PDA

View Full Version : Rugby

08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
I have never played rugby before, and i want to try out for a club team. The coach said that about 70 percent of the players didnt know how to play when they began, so thats not really a problem. But i wanted to know if there is any training (more cardio or specific exercises, etc.) i should start doing now to get ready, and if i should expect to get my face rearranged or just a black eye. By nature im a big guy, and i lift a lot, but i think that i may have to change some things. thanks in advance

egocide

MrTrik
08-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I played all through college. You can kinda split a rugby team into two groups. The 'big' guys that participate in the scrum and the 'littler' guys that comprise the wing. The 'big' and 'little' tags are relative, but the wingers like the inside, outside, full, etc are the faster running and kicking guys and the scrum guys are usually the taller much larger individuals. Both are equally important in the game.

Anyway ... if you are looking to play outside of the scrum group (I mean on the wing) I'd work on footwork, sprinting, and ball handling. Lot's of kicking as well. Standard punting, dropkicking, and kicking from the ground. Work on the ball on ground techniques -- these take time and the experienced wingers can do amazing stuff in the open field.

For the Scrum types -- footwork and strength. Especially leg streangth and shoulders.

Either way, the more endurance and burst speed you have the more effective you'll be.

Oh, and real game experience is the ONLY way you'll perfect the techniques. So be patient.
Good luck.

MrTrik
08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
I forgot to adress the black eye part of the question.

In rugby everyone on the field gets banged up a great deal. Playing in pain is one of the most valuable abilities any rugger can have. Expect to bump heads, head to knee, deep quad bruises, and occasional blood. I had an issue with sub-dural hematomas on my shins and routinely had to have them drained. The game is so fun it's easy to forget about a cut or bruise here and there during a competition. The real pain comes the next morning after the games are over and your team 'won' the party which usually comprises way over-indulging in beer, gin, or whatever your taste dictates.

The hardest part of the aches and pains is rugby is usually a full weekend event. With games on Saturday, party that night, games on Sunday, and party that night. Sundays are the much more painful days. I'm not sure if your league will do it like we did, but we always played 4 team (or more) weekend tourneys either at our own pitch or on the road a various college towns or just towns with a club.

SoCalRugger
08-28-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm assuming you'll be a forward, since they're the bigger guys. Definitely work on leg strength for the scrum. And work on endurance, since you'll be expected to go a full 80 minutes most of the time, and there are no breaks like football. As a forward you won't be expected to make long sprints down field with the ball (that's left to the backs), but you do need to move around the field to hit the rucks and mauls. You also need to get used to getting hit hard, then getting right back up and running again.

Generally, injuries aren't much worse than cuts and bruises. Sometimes there's concussions, broken noses, or someone messes up a knee or ankle. But as long as you learn the proper technique for tackling and going into a tackle, those don't happen as much as someone new to the game might think at first.

diebitter
08-28-2005, 02:04 AM
There's a saying about this:

Soccer/American Football is for boys
Rugby is for men
(and Ice Hockey is for maniacs)

rusty JEDI
08-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Rugby is for all the fat kids who think its all muscle. You probably know the type. They are the fat pieces of [censored] that become bouncers at dumpy bars.

Its basically all the kids who didnt have any skills to make a real sports team.

rJ

brendons31
08-28-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rugby is for all the fat kids who think its all muscle. You probably know the type. They are the fat pieces of [censored] that become bouncers at dumpy bars.

Its basically all the kids who didnt have any skills to make a real sports team.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, what the [censored], you should make a trip over to new zealand and say that. Rugby players are fine athletes, and it takes a lot of skill to be a good rugby player. Here rugby isn't just a sport, its pretty much a religion.

I see you come from canada, and its well known that canadian rugby is a joke, so maybe what you say is the case over there but not elsewhere.

rusty JEDI
08-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Yes, I can agree with you. I have watched it on TV and it does seem the leading nations are quite good and seem to have the top athletes entering that sport.

However, even at the top levels it still looks like just a bunch of oversized sweaty big guys bumping up against each other.

rJ

SoCalRugger
08-28-2005, 04:41 AM
It's clear you have absolutely no idea what the [censored] you're talking about.

Yeti
08-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

KDawgCometh
08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

would be the automatic assumption. I like league, but union>league

yellowjack
08-28-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.

poker-penguin
08-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Indeed, using my 1337 skillz I have discovered that League is, in fact, Union's gimmick account.

Rugby is a sport of thugs, played by gentlemen (and is a great excuse to fight someone, walk off the field then drink together till 4am).

mslif
08-28-2005, 09:01 PM
All the men on my dad's side of the family are rugby players (my cousin actually got drafted in one the regional French teams and has a shot at making the national team). Anyway, you will get banged up, no question about that. Endurance is key, strong upper body strenght is also needed. Have fun, I am a huge fan and I wish it was more popular in this country.

Perseus
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Rugby from the outside looks like organized kill the carrier.

From the inside it is one of the most strategic games ever invented. Almost all of American football is a rip off of rugby (If anyone is going to dispute this go online and look for yourself before you look like a fool).

I played for four years, and in fact just played a game on saterday. I played for PSU, which is one of the best college teams in the nation (ranked as high as second last year after beating Navy), and many alumni currently play for the US national team. I assure you these guys are not fat slobs...they are the most athletic people I've ever seen.

We also had a bunch of ex-PSU football players come and try out for the rugby team after they run out of football eligability. Some loved it (one is currently on the US Eagles), but many thought it was way too much work. One ex PSU wide reciever said to me, "rugby is way too much running for me"

As far as injuries, you get many more bruises and bumps than football (finger sprains and the such) but much less series injuries, like neck injuries. When you are not wearing pads you learn quickly not to tackle with your head.

All clubs have people who have never played before, so you will not be alone.

Last thing, if you want to know how to train send me a PM and we'll talk. Lifting is great and pure running is great, but you really need to train more like a wrestler/soccer player. Each rugby game is the equivalent of running 4-6 miles, without timeouts or any breaks besides halftime, WHILE you are tackling/being tackled/rucking/mauling/scrumming etc. However, I have found it much more rewarding than any other sport.

Give it a try and decide for yourself

GL,
Jon

flatline
08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
To me, rugby seems like american football if there were no downs. American football started as a variation of rugby, didn't it?

From the people I've known that played the game in college, it seems like the most fun club sport you could play. Everyone I knew that tried it got totally hooked.

08-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I recall one poster saying rugby is for fat kids, and even though i have never played i have to disagree. i met with some of the players on the team, and while they didnt look like calvin kline models or brad pitt, they were certainly fit. It definetly made me realize I will have to lose 15 lbs to be at my best shape, (I weigh 235, i know, i know, its over weight for a kid thats 6') and while running a couple of miles isnt a real problem, doing the equivelent of 4-6 in my current shape would be difficult. So now my goal is less upper body, more cardio and leg stuff.

manpower
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Exactly how big does one need to be in order to play rugby?

As in, I'm 5'10 and 155lbs. Would they let me on the field?

yellowjack
08-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah you could still get in there. All you need is physical and mental toughness. If you are really strong at the moment, you'll definitely get stronger as you play more.

Given your smallish build you should consider trying out as a back. These guys are the ball carriers who do a lot of running with the ball. The forwards are the ones who are required to be tough because they're the ones tackling and trying to ruck other forwards off the ball. Of course, in an ideal team forwards and backs are very big and tough but it's not a huge deal if you're not, especially at a not so competitive level.

KDawgCometh
08-29-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the responses. I recall one poster saying rugby is for fat kids, and even though i have never played i have to disagree. i met with some of the players on the team, and while they didnt look like calvin kline models or brad pitt, they were certainly fit. It definetly made me realize I will have to lose 15 lbs to be at my best shape, (I weigh 235, i know, i know, its over weight for a kid thats 6') and while running a couple of miles isnt a real problem, doing the equivelent of 4-6 in my current shape would be difficult. So now my goal is less upper body, more cardio and leg stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll probably fit in best as a flanker or maybe a hooker/front rower. YOu aren't tall enough to be a 8 or 4 or 5, but the beauty of rugby is that it is a sport for all shapes and sizes, no matter how big or little you are, there will always be a place for you on the pitch. I do hope that you enjoy the sport as it is tons of fun

Yeti
08-29-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Anyway, this argument is older than the hills and I can't really be bothered getting into it. If you'd seen the Challenge Cup final on Saturday it would be near impossible for a neutral to argue Union was better.

brendons31
08-29-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Anyway, this argument is older than the hills and I can't really be bothered getting into it. If you'd seen the Challenge Cup final on Saturday it would be near impossible for a neutral to argue Union was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious are you... For a start you're talking about the chellenge cup which is played for in the UK. Down here UK rugby league is considered a joke and the only real rugby league that exists is the Australian NRL competition (demonsrated by the huge margin Australia beat Great Britian by last time they played). So already by even mentioning the chellenge cup you have lost all credibility.

And if you want to talk about watching games perhaps you should look at a rugby game played just a few days ago between New zealand and South Africa and you tell me any rugby league game that's ever been played which even comes to this game and many other rugby games been played.

In the league vs union debate union is the winner and its not even close.

Yeti
08-29-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not serious are you... For a start you're talking about the chellenge cup which is played for in the UK. Down here UK rugby league is considered a joke and the only real rugby league that exists is the Australian NRL competition (demonsrated by the huge margin Australia beat Great Britian by last time they played). So already by even mentioning the chellenge cup you have lost all credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so confused as to the results of the last two World Club Challenge games.

[ QUOTE ]
And if you want to talk about watching games perhaps you should look at a rugby game played just a few days ago between New zealand and South Africa and you tell me any rugby league game that's ever been played which even comes to this game and many other rugby games been played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I didn't watch this, though I have watched a fair amount of RU in the last few years. Regardless, if you take any State of Origin game from the last 5 years I'd imagine it would walk all over it.

brendons31
08-29-2005, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so confused as to the results of the last two World Club Challenge games.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I didn't watch this, though I have watched a fair amount of RU in the last few years. Regardless, if you take any State of Origin game from the last 5 years I'd imagine it would walk all over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao, the club champion game is treated as a completely meaningless preseason game by teams on this part of the world. The UK superleague is a retirement village for washed up former nrl players who are no longer good enough no make it in the nrl so they head to the UK for a nice pay packet to end their career. There are countless nrl players who were no longer up to playing tough rugby league but become stars again in UK rugby league. The fact that you are trying to say the club championship is justification for UK rugbly league being a reasonable standard further reduces any credibility and shows that you really do have no idea what you're talking about.

I have watched every origin game from the last 12 years or so. And yes there have been some great games played, and this is the pinacle of rugby league. However a great game of league doesn't come close to the quality of a great game of union. The fact that youre talking about origin games from the last 5 years brings your credibility down to 0 because the standard of state of origin has gone down massively in this period as players like lewis, langer, maninga, daley, fitler etc have retired.

Yeti
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
The fact that you keep using the phrase 'brings down your credibility' brings down your credibility.

I threw in the WCC as a cheap jab, I'm aware it means pretty little, and were the Aussies to prepare properly, they'd wipe the floor with us every time.

The 5 years thing was just me comparing a current game with some recent rugby league ones.

You obviously know what you're talking about so basically we'll just have to agree to disagree. My personal taste is for a fast and skillful game; league fits those requirements.

codewarrior
08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
By beginning to play this game, you are about to become a man. For that, I salute you.

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly how big does one need to be in order to play rugby?

As in, I'm 5'10 and 155lbs. Would they let me on the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played mostly flyhalf and sometimes full at 6' 175 or so. Our Scrum half was the smallest guy on the team at about 5'8 150 or so.

I wouldn't let 5'10 and 155 stop you from trying it. In the backfield speed, endurance, and ball handling ability are more important than size. If it turns out you like the game and culture you will probably want to do some extensive training, especially in the off-season which can lead to more muscle and more weight.