PDA

View Full Version : Take this job and shove it

08-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Do you feel it is possible to earn a modest living playing 2/4, 3/6? If so, what would that work schedule look like? Does anyone know how that would work out mathematically (bb/hour etc.)?
Thanks to all you beautiful souls.

uw_madtown
08-27-2005, 08:43 AM
To quickly respond...

Yes, it is possible. However, it would require a solid winrate (2 BB/100 or more) or a painfully large number of hands to earn a decent living. It also would rely on rakeback and a continuing abundance of fishy tables, two things which are less than reliable if you're talking about doing this more than a couple years. You also need to factor in health insurance and retirement plans. All in all, if you require a very modest income and are a solid player you might be able to do it, but even then you have to worry about the poker market. I'm not saying the games and rakeback will dry up tomorrow, but no one can say with certainty how long those things will last.

To sum up: yes, but it's pretty hard to do.

08-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Would you kindly elaborate on a rakeback and how one would go about securing one?

uw_madtown
08-27-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you kindly elaborate on a rakeback and how one would go about securing one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rakeback is a deal where you recieve a certain % of your MGR (Monthly Generated Rake) back by signing up with an affiliate when you create your account. Standard for Party skins is 25-30%. You can find out more by checking the Internet forum and the 2+2 classifieds.

brazilio
08-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I think you mean 157%

uw_madtown
08-27-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you mean 157%

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't let that deal get out in the open.

Joe Taylor
08-27-2005, 12:38 PM
It's possible, as I'm one of those people doing it.

uw_madtown pretty much laid out the particulars, although I admit that a good chunk of my monthly income also comes from chasing bonuses at multiple sites, as that provides a steady "base" that my winnings add onto.

Not to sound like a jerk, but keep in mind that if you are asking whether it's possible, then you may not be at a level where you can make that happen. I actually worked a full-time (50+ hr/week) job while I played as a "pro" another 40+ hours/week to make sure I could make the income numbers, staying up late and a ton of play on the weekends. Only once I was able to prove to myself that I could maintain a consistent winrate, month after month, did I make the leap.

I generally play between 4 and 6 hours per day, 7 days/week, although I work in days off here and there. I spend additional "downtime" each day (2-3 hours) reading books, forums like this one, and reviewing my hand histories. I am probably putting more hours in now that I was when I was working a "real" job, but to be successful you do have to work at it.

There are quite a few articles on this here - you might want to check the 2+2 Magazine archives and forum for some articles that Ed Miller and Alan Schoonmaker have put up on this topic.

chief444
08-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes. It's possible. But you have to be a good player. You have to put a normal workweek in in terms of hours. You have to be able to multitable...like 6-8 tables. And if you play full time you should get a 30% rakeback deal.

uw_madtown
08-27-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to be able to multitable...like 6-8 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

True for 2/4 or 3/6 full, but higher limits full or at 6m, you can get away just 4 tabling if you put in a solid amount of hours with a solid winrate.

chief444
08-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I was assuming full. But actually, for a "modest" living...some people could play 4 tables of full as well.

But really, to the OP, if you have to ask the question...then the answer for you is more than likely no.

JaysonWeberFCP
08-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Also the 3/6 tables are tough lately... I was going to do a 100k hands in 2 months (or die trying) for a seperate forum I belong to and nearly puked when the "best" table I could find was a 21%.

Was this just a week anomoly or have the 3/6 tables gotten tougher than most 10/20's? On... Party Ofcourse.

mack848
08-27-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also the 3/6 tables are tough lately... I was going to do a 100k hands in 2 months (or die trying) for a seperate forum I belong to and nearly puked when the "best" table I could find was a 21%.

Was this just a week anomoly or have the 3/6 tables gotten tougher than most 10/20's? On... Party Ofcourse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't assume that tight necessarily means tough.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-27-2005, 03:50 PM
there was this dude who used to post in small stakes all the time that played 3/6 for a living. he was a pretty good player and was able to live modestly off of it (he never had the grand desire of playing higher). but he didn't like poker enough to really attempt to get rich off of it and ended up taking a job with an online search engine.

SippinSoma
08-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Nh.

uw_madtown
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there was this dude who used to post in small stakes all the time that played 3/6 for a living. he was a pretty good player and was able to live modestly off of it (he never had the grand desire of playing higher). but he didn't like poker enough to really attempt to get rich off of it and ended up taking a job with an online search engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.f2f2s.com/images/bisonsignal.jpg

toss
08-27-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.f2f2s.com/images/bisonsignal.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy has a big nose.

Mister Z
08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
What are we defining as a "modest living"? $500 per week? 1K per week?

Deathbear
08-27-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are we defining as a "modest living"? $500 per week? 1K per week?

[/ QUOTE ]

One million BB!

http://www.fancyrobot.com/images/dr_evil_1.jpg