PDA

View Full Version : tourny hand

djr
08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
I think calling the completion on 3rd and 4th street were kinda fishy (comments). But how about when I hit two pair on 5th? I was planning on check-calling the river, but when I hit the ace I liked my position a little better and decided to bet out.

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High - Level I (15/30), Ante 2, Bring-In 5 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

Seat 1: 1,537
Seat 2: 1,091
Seat 3: 3,148
Seat 5: 994
Hero: 1,494
Seat 7: 3,528
Seat 8: 1,708

3rd Street - (0.93 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___brings-in___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls

4th Street - (6.93 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds

5th Street - (5.47 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Hero: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

6th Street - (7.47 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets

River - (9.47 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

Total pot: 11.47 BB

grb137
08-27-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think calling the completion on 3rd and 4th street were kinda fishy (comments).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

[ QUOTE ]
But how about when I hit two pair on 5th?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, your early mistakes put you in a bad position, because you need to call down with these two pair unless you become obviously beat. The pots two big at this point to justify folding.

[ QUOTE ]
I was planning on check-calling the river, but when I hit the ace I liked my position a little better and decided to bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what catching an ace has to do with your "position" - do you mean your relative strength in that your Ace makes it less likely that he started with split aces? I think this is not a good way to look at things.

I think check-call is the right move. He's gonna likely fold 1 pair, and if he's got two pair you're probably beat considering all the overcards he's showin.

djr
08-27-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what catching an ace has to do with your "position" - do you mean your relative strength in that your Ace makes it less likely that he started with split aces? I think this is not a good way to look at things.

[/ QUOTE ]

poor choice of words, I meant relative strength

PoorLawyer
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I would have raised 3rd. I think if you do that the hand plays out totally differently as some of the riff raff would not have called. I would definitely call the completion at this stage of the tourney too. Once you get your 2 pair I like your chances to win the pot but I still would check-call the river.

kschellenger
08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
3rd: I would complete
4th: Given the way you played 3rd, this is a fishy play.
5th: Good
6th: Good
7th: Check-Call 100% of the time regardless of you catching the ace because he has played it like he has an ace the whole way and you've still got to think he's got an ace right? I think in this situation you will lose 2 bets MUCH more often than you will gain 1 bet by betting out.

djr
08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks for the comments guys. Stud-hi isn't my best game, although luckily I won this hand and managed to pull 10th in the satellite of several hundred (unfortunately only 4th and up won anything).

At the time of the hand I saw the big overcards yet to act and got a little scared, but I think this goes back to some of the posts last week about raising 3rd with JJ9 and being able to fold if reraised by the big card if you're not suited, but seeing 4th if suited.
Which does bring a question...Say my hand was JJ8 with the eight suited instead of offsuit as in the actual case. I complete 3rd but get raised by the ace. Do you still call to see fourth as in the JJ9 case?