PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I Suck Once I Get In The Money

PokerProdigy
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
I play the $10/1 nl holdem sng's at party poker and they pay out the top three spots in the normal 50/30/20 structure. I feel like my game has got pretty good early in the tourney and on the bubble. However, once I get in the money I don't feel like I know what I am doing. What I am looking for is some sort of basic strategy to play with for awhile (until I get better at ITM play) that tells me what to do with certain hands when 3 handed and when 2 handed in an sng. So if someone could give me some advice about this I will forever be indebted to you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Myst
08-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Ok, remember these lessons well.

Lesson #1: PUSH
Lesson #2: FOLD

bones
08-27-2005, 07:06 PM
This should have been handled by ForumBot.

johnny005
08-27-2005, 07:08 PM
That is very good advice... U should be pushing a high percentage of your hands... U have 3rd locked So shoot for 1st.
You should have more 1sts and 3rds than 2nds, If your playing correctly

SlackerMcFly
08-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Remember your position and FE. When 1st to act, you should push with a very wide range of hands.

When you are pushed into, your calling range is should be pretty tight, especially if both players are in the hand.

Push more hands, call with premium hands (or maybe a little looser), fold marginal cards.

If someone completes from the SB, push over the top as they are displaying weakness. Don't min-raise or complete from the SB, shove it all in or fold.

All of this assumes that you are pretty evenly stacked. Your push/fold range changes if you are the Biggie (or the smallie) accordingly.

Just grow some hair and learn to play position, not your cards. At the $11's, it is pretty much push/fold ITM. Very little in the way of tricky play.

Good luck! SlackaMcWhacked

citanul
08-27-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is very good advice... U should be pushing a high percentage of your hands... U have 3rd locked So shoot for 1st.
You should have more 1sts and 3rds than 2nds, If your playing correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

blah, i think that part of a lot of people's problems lately is that since the new level, itm play often starts early enough that pushing is not a great option for most stack sizes heroes can have, so they're left all confused with 15 bets or so, not wanting to raise, and not wanting to push, and wind up folding a bit too much.

thus, the best advice i can give is really "learn when to push, but don't be afraid to raise less than all in when you haev a reasonable stack, and learn to play poker."

citanul

johnny005
08-27-2005, 09:25 PM
yeah your right about that, I had to adjust my bubble play alot when that neqw level came in. Wasnt a problem really but it was noticeable.
I find it helpfull to try a few things out pre flop when the blinds are lower like.
1)In SB i might limp with a hand I know i will fold if he raises , just too see how he will react to it, If he raises I know I might be able to get him later with a premium hand when the blinds are larger.
2)When they call from SB when yoru BB Pop them good, U cant let them get in with bad hands.. I'll raise almost any 2 when they do this and get tighter the more times i have to do it.
Anything else anyone can think of?
Maybe we can start up a thread with small pointers for ITM play.. Feel free to knock anything I said as well

PokerProdigy
08-27-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember your position and FE. When 1st to act, you should push with a very wide range of hands.

When you are pushed into, your calling range is should be pretty tight, especially if both players are in the hand.

Push more hands, call with premium hands (or maybe a little looser), fold marginal cards.

If someone completes from the SB, push over the top as they are displaying weakness. Don't min-raise or complete from the SB, shove it all in or fold.

All of this assumes that you are pretty evenly stacked. Your push/fold range changes if you are the Biggie (or the smallie) accordingly.

Just grow some hair and learn to play position, not your cards. At the $11's, it is pretty much push/fold ITM. Very little in the way of tricky play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you guys get a little more specific about how to play with 3 left. Like maybe give some exact guidelines.

Myst
08-27-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you guys get a little more specific about how to play with 3 left. Like maybe give some exact guidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

LEARN TO PLAY POKER. DONT WASTE MY TIME. I DONT GIVE OUT CHEAT SHEETS.

johnny005
08-27-2005, 09:27 PM
were here to help you out not play the game for you.. Almost everone here got where they are by playing ALOT of games.. Along with help and study through 2+2 you will get there dont rush things. A guide doesnt really help you get better.. You really need to be flexible when you get in the money because its all about gambling it up! :P

bluefeet
08-27-2005, 09:28 PM
pp, i'm hoping you might know me well enough to know i'm not being a smartass here....

i did a quick search on "+ITM -re" under our STT forum. pa-LENTY of hits. might help to spend some time digging through these for some very specific examples (will be myself, as long as we're on the topic)

gl

Edit: select "subject only" btw

prepotency
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone completes from the SB, push over the top as they are displaying weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often find myself making these moves from UTG, UTG+1 and then either getting a string of callers or getting pushed off my hand from a late position player on the flop/turn. What is your range for this move and how many players should be in the hand?

eastbay
08-27-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can give an exact guideline:

Always make the play that maximizes your $EV.

eastbay

bluefeet
08-27-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
search on "+ITM -re" under our STT forum. ....select "subject only"

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously! run, don't walk! no more questions, go read! do it for "2 months" or newer. read every post and every reply. i gaurentee results.

go!

johnny005
08-27-2005, 09:38 PM
The move works better when youor him are below 10BB. U dont ahve to worry about post flop play when your all in

PokerProdigy
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Since nobody is willing to give me some sort of 3 handed and heads-up guideline to start with, I was wondering if I made up my own guideline could I pm it to some of you guys so that you can evaluate it and help me if it's bad and tell me if it's good.

durron597
08-27-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since nobody is willing to give me some sort of 3 handed and heads-up guideline to start with, I was wondering if I made up my own guideline could I pm it to some of you guys so that you can evaluate it and help me if it's bad and tell me if it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got some links for you:

Guide 1 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880685000/qid=1125197720/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4602720-4016954?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Guide 2 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880685353/qid=1125197740/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-4602720-4016954?v=glance&s=books)

Guide 3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880685280/102-4602720-4016954?v=glance)

Good luck!

08-27-2005, 11:33 PM
I think your missing the point that everyone is trying to make. That is poker isn't finite and there are different strategies to use all the time. Good luck with all the reading suggested thus far though /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

citanul
08-27-2005, 11:45 PM
this thread is funny.

i went to dinner and everyone else was mean.

it's like i don't even need to be here...

btw, it's quickly becoming "i hate messy_jesse" without the myst part.

oh well.

off to watch movies or something.

citanul

Newt_Buggs
08-28-2005, 12:44 AM
this guide (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2497705&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) should be able to help with any tournament questions, enjoy /images/graemlins/grin.gif