PDA

View Full Version : He Deserves Paradise Who Makes His Companions Laugh

Tall Kitchen
08-27-2005, 02:47 AM
- The Koran

Paradise Poker 1 on 1; 3/6.

I'd like some feedback on my analysis of play against aggressive players, and implementation of an appropriate counter-strategy.

My profile:

To begin with, I like my opponents loose. Against a loose opponent, I play top 40% (any pair, any ace, and two cards nine or higher, any straight-flush combination with no gap or one gap, and any king little suited) out of SB and BB, defending vigorously out of each as necessary, frequently calling on the button, and frequently checking into the flop. On the flop, I bet anything that has a chance about (60%) (any pair, a straight draw or holding two overcards), while pretending the top card isn't there. After that, nothing special unless my opponent seems special. This is what happens when I run into an aggressive player:

Villain's profile:

Typically, he adjusts from a strategy similar to what I just described, and starts playing quite a few cards out of SB, raising with almost everything he decides to play with, which looks like between 1/2 and 3/4 of the of cards dealt to him. He's highly defensive - can't really fold him. From BB, he seems to play a little more than his top 40%, again he's highly defensive, and occasionally raises or reraises. He folds to a lot of bets on the flop, and when he does call or bet, he doesn't go too far. Usually willing to check to the showdown. When he shows any interest on the turn, he's frequently got a legitimate hand.

Speaking from experience, Villain will quickly bust me if I continue to play him as if he were very loose. Therefore, I need to implement an appropriate counter-strategy.

I surmise that Villain's strategy is successful because:
1) I fold enough in BB for him to make an automatic or near-automatic profit.
2) While I take down a lot of pots on the flop, I don't take down enough to sufficiently compensate for my pre-flop folds.
3) My bets on the turn with mediocre hands against a possible straight on the board, which are OK against loose opponents, often get shown straights. These extra bets seem particularly costly, considering the advantage he already has. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The counter-strategy:

1) If he's being selective from SB, but still playing quite a few cards, and raising with almost everything he plays with, and
2) He's being selective from BB and defending vigorously, and
3) Seems timid on the flop, and
4) Seems to show down with legitimate hands,

then

1) Add J8 and medium connectors including one-gaps to my BB play to reduce my folds, and raise more frequently, and
2) Add suited cards and medium connectors up to one-gap to SB play, and raise with almost all of them, and
3) Don't bet into his possible straights on the turn with a mediocre hand.

As much as I'd appreciate a full essay from everyone who views this post, I know that isn't realistic. So in an effort to generate maximum participation, and to alert me to having deceived myself during analysis, i've prepared the following poll.

BabIsASlut
08-27-2005, 03:57 AM
gambooooooool