PDA

View Full Version : Too weak?

Misfire
08-27-2005, 04:49 PM
$5+.50
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1950)
BB (t3185)
UTG (t1395)
MP (t2005)
CO (t4430)
Button (t2035)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t225

(and yes, I know it's a n00b question, so keep your flamethrowers on safety)

wookie
08-27-2005, 04:54 PM
yes.

you need to pick up those blinds when you get chances to.

push, unless you think the BB will fold to a min raise.

- w

Damian UK
08-27-2005, 05:01 PM
I would defo raise here - but push? the OP has 13 BB, why risk walking into a monster? surely a 3-5 XBB raise will be enough?

Cheers

Damian

pokerlaw
08-27-2005, 05:04 PM
folding this is pretty bad, unless I am sitting to your left /images/graemlins/smile.gif

raise it up to t450. or, at least call and try to see a flop.

chopchoi
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
most of the time, i think this hand is too weak to push with, but too good to fold.

if bb is a normal or tight player, i raise to 3 or 4x bb and let it go if he comes over the top.

if he's a caillng station, i just call and see a flop.

if he's the type who is likely to come over the top if i raise to 3-4x bb, and who will always raise when i call from sb, i push or fold. i probably fold. i still have a decent sized stack. there will probably be a better spot to get my chips in the middle if i wait. then again, just calling, then pushing against a raise might also be a good way to play an aggressive player in this spot.

lastchance
08-27-2005, 06:47 PM
I find it very hard to envision a situation where I would do what you just did.

My standard line is 3x BB, but I push this as well.

This is a face-up +$EV push vs a fold. So, obviously, folding sucks.

wookie
08-28-2005, 01:11 PM
First off, you need to mix up your bets - pushing is always an option. Two more things:

1. your chances of running into a monster are very small

2. KTo is a fairly weak hand, and pushing will likely cause BB to fold many hands that would beat you, like many PP, weak aces, maybe even KQ, etc.

To expand more on the second point, you push not because you have a strong hand, but because you don't. You can't stand up to a reraise, and if BB calls your 3x raise you will be out of position, probably miss the flop and have to check and fold anyway. So why bother?

The only alternative is the 2x minraise - IF you think BB is passive enough to let go his weaker hands and not make a play. Why risk more chips if 2x will get it done? If BB reraises you know you are beat and can get away, and if he calls you still have the post flop problem noted above, but for less cost.

- w

Oluwafemi
08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
4 folds, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it's not too weak. look at your options. depending on how aggressive BB is, limping alot of times is just giving away more free money. players at this level will routinely mini-raise (1XBB limit raise) or to 3XBB when you limp, so what are you gonna do, go to war with K 10o? an observant player like me will notice how many times you complete or how many times you raise [and how much] and will force you to play by bluff raising back in the BB. i give more respect to players who are more willing to relinquish their SBs when they know they have suspect holdings. when the finally do come in with a raise, even with a bigger stack, i'm less likely to try something off the wall. i don't like the option of raising with this hand in your spot either because whether you're called or reraised, their both bad spots. nothing wrong with folding here.