PDA

View Full Version : Nasty set on 4 flush board - what line??

SackUp
08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Should i have bet this turn? Bad value bet on river?

Both players are pretty donkey, which makes me not like my river bet, but they showed no strength or signs of a heart.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

thirddan
08-27-2005, 08:02 PM
im more inclined to bet the turn (while i still have outs) and can possibly get a gutshot to fold.) and take a free showdown if i don't fill up than to check the turn and bet the river...

i really don't like the river bet...

TheHammer24
08-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Acting last on the turn I bet the turn. If you get check raised call with your ten outs and fold the river UI.

A_C_Slater
08-27-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Acting last on the turn I bet the turn. If you get check raised call with your ten outs and fold the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. And if they just call the turn and donk bet the river? I think I throw up and fold.

sy_or_bust
08-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure a turn bet has to be correct. There aren't many weaker hands that will call this bet, and it's likely ~zero better hands will fold. You may even be checkraised with outs (this might even be the most likely result of your bet).

When you check the turn, any decent heart is betting at you and you create a situation where worse hands will consider calling a river bet. Also, sometimes you will fill up and get in a raise, sometimes you will have an easy fold to a bet and raise, etc.

Entity
08-27-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure a turn bet has to be correct. There aren't many weaker hands that will call this bet, and it's likely ~zero better hands will fold.

You may even be checkraised with outs (this might even be the most likely result of your bet).

When you check the turn, any decent heart is betting at you and you create a situation where worse hands will consider calling a river bet. Also, sometimes you will fill up and get in a raise, sometimes you will have an easy fold to a bet and raise, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that if no one has a /images/graemlins/heart.gif, betting will save you 2/3 of the pot 19.5% of the time. That's fairly important, especially when many people will not check the turn intending to checkraise on a 4-flushed board. Since that effectively means losing yourself 6BB about 19.5% of the time, it's quite important to protect your hand as best possible here.

Betting the turn here is much preferrable to checking the turn and betting the river UI. Overall you're looking at a gain of about .7BB by betting, assuming you call the checkraise if you get c/r'd and fold the river UI.

Rob