PDA

View Full Version : Advice

skycap
04-10-2003, 05:27 PM
I need some advice. I am an average-ish player looking to improve. I play mostly 3-6 to 5-10 on Paradise and occasionally in Detroit.

My issue:
I feel I am pretty good at pre-flop hand selection, but I frequently misjudge the value of my hands post-flop. I take hands that looked good before the flop (but lose value on and after the flop) too far too often. (i.e. Raise pre-flop KQs in mid/late position, then chase a 3 flush with 2 overcards on the flop.) I know this is not ideal (actually pretty far from ideal) play, but I would like some advice on how to break out of this habit.

Since I started keeping track, over 23 sessions, I am still a winner to the tune of $21ish hourly with a standard deviation around $93.

Any advice?

--skycap from Ohio

Ulysses
04-10-2003, 05:33 PM
I would like some advice on how to break out of this habit.

Fold more when the flop misses you.

Louie Landale
04-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Except when you are dominated, hand values run pretty close before the flop: the "best" hand doesn't win all that more often than the other hands. This is the reverse of the situation ON the flop, where the "best" hand wins a LOT more often than other hands.

You could therefore change your thinking: before the flop, the "best" hand is simply the favorite to make the best flop. It really is ON the flop that the "best" hand matters.

Another issue is this: if you figure to fold often ON the flop unless you hit your top pair (etc), then you are better off minimizing your action before the flop. This means play more selectively AND play less assertively. If you keep the pre-flop pot small, you won't be as tempted to take a card off on the flop.

- Louie

Bob T.
04-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Yeah, keep doing what you are doing, and tell me, so I can incorporate some of that.