PDA

View Full Version : SMALL POTS!

Bowler_Man
08-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi everyone. I am a mid-stakes college student who plays mid-stakes to get by while in school. Im always thinking to myself asking why i cant get to the high stakes games to make some real money. It was some time ago i read somewhere that the greats of no limit poker control the pots they are in by keeping them small. Any very succesful players out there? Input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

KaneKungFu123
08-27-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone. I am a mid-stakes college student who plays mid-stakes to get by while in school. Im always thinking to myself asking why i cant get to the high stakes games to make some real money. It was some time ago i read somewhere that the greats of no limit poker control the pots they are in by keeping them small. Any very succesful players out there? Input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you make any money if you keep the pot small?

this mightve been true in past live games where everyone played tight, but online poker is a crap shoot.

DoomSlice
08-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a feeling that learning to keep pots small won't cure what ails you.

Bowler_Man
08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
good advice kane

KaneKungFu123
08-27-2005, 11:00 AM
in some situations you want to keep it small, but that depends on opponent and a bunch of other varibles.

ive heard this statement before too, and it seems way to general.

Leroy Soesman
08-27-2005, 11:26 AM
i'm not sure, but I think you're getting something confused.

The small pot advice is something this is applicable to tournaments more than ringgames, is my experience. Where you want to win/steal many pots without risking your tournament life.

In ringgames there might be times where you want to keep the pot small, but I don't think you should strive to play as many small pots as possible. You can always reload, there is nothing wrong with getting your stack in if you think you have the best of it.

My experience is that good ringgames players are NOT afraid to play/create big pots if they think the situation warrants it.

Bowler_Man
08-27-2005, 11:37 AM
right on. tks

Heimdal
08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Read the archives. Here are two posts

Rocaix (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2966950&page=6&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all&vc=1)

mrwatson23 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2022931&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

Bowler_Man
08-28-2005, 05:56 AM
thanks a lot, that was very useful.

08-28-2005, 08:08 PM
everyone hit that one on the nose...buncha einstiens..keep em small if your losing big

mgsimpleton
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
can you please do us all a favor and stop posting?