PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Trip results and 30-60 hand

12-31-2001, 03:00 PM
I was in Vegas between the 25th and 30th. Got a chance to shoot the breeze with Mason and Vince and also Roy Cooke. Vince, I am sorry that we were unable to meet on Saturday night for dinner. Next time buddy. Also got a chance to meet “Hosh”. I had played with him on previous trips...he’s a terrific player. My thanks to him for his “Hosh’s tip of the week” posts...keep ‘em coming. Met Abdul briefly but did not get a chance to talk at length...again, hopefully next time.

Poker Results:

10/20 1 hour -250

15/30 14 hours +135

20/40 20 hours +1200

30/60 8 hours -280

Total: 43 hours +805

A very frustrating week of cards (only one AA in 43 hours...man...) which saw me play some of the most boring poker I have ever played. My session results read like results from a 5-10 game. My biggest win was $710 over 8 hours in a 20-40 game and my biggest loss was 665 over 6 hours in a 15-30 game. The 15/30 and 20/40 games were generally very good. On most nights, there were at least one or two players in the games who clearly had no hold ‘em experience at all. There were several multiway pots in these games each night.

I played 30/60 on my last night in Vegas (Saturday). The game had one maniac, a couple of loose players and what seemed like 6 tough pros who were extremely difficult opponents. The level of thinking in this game was definitely a notch or two higher than the 15/30 and 20/40 games that I had been playing earlier in the week.

I will post a few hands from my trip later this week. Here’s one from the 30-60 game:

A tough player raises under the gun. The maniac is in the small blind and one of the two loose players is in the big blind. I have 99 a couple of spots to the left of UTG. I coldcall his raise anticipating that at least the two players in the blinds would call and that there would perhaps also be a call from the loose player to my immediate left which hopefully would attract calls from some of the others as well. No dice. Everyone else folds leaving me heads-up with the toughie.

Flop: J22 with two clubs

He bets and I raise. He 3 bets. I call.

Turn: J

He checks. I bet. He raises. I think for a while and fold. He tables 77 and takes the pot. He obviously read me very well. Not quite sure why he tabled his 77 though. I think he would have benefitted more by just mucking his cards after I folded.

Anyway, this is a play that I don’t normally see in the Vancouver games and did not see in the 15/30 and 20/40 games in Vegas. It would appear that the toughie correctly deduced that my most likely hand was a pocket pair like TT/99/88/77/66 which I would lay down if he checkraised the turn. I assume that he thought it was unlikely that I would be the first coldcaller of his raise with a Jack in my hand (this hand occurred about 4 hours into the session). The second Jack on the turn should make it that much more unlikely that I called his preflop raise with a Jack in my hand. Most 15/30 players would be terrified at the sight of the second Jack on the turn given my flop raise but this guy saw it as his ticket to take down the pot.

Who knows. Maybe he was thinking something completely different but in any event, I thought it was a bold and terrific play by my opponent.

I will post some other hands later on.

12-31-2001, 06:49 PM
skp,

Nice report and interesting hand. What I find interesting is since your opponent is a tough player, that flop couldn't help him at all. So, now you have to decide if he has a big pocket pair, most likely AA, KK, QQ, or does he have AK, AQ. With the J on the turn, I would have done the same as you did, but I would have called his raise. The reason why, is because I don't think the board helps him at all. Furthermore, he must think that you are weak since you only called his raise preflop. So, he decided to represent the big pair, but heads up in this situation I'm going to call him down.

Good Luck

Mark

12-31-2001, 07:34 PM
Hey Sid,

Sounds like a unspectacular but enjoyable enough trip (just like mine!). Congrats on a decent, low-variance win.

Can you e-mail me at terrence@telus.net ? I got a new computer and lost your e-mail and I have a question for you. Thanks.

12-31-2001, 11:14 PM
"With the J on the turn, I would have done the same as you did, but I would have called his raise. The reason why, is because I don't think the board helps him at all. Furthermore, he must think that you are weak since you only called his raise preflop. So, he decided to represent the big pair, but heads up in this situation I'm going to call him down."

then isnt reraising the turn and checking behind on the river the best play? methinks it is.

01-01-2002, 12:39 AM
mike l.,

I stick with just calling his check-raise on the turn. Here's my reasoning.

The I figure it from how he's played his hand I rule out a JJ or AJ. I don't think either of these hands would check-raise the turn. The hands that could beat me would be AA, KK, and QQ. That's 18 combinations, but he could have easily raised preflop with AK or AQ. That's 32 combinations. So, I figure that I'm a possible 1.78-to-1 favorite so far.

If I reraise his check raise he may fold. I think this is a good opportunity to get him to bluff the river by betting out.

Mark

01-01-2002, 06:00 AM
yes, but if he has AQ or AK, then he has a serious chance to improve. A 3-bet will likely get him to lay it down...or maybe not.

Worm

01-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Gummy Worm,

I think that a three bet could be a problem. The first is what do you do if he makes it 4 bets.

I'm going to work on the math on this one, but I believe against this type of player, knowing that he reads you well, and will bet medium pairs, I think you can go ahead and make it three bets.

With other players I think it is a close decision between calling and raising. I prefer the calling if your opponent will bet out on the river. I think with just calling you give yourself the chance to lose less money.