PDA

View Full Version : My neck..

Ringo
08-27-2005, 11:49 AM
hurts like hell this morning. Last night whilst sleeping, I turned over too quickly, and got a shooting pain down the left side of my neck. Since waking up, the left side of my neck is incredibly sore, and I'm unable to tilt my head back, or look left or right without excruciating pain.

Does anyone know what this could be, and reassure me that I'm not going to end up paralysed or something. I've never encountered anything like this, and the pain is really bad. The pain is localised on the left side of my neck, no matter how I turn my head. It's like a sharp shooting pain.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what can be done to help/speed up recovery - preferably really soon, since I'm going out tonight, but will be giving it a miss if this pain hasn't subsided.

Thanks in advance!

Ringo

Jimbo
08-27-2005, 11:50 AM
You will die very soon, better sign your will. Good luck in the near future.

BusterStacks
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
stop giving blowjobs.

Jimbo
08-27-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stop giving blowjobs (to yourself).

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

BusterStacks
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not funny, clever or amusing. Stop breathing.

Brad22
08-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a stiff neck - they always really hurt. You could try to put a heating pad on your neck. Go to a doc if it gets worse.

Jimbo
08-27-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More clever than your initial post. Some people just don't handle constructive criticism very well. Were you abused as a child?

BusterStacks
08-27-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More clever than your initial post. Some people just don't handle constructive criticism very well. Were you abused as a child?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if you were I would laugh and completely understand why you are such a [censored] idiot.

bishopstrt
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
this happened to me a couple times in high school, once when I was playing golf. I had an excrutiating pain shoot down my neck and cause my tongue to go completely numb. It didn't last for hours however, but it freaked me out. The doctor said I pinched a nerve. The pain was indescribable really.

Try the heating pad and some motrin or advil.

ChipWrecked
08-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Your neck? My back! Oi vey!

gamblore99
08-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I had something similiar happen a few weeks ago. Started weightlifting again, was fine. The next day i reached for a glass of water beside my bed and my neck was frozen. Doctor said some plates in my neck got locked in place.

Treatment was anti-inflamitories and physiotherapy. Had full motion in about 2-3 days, and after the first day of treatment was greatly improved.
Whatever it is though, see a doctor.

Lazymeatball
08-27-2005, 01:48 PM
http://shopsonymusic.ca/assets/images/672888cvr.jpg

Hal 2000
08-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Sleep in right in front of a large fan last night by any chance? I had a stiff neck one morning after sleeping about a foot in front of one...

08-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I had a period of about 3 weeks back when I was like 23 years old where it hurt like h.ellfire to turn to the left. I had no idea why but it affected my driving (trying to get over to the left lane on HWY and can't look behind me).

Anyway, I noticed that every night when I slept i slept on the left side of my face (head facing to right). It's more comfortable for me. I thought this was maybe the reason, and so...I decided to sleep an entire night with my head facing the other way (even though at first it hurt...) Once I laid down and relaxed my neck it didn't really hurt and luckily, somehow, I slept the entire night with my head facing left on the pillow. Lo and behold, I'm a genius, as I awoke pain-free and the pain never has come back!

Not kidding. Don't know where I got this idea but anyway, it worked, and now I try to sleep both ways at night if I can.

So... pay attention to the way you lay at night, maybe you are in a habit of sleeping with your neck tilted the same way every night??

Hope this helps. If not, go pay like $450 to see a Neurologist and then they'll send you to get an MRI for like $1K.

MrTrik
08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a strained or possibly pulled muscle. Usually with things in the neck and back you can kinda tell if it's musculature or more spinal. Any thoughts on that? If it's muscle related I'd just rest it and probably ice it. If it feels more like bone stuff, I'd get into a doc and have him take a look and maybe an x-ray. Or a reputable chiropractor can make a diagnosis of the issue.

HDPM
08-27-2005, 03:45 PM
I have had similar problems periodically. Last year I had a nasty cramp, spasm in the middle of the night that took my neck and shoulder out. Unbelievable pain. Went to a doctor. Got pain/relaxant drugs for the first few days. Went to physical therapy. Had some improvement. Got tired of it. Went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life. I was pretty cynical about chiropractors. At the initial meeting he wouldn't do any real adjustments. Just a preliminary exam. But he did do one little thing to my neck, just a little traction thing. Light and for a few seconds. It helped more than drugs or physical therapy in an instant. Not medical advice. YMMV. I was cynical about chiropractors. But I know how bad it hurt before and after. Have not had significant pain or stiffness since. Have tapered off, but go maybe once a month if I feel some stiffness or pain somewhere. I started with a regular doctor to make sure it wasn't paralysis/death material. And a good chiro should do some things to make sure too. So again, not medical advice, but it might help.

P.S. It won't go away by tonight

08-27-2005, 03:47 PM
You'll be fine . You just strained some muscles.

Subfallen
08-27-2005, 03:47 PM
This happens to me semi-regularly, and it takes about a week to completely subside.

ghostface
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a period about 3 weeks back

[/ QUOTE ]

About time for another one, eh?

08-27-2005, 03:52 PM
I do this 4-5 times a year and it goes away after a few days. As I get older the length of time to heal is increasing slightly.

polltard

08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a good example of a Butterface? I ask because that is a term I never heard until I was reading a butterface thread on OOT. If it is then i probably understand the concept.

polltard

ChipWrecked
08-27-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a good example of a Butterface? I ask because that is a term I never heard until I was reading a butterface thread on OOT. If it is then i probably understand the concept.

polltard

[/ QUOTE ]

Body would have to be better, IMHO

Joshssj4
08-27-2005, 04:07 PM
It's probably something called "tortacalous(sp)"
I got it when I was younger, when I pulled my neck while getting out of bed. To help speed up the healing process, put a heat pack on your neck for 1-2 days.

Reading over your description I am quite positive you have this. It was identical to mine.

KDawgCometh
08-27-2005, 04:21 PM
there could be a lot of different factors involved in it. chances are you just have a stiff neck. I would recomend that you use a hot pack on it and then use a ice pack on it too. If you still have range of motion problems and a lot of pain in like 5 days, then check out a doctor

08-27-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

polltard

[/ QUOTE ]

Body would have to be better, IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

But the face clearly qualifies. right?

polltard

Blarg
08-27-2005, 06:50 PM
You're not that guy they caught lurking at the bottom of outhouses, are you?

jrbick
08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This happens to me semi-regularly, and it takes about a week to completely subside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell us about your posture. I found out mine sucked entirely and once I started working on it, the neck thing started becoming less frequent. Mine's been effed since a work-related strain 2 years ago. Never been the same since.

pokertonbear1
08-28-2005, 09:01 PM
I had the same experience. I have had pretty intense and consistant neck pain on the left side for a couple of years. I tried everything over-the counter and prescription and finally out of frustration went to the chiropractor. From the first adjustment I felt relief and am feeling better and better with weekly adjustments. Definitely give the chiropractor a try even if you are skeptical and especially if you have insurance. Insurance covers 80% of mine, and to have my neck pain eradicated for only $200 out of pocket is certainly worth it.

lu_hawk
08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
i hurt my neck very badly once during a wrestling match in high school and ever since then i will have this happen to me every once in while for no reason. it sucks worse than most people would think, it really incapacitates me. can't do anything but wait, it will be a few days at least.

Ringo
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Update!

Two days later, and the pain is only 20% of what it was when I posted. Yesterday it was about half of what it originally was, so I'm confident it'll be gone by tomorrow.

Thanks for all the helpful (and funny - I nearly crippled my neck permanently laughing at the blowjob jokes) replies. It definately felt muscular, and as I say, it's fading big time now.

Ringo