PDA

View Full Version : Was this a good time to bluff? 25 PLO

08-27-2005, 11:34 PM
I tried to use the hand convertor, but I got confused and gave up, so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to make it work. As for the hand, this opponent had just called my river pot bet with Qs full against my As full (I made As full on turn, check it then potted river) so I figured that he would have to have something fairly good to call my pot bet this hand as to not be trapped by me again. Or maybe the fact he called me with a non nut hand was a perfect reason not to bet this river, I'm horrible at PLO which is why I'm playing the 25 game, but I'm trying to learn. The only thing I was certain of was that the 3c on the river didn't help him. I usually just nut peddle, but this seemed like the perfect spot to pick up a pot. My turn call was made with the intention of making the play I did on the river regardless of whether I actually made my hand or not.

PP $25 PL Omaha

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 8: amauiman ( $33.70 )
Seat 9: bzahn ( $5.75 )
Seat 6: Me ( $37.85 )
Seat 5: Mooordie ( $14.50 )
Seat 3: BaseBalla19 ( $18.55 )
antcwil posts small blind [$0.10].
Mooordie posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Me [ 7d As Kc Ad ]
Me calls [$0.25].
amauiman calls [$0.25].
bzahn calls [$0.25].
antcwil calls [$0.15].
Mooordie checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Td, Qc, 8s ]
antcwil checks.
Mooordie checks.
Me checks.
amauiman checks.
bzahn checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4d ]
BIG_T40 has joined the table.
antcwil checks.
Mooordie checks.
Me bets [$1.25].
amauiman raises [$5].
bzahn folds.
antcwil folds.
Mooordie folds.
Me calls [$3.75].
** Dealing River ** [ 3c ]
Me bets [$10.70].
amauiman folds.

Me shows [ 7d, As, Kc, Ad ] a pair of aces.

DRKEVDC
08-29-2005, 09:57 AM
I think that your river bet is fine, understanding that it a semi bluff. I think that the board is uncoordinated enough that your A's were probably good. I think that your play up to that point was awful though.

liquid
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I was certain of was that the 3c on the river didn't help him.

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly, from foe's perspective, it couldn't have helped you. If I'm foe I'd have trouble putting you on anything other than a busted draw that justifies your action on this hand -- checked three-straight flop, no re-raise on turn, PSB on blank river. I don't mind betting the river in case foe stumbled into a weak two pair, but in this situation ~$4 would be as effective as (maybe more effective than) $10.70. Like DRKEVDC said, there's a good chance you are bluffing with the best hand.

RoundTower
08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that your river bet is fine, understanding that it a semi bluff. I think that the board is uncoordinated enough that your A's were probably good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls you on the river, you still have a load of outs?

If your aces are probably good, then you don't need to bet. I think the OP played his hand very badly.

08-29-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that your river bet is fine, understanding that it a semi bluff. I think that the board is uncoordinated enough that your A's were probably good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls you on the river, you still have a load of outs?

If your aces are probably good, then you don't need to bet. I think the OP played his hand very badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why PLO is by far my worst game, without the nuts I'm really pretty lost on what do do in hands. Preflop I can't really do anything other than limp. The raise obviously marks me with aces in a low limit game and it's not going to eliminate anyone. On the flop with aces I sometimes bet out, I sometimes check. Usually a check if there's a flush draw since nobody's folding it for a dollar and it's hard to lead the turn again with just one pair. On this flop I had planned to check/fold because of the straight possibilities.

As for the turn, I think betting out as I did was fine since nobody had showed interest in the hand and I've now picked up nut flush draw, since the 4d is extremely unlikely to have helped my opponent in any reasonable way other than give him a losing flush draw. Should I be folding to his raise or reraising instead of calling?

River, as I said I bet because I thought I had a legitimate chance at taking the pot down with the worst hand since I didn't figure this player to be someone to call without at least a set and given the action so far that did not seem to be a likely holding. If I check the river and he bet I don't see how I can possibly call with a pair. Whether he bet or checked behind me I figured it was fairly likely he held some random two pair to beat me.

I'm glad that I posted a hand like this one as opposed to a generic hand where I have the nuts and there's only one reasonable way to play it, because situations like these are where I need to improve my game quite a bit.

I'd be interested to hear what the optimum actions for each street would be? The only actions that I feel were correct are the preflop limp and the bet on the turn to try and just take the pot.

Lafortezza
08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Be aware that Villain might have been bluffing/semi-bluffing with his turn raise, and when you bet the river had might not have had a pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RoundTower
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be aware that Villain might have been bluffing/semi-bluffing with his turn raise, and when you bet the river had might not have had a pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you should check it down, though. If you had played the hand in this way and somehow realised you had 9 high, it would have been a good time to bluff.