PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the Act

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Foxwoods Act II $210 + 15 single table. Last two standing get the buy-in to the Act III super for the WPF main event.

Blinds are 150/300/a50, 3 left.

BB - 3700
SB (Me) - 1700
Button - 4600

BB has impressed me as a solid, thinking player throughout the tournament. From early on, I considered him the biggest threat at the table. Button seemed weak-tight for most of the night, but his aggression picked up noticeable when we got to 4 handed.

I get 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Button makes it 600 to go, I fold, BB calls. (1425)

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB ckeck, button bets 800, BB calls. (3025)

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, Button bets 800, BB calls. (4625)

River: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, Button mulls it over for a while, then pushed all-in. BB thinks for about 30 seconds and calls.

BB shows 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the turned flush.
Button shows 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the rivered full house.
My short-stacked a$$ is grateful for the gift entry into the Act III /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now immediately after the hand the BB begins berating himself for his slowplay. He and I talk a while later and he is still beating himself up over the play. I tell him I don't think he should. I tell him I can't see how he thinks the button is drawing live enough going to the river to scare him, and if BB checks the river, the button will move at the pot with a big range of hands. I'm sure the butrton would've played a set differntly, and no way anybody can see *that* 2 pair on the turn.

Comments? Was the BB right to beat up on himself, or is his self-loathing results-oriented thinking?

bugstud
08-27-2005, 10:40 AM
even w/ the minraise I might just muck PF

Phill S
08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Im raising on the flop as a semi steal. If he comes over the top im prolly done.

Im raising on the turn as a value bet. If he comes over the top all in im judging it on my read of the situation, pot size etc, but im rarely folding this flush unless ive read the other guy as being uber strong.

River i fold my flush with the line taken so far in the hand.

Too many sub sets of betting to get into too much detail about what i do and when, but i like taking control here with a check raise at any point, and i dont want to get too deeply involved since 1st and 2nd pay the same and the short stack has folded out - whilst ill be calling the turn most times, everyone will be like a punch to the gut and a cross of the fingers.

In some ways i actually like the weak tight fold preflop that bugstud suggested, however im sure its for different reasons than went through his head.

Basicly, its key that you dont bust out in this hand, you dont have a particularly big flush, and the paired river and a push from the weak tight top stack worries me quite massively.

Phill

lastchance
08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
I think the call on the turn is a good one. Very few times your opponent has a set, very many times your opponent is just firing bullets.

However, I personally like check-raising this flop. Semibluffing just works way too well.