PDA

View Full Version : Absolute right and wrong?

m1illion
08-27-2005, 03:32 AM
True story - within the last year.

A man and his buddy start drinking in the afternooon. As night falls the man says to his buddy,"Let's kill somebody."
The men get in the buddy's vehicle and soon thereafter roll up on a man driving home from work. They shoot him dead. The man had a gun in his car but never had the chance to reach it.

Without any religious values, there are those who say this cannot be an immoral act. I disagree.

einbert
08-27-2005, 03:45 AM
If you are implying that there are people without religious values then I believe you are quite mistaken.

[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: 1re·li·gious
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French religieus, from Latin religiosus, from religio
1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: 1val·ue
Pronunciation: 'val-(")yü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin valuta, from feminine of valutus, past participle of Latin valEre to be worth, be strong -- more at WIELD
3 : relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price> <the value of base stealing in baseball> <had nothing of value to say>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never met someone who didn't have a set of beliefs about the world (his religion) and I've never met anyone who hasn't compared something based on those beliefs (thus his religious values).

xniNja
08-27-2005, 03:49 AM
By the above definitions, anything is a religious value, so that's fine for the argument too. However the point of the argument is essentially correct in my opinion, that morality does not depend on a particular religion or religions, and therefore not "religion" or "religious values" necessarily.

m1illion
08-27-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are implying that there are people without religious values then I believe you are quite mistaken.

[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: 1re·li·gious
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French religieus, from Latin religiosus, from religio
1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: 1val·ue
Pronunciation: 'val-(")yü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin valuta, from feminine of valutus, past participle of Latin valEre to be worth, be strong -- more at WIELD
3 : relative worth, utility, or importance <a good value at the price> <the value of base stealing in baseball> <had nothing of value to say>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never met someone who didn't have a set of beliefs about the world (his religion) and I've never met anyone who hasn't compared something based on those beliefs (thus his religious values).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you bothered to reply. Next.

einbert
08-27-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By the above definitions, anything is a religious value,

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, any belief someone has about the world is a religious value as far as I'm concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
However the point of the argument is essentially correct in my opinion, that morality does not depend on a particular religion or religions, and therefore not "religion" or "religious values" necessarily.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you. The morality of something does not depend on people's beliefs. I still don't know how to prove it or if it can even be proven (it seems likely that it cannot be), but I do believe that it is true.

txag007
08-27-2005, 07:52 PM
"I agree with you. The morality of something does not depend on people's beliefs. I still don't know how to prove it or if it can even be proven (it seems likely that it cannot be), but I do believe that it is true."

Exactly.