PDA

View Full Version : AJo tptk, poorly played?

haakee
04-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Here's a hand that I (and others in the hand) played unusually. I was at about the end of a 5 hour session and was beginning to get a bit tired, I think it was starting to affect my play.

Northern Cali 8-16 game. 8-handed. About 3 reasonable players, one weak-tight (no, I'm not talking about myself /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ), and a few bad loose players. I get AJo in UTG+1 and open with a raise. Player immediately to my left 3-bets. He has been playing reasonably well. SB (passive, very tight) cold calls. BB (loose aggressive) calls. 4 to the flop for 12sb.

Flop is Jxx rainbow. I check. EMP bets, SB calls, BB, calls. I call. 4 to the turn for 8bb.

Turn is an offsuit T. Checked to me. I bet out. EMP just calls. SB calls. 3 to the river for 11bb.

River: Q. Checked around.

Results to follow.

cferejohn
04-10-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure I love raising with AJo UTG+1 in this game texture. The bad loose players will call with any kind of hand no matter what, and putting more money in the pot makes it more correct for them to call with draws on later streets. The 'reasonable' players and the weak-tight will only call/raise when they have something better than you (best case scenerio for EMP I think is TT). If it was 5 handed, I think I'd like it alot more.

haakee
04-10-2003, 08:39 PM
SB flips over his terribly played QQ. I muck, EMP mucks. He asks what I had. I say, "I forget." Then I ask what he had. He says AJ. I think he wanted to take a shot at me because I'd been open raising very thin preflop (we'd been shorthanded for a little bit, and it was occasionally getting folded to me in the cutoff or on the button). He put me on TT when I bet the turn.

Robk
04-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Why not bet the flop, and hope to get a raise right behind you? This pot is pretty big. In addition there is some chance the raiser would check (albeit small) with a hand like AK or AQ, and you definitely don't want to risk giving a free card.