PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

runout_mick
08-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Why is it that, while perusing the two plus two forums, I can respect and admire a posters sentiments until they spell the word losing "loosing". At this point, my brain automatically reasesses my opinion of them, and I am left with very little but contempt for them and the ideas they forward.

I'm a spelling and grammar snob. How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

I'd seriously love to hear how twisted I really am...

KeysrSoze
08-28-2005, 01:58 AM
you spelled reassess wrong

runout_mick
08-28-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you spelled reassess wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

crap

I didn't respect what I posted anyway...

DarrenX
08-28-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm with you... my peeve is your and you're... yikes. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

imported_bingobazza
08-28-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a spelling and grammar snob. How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tink the way you make decisions is pretty deepley flawed toooo say the least....psssst....wanna game of pooker?

Bingo

krubban
08-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Many of those visiting these boards may not have english as their native language, I for one had to have it beat into me that it's spelled "losing" and not "loosing" which felt more natural to me.
I apologize in advance for any hidden errors in my grammar.

/swedish "looser"

runout_mick
08-28-2005, 09:49 AM
This helps. Thanks.

08-29-2005, 02:11 AM
A lot of people just don't put much thought into their spelling and grammar. They're just spewing all their thoughts on the subject. This isn't bad, it's just how people post on the internet sometimes. I think maybe you should just repeat to yourself, "Incorrect spelling and/or grammar does not make this person an idiot."

Michael Emery
08-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Loook young'in, you're beef wit gramar and spelin is trifulin. Get a lif'e homie.

Mike Emery

Maddenboy
08-29-2005, 03:16 AM
. . . until THEY SPELL (s/b "he spells") the word wrong . . . .

A grammar snob would know that one uses "they" to talk about a group of people, but "he" or "she" to talk about an individual person. You discuss "a" person who somehow becomes multiple people later in the same sentence.

Same for . . . reassesses my opinion of THEM (s/b "him"), and twice more in that same sentence.

Oddly, in your next paragraph, you get it corrected. Now THAT's pretty "twisted."

And I really dislike all the flame posts on 2+2, but you did ask for this one. Almost in a masochistic way.

4_2_it
08-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Most of the 'loosers' are just bad 'gambooolers'. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave H.
08-29-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... admire a posters sentiments...

[/ QUOTE ]

"posters" is possessive...you forgot the apostrophe...

On another note, I tend to scrutinize grammar and spelling mistakes as well, although I wouldn't call myself a snob about it. The best lesson I ever learned came from my boss. When I was hired on as a programmer, the first email I received was from this man. I had already been programming for over 20 years at the time, and I never had met anyone who was a citizen of the U.S. who could butcher the English language quite as well as he could. His spelling, punctuation, grammar...all were atrocious. Now I had worked with many systems analysts and programmers over the years and had a lot of respect for their abilities. However, this man who butchered our language was by far the best analyst I had ever come across. He couldn't structure a sentence, but he could design a system in minutes in his head faster than I could do so in a month, and his design would only need minor tweaking to boot!

Each of us has his talents. I knew that, but the example above certainly drove the idea home!

Dave H.
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, "persons" is also possessive...another missing apostrophe...tsk, tsk

xniNja
08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I feel the same way, but usually not about just one typo or an incorrect spelling. When someone's ability to communicate is poor, it is somewhat disturbing or at best an annoyance to have to deal with that person.

Since this is the psychology board, I'll add that I think it has to do with a feeling or lack thereof of personal connection. For example, I consider myself intelligent, literate, and articulate. Like so, on academic topics, in particular, I enjoy conversing with people who I can be confident will at least understand and be able to communicate ideas on a basic level.

Poor grammar and spelling, although, not always, in my experience, have often indicated weak communication and weak thought to begin with.

kiddj
08-29-2005, 12:29 PM
You also did not use a question mark at the end of your first sentence.

pokerrookie
08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Lighten up. The question is, are they effectively communicating with you?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

gildwulf
08-29-2005, 12:55 PM
helpful link (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony)

Bodhi
08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this persons character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the possessive apostrophe in "person's?"

VarlosZ
08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ttah's olny ture to a letimed eentnxt, olubivosy.

Seriously, though, the little stuff like "lose/loose" doesn't bother me, but I admit I do judge pretty harshly when someone forgoes all punctuation and capitalization.

Dave H.
08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I already got him on that, Bodhi...lol

Missing Apostrophe (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3262616&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

runout_mick
08-29-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

runout_mick
08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I love this thread. I knew I was going to get extra-roasted for posting it (and should have proofread the crap out of it), but I do make judgements of a person's intelligence based not only on the content of their sentiments, but the syntax as well. I know this isn't fair, and (usually) inaccurate, but it's how I make snap judgements on people.

I only posted in the first place because I became angry about my immediate response when a poster whom I admired and respected made ONE spelling error. In my mind his opinion lost value, and to me that was unjustified.

Hence my post here was essentially just to vent against my own closed-mindedness as I see myself as usually very tolerant.

Thanks for the burn, I needed it...

spaminator101
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
leets joust sae yuor raelly twitsed

vexvelour
08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
When you're only know by your typing, in a forum spelling is key. It makes or breaks someones credibility for me.

Mikey
08-29-2005, 10:12 PM
some people on here have great writing ability and can't play worth crap.

Some people on here have great poker ability and can't write for crap.

Some people on here have both great poker ability and great writing ability.

The reason I'm on this forum is not to see how well you write but how well you can teach me something new about poker.

autobet
08-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Go heare ant heav funn:

grammar snobs message board (http://mb.sparknotes.com/mb.epl?b=2437&p=8)

SheetWise
08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
affect / effect

SNOWBALL138
08-30-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a spelling and grammar snob. How can one error (probably just a typo) affect my judgement of this person's s character so adversely?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Dolt.