PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances...

jackaaron
08-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Just wondering what the chances are that with two people in the hand, and one completes an ace high flush on the river and the other completes a strait flush on the river. Thanks.

magiluke
08-27-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering what the chances are that with two people in the hand, and one completes an ace high flush on the river and the other completes a strait flush on the river. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on what the straight flush draw is. If it's an inside or if the person with the Ace holds one of the outs, it's 1/44.

If there's two ways to make the straight flush, it's 1/22.

Simple =D

jackaaron
08-27-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what I mean is, what are the chances that two people on the same hand get a strait flush, and an ace high flush. I know the odds against have got to be extremely high since the odds against getting a strait flush are extremely high, let alone that someone getting a strait flush would then also have someone in the hand with them that had the ace high flush.

It really depends on what the straight flush draw is. If it's an inside or if the person with the Ace holds one of the outs, it's 1/44.

If there's two ways to make the straight flush, it's 1/22.

Simple =D

[/ QUOTE ]

AaronBrown
08-27-2005, 11:36 PM
One way this could happen is to have a royal flush on the board. Then everyone in the hand has a straight flush and an Ace high flush.

But I assume you mean three suited cards on the board, one player having two cards to complete a straight flush and the other having two suited cards including the Ace, but not a straight flush. Is that it?

There are 40 straight flushes, which could be paired with 39*38/2 unsuited cards to make the straight flush hand. However, we have to eliminate the eight straight flushes with Aces in them, so it's 32*39*38/2 = 23,712 out of the 133,784,560 possible seven card hands.

But we're not done. Both of the unsuited cards have to be on the board, that happens only 10 times out of 21. After that, the other player must be dealt the suited Ace, and one of the other seven remaining suited cards. That's 2*(1/45)*(7/44) = 14/1,980.

Multiply it all together and you get 0.000060% or 1 chance in 1,675,692. You can multiply by about 45 for the chance of it happening at a table of 10 players, that's 0.002685% or 1 chance in 37,238. While the guy with the suited Ace is more likely than not to stay in until showdown, the straight flush guy might fold preflop, or even post flop if the flop has only one suited card. My guess is a guy who plays a lot of Poker might see one of these hands a year.

jackaaron
08-29-2005, 08:53 AM
tyvm for that stat. I was the Ace high flush guy beating myself up about it. I play live about once a week, and I thought to myself on the way home that I might not see that situation again for ten years. I've played many more hands online, and never encountered that situation...lol.