PDA

View Full Version : Car Accident

Saddlepoint
08-27-2005, 07:40 PM
So about two weeks ago, I got into my first car accident.

It went down like this. I was pulling into a really tight and uncomfortable parking lot behind a convenience store, a car started pulling out right in front of me, and it was the kind of lot where he wouldn't have been able to get out if I hadn't moved. So I switch into reverse, and right as I start backing up, I collide with a car pulling out of a space behind me.

So I'm like "owned," and I point to my hat. I pull up a few feet and park, turn off The Smiths, and get out. I check to see whether the guy could take me in a fight (yes, not close). He seemed mildly irritated, but I mean I imagine that's normal for this kind of a situation. There's a small dent in his rear bumper, and in mine. The paint is a barely scratched on my car, I don't notice anything on his. I'm in an SUV and he's in like a Jeep or something, what looks like a nicer car.

I try to stay calm, and I tell him I'm going to get my information, so I hand him my license and registration and stuff (which I think from TV is what I'm supposed to do), and he asks for my address/phone number, and writes his information down on a little card and hands it to me. Then he shows me a badge and says (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm on duty right now, so I'd really rather we not get the cops involved. It's minor as hell, and nobody wants their insurance to go up, so let's just handle it between us." While I felt I handled it pretty well, he figured out pretty quickly that this was my first accident and I actually think tried to be comforting.

Here's the thing. I haven't actually been driving for a long time. I don't really feel comfortable yet. And, this guy, besides being much older, was a cop. And I can afford a few thousand dollars to pay for everybody's damages (thanks 2+2!). So I had just assumed that it was my fault and I was going to take responsibility and just get it over with.

It's been like two weeks now and he hasn't called me. Someone more worldy than I am, maybe who just knows more about situations like these: should I call him? Should I forget about it? I mean obviously I'm paying for my own car, but could he show up in like a month claiming I never paid him? We never filled out a police report or notified the insurance companies, as far as I know. I'm not really sure what to do.

And then this morning, my mom pointed out that he was moving too and never honked, so maybe he assumed that it wasn't totally my fault, and is paying for his own car. I really don't know.

Any flaming appreciated.

KidPokerX
08-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Sounds to me like you lucked out ... atleast so far. I would suggest calling him and making sure its all clear between you two. It could be that he is waiting for you to make the call and could easily take you to small claims court if he wishes. I'd play it safe and stay on his good side. Call him up b/c you never know - he may be chill about it and pay for his car himself.

Lazymeatball
08-27-2005, 07:59 PM
He has your number, if he expected you to pay for his car he would have called you by now. And no police report means you don't have to worry about small claims court, especially considering it was his idea to avoid the police report, which would look very awkward in court, him being a police officer and all. You're in the clear homey.

jrbick
08-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Call him. Pay him.

Eurotrash
08-27-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm like "owned," and I point to my hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean "point to your hat" like this? Because this is honestly the only thing I can think of when you say that

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/1992/brilliant7lb.jpg

mmbt0ne
08-27-2005, 08:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Call him. Pay him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, it's the guy backing out's fault. You are in the road he is trying to gain access to. Unless of course, he had backed out already, and then you backed into him. If you were backing up, then he backed into you it's his fault, and that's why he didnt't want to get the police involved.

zephed
08-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Just forget about it. It's probably too much of a hassle for him to fix anything, because it's so minor.

I'm pretty sure this happens all the time.

istewart
08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean "point to your hat" like this? Because this is honestly the only thing I can think of when you say that

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

handsome
08-27-2005, 08:54 PM
A few thousand dollars to pay for damages? You mean like $150, right? Give him a courtesy call, see what's up, and if you can get in touch with him, forget about it.

snakehead
08-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I doubt he was a cop. regardless, he didn't want the cops to come or for it to be turned in to the insurance companies because he was afraid it was his fault, or he didn't have insurance. fix you car and forget about it. if he comes after you, turn it over to your insurance company.

DDC67
08-27-2005, 09:09 PM
After reading the information you provide, I wouldn't worry about paying for his damage. The argument can be made that you were both equally to blame. When you're involved in an accident, it is important to report it right away. In my state, it is a crime (misdemeanor) if you don't report an accident with either personal injury or property damage &gt; $1000. I can't say for certain, but I'm sure your state has similar laws. I think you are probably all set.

astroglide
08-27-2005, 09:39 PM
i would contact him incase my contact info was lost or illegible. leave a message, that sort of thing. after that it's up to him, but i think i would make at least one active effort to reach him.

Saddlepoint
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was exactly what I meant. Yes, I really did it.

ddss6_99
08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
For future reference. You should always get a police report. If you didn't, and left the scene, he could file a hit and run on you. Dick move, yes, especially if he himself was a cop, but I'd rather have myself covered.

zephed
08-28-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he was a cop. regardless, he didn't want the cops to come or for it to be turned in to the insurance companies because he was afraid it was his fault, or he didn't have insurance. fix you car and forget about it. if he comes after you, turn it over to your insurance company.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, now that I think about it, you should hire a PI (or stalk him yourself) and figure out what kind of shady business he's into. Then blackmail him.

nothumb
08-28-2005, 02:47 AM
I'd say you're the one who got owned here. He probably would have had to pay for your damages at best, at worst you were definitely not paying for him and he knew it. All the noobs suggesting you call him had better mean that you're trying to get him to pay for YOUR damage.

Never admit fault in at an accident scene (doesn't sound like you did, but nonetheless, don't). I wouldn't immediately volunteer your registation and license either. You need to get out and see what the cards hold, then make the call. In this case you didn't get burned, but in some less fortunate circumstances you could have taken a big loss.

NT

Jim Kuhn
08-28-2005, 02:51 AM
He had no insurance and did not want the cops to be called? I would not worry about it unless you want your car fixed and think he may have to pay for it.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif