PDA

View Full Version : Middle Pair Overcard Kicker

tj00
04-11-2003, 06:09 AM
I want to post hands that represent weakness in my game. Middle/Small pair overcard kicker with maybe a backdoor st8 or flush draw is something i have porblems with.

$1/2 loose\passive

In the SB with A7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Preflop: 6 limpers to me, i complete, BB checks

Flop: [T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ,7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ,6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ]

Ok i lead out (mistake?), i usually like to lead out just to get a feel for where i stand, but what conditions (e.g. pot size, aggressiveness) should determine whether leading out or checking is the right play. What affects does the st8/flush draw on the board have on my decision.

Ok back to the action:

BB calls, EP Raises(Top Pair, Trips, St8, On Draw ?), 5 Callers, I call, BB Calls.

I think my call here is easy, but what if it was a closer decision are my Ace outs clean do i give myself an extra out for the backdoor flush?

Turn: A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif - Nice Card for Me

I bet out again (Mistake?) Should i go for the check raise to knock people out. I wanted to see what to EP raiser would do with Ace on the board.

BB folds, Rest call, (Put EP on a Ten or a Draw)

Looks like i am in the lead.

River: K /forums/images/icons/club.gif - Nice card for me again

AK could be out there, but no raise pre-flop or on the turn i doubt it.

I bet EP calls, 2 more callers (both with smaller 2 pair),one had T7 where was he at on the flop betting.

EP turns over 66 for floped trips. what the ...???

Advice on how to play this as well as this type of hand will greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is asking too much. I think this kind of hand is a leak in my game.

Next post will definitely be overcards that miss the flop, but need to find/play a good example first.

Bob T.
04-11-2003, 12:25 PM
EP was trapped, in a game with alot of callers, if he raises on the big bet street, he could lose all of the players behind him. He called, and tried to get the overcallers behind him. With a nice nonnut hand, there would be some risk to him if he raises, but by calling, he might capture as many bets as if he raised, but with only one bet risk to himself. I think you played the hand reasonably.

JTG51
04-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Betting second pair on the flop from EP is much better on a less coordinated board, something like Th 7s 2c for example.

You want to make those bets when you have a good chance to win the pot right there. With all the possible straight and flush draws, it's not very likely that everyone will fold on this flop. If you get a couple of callers on this flop it will be very hard to read if they are calling with a pair or with a draw.