PDA

View Full Version : W.I.R.E.D article on WinHoldEm

jnh24
08-27-2005, 05:12 AM
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.09/pokerbots.html?pg=2&topic=pokerbots&topic_set=

RedManPlus
08-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Wired gets taken for a ride...
Just about everybody's bullsh*ting in this piece.

Bornert leave out the CRUCIAL FACT that his software enables collusion among users...
And that it's a TOTAL SCAM because 100% detectable.
Par for the course for a $350,000 tax felon:
Ray's Big Time Tax Problems (http://www.pokerfied.com/poker/The_truth_about_WinHoldem_Software_901146.html)

Party never stops lying about anything...
Basically saying Bots are a joke...
And they have "100 employees" scanning.
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...
The NYSE doesn't even have 100 people in Market Surveillance Division.

Moneymaker says he "engages people in chat"...
Oh sure... Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
99% of serious players just turn off chat...
To stop idiot comment spam.
(On Party...
People who are not even playing...
Can actually bring up your table and heckle you).

And all the academics...
Get to spin their wildest fantasies.

Then there's "bits of the underlying UA code have escaped into the wild"...
As if this code is somehow the Rosetta Stone for Bot Strategy..
And it's really just a rumor...
And Darse couldn't even win the WSOP $100,000 Bot Championship...
So... so what?

Very interesting article...
But on the level of tabloid jounalism...
And makes you think...
Can you now believe anything printed in Wired?

rm+

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

08-27-2005, 11:40 AM
The article is a load of rubbish. But I do always love the drama that Wired puts in.

I looked at WinHoldEm a couple of weeks ago from a purely skepticle point of view. After browsing the forums for a while I found that NO ONE was making a profit, atleast no more than a couple of cents, and if they were, then this fact certainly wasn't being shared around.

The thing about being able to catch WinHoldEm uses is rubbish. They have a very simple but effective program set up, 'WinPP' which basically uses a second computer to view the screen of the first computer (which is running the bot). I cannot see how this could be detected.

Overrall, we're none the wiser about the extent to which bots are profitably playing online poker!

Besides, there's a very simple question that must be asked. If these bots are so good, why are they being sold?

WinHoldEm sounds like just the Input and Output of the bot, with no processing between. That's left up to the poor users who spend money on this bot, and then have to work on the intelligence themselves. These people were intelligent enough to buy an online poker bot, so I don't think they're intelligent enough to make a profitable one /images/graemlins/smile.gif