PDA

View Full Version : Heads up pocket 66, call the all in, right move?

08-27-2005, 01:36 AM
I was the small blind and I am heads up I have 4800 chips, my opponent has 4200 chips. He is a solid, aggressive player. Will go all in with face face, A high, or a pocket pair. The blinds are 100 and 200.

I have 66 in the SB. I raise to 500. He goes all in. Do I call or fold here?

08-27-2005, 01:56 AM
bump

Chaostracize
08-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Fold.

08-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Yes, Fold. I would wait for a stronger hand here. Never be in a rush

08-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Very easy fold for me. You're either a coin flip or a major dog. The beauty of small to medium pocket pairs heads up is only when you are first in.

08-27-2005, 02:30 AM
thanks for the replies guys, makes sense. I play mostly limit so I wasnt sure what to do in this situation.

thesharpie
08-27-2005, 08:44 AM
This is the first time I've tried calculating something like this so bear with me, forgive and correct any errors please.

We need ~39% equity to breakeven and I'm pretty sure we have more than that against his range. Here is a quick pokerstove run against a conservative range, I think his range is wider given the description:

1,797,919,200 games 2.553 secs 704,237,837 games/sec
equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 45.1217 % [ 00.45 00.01 ] { 66 }
Hand 2: 54.8783 % [ 00.54 00.01 ] { AA-55, AKs-A7s, KQs-KJs, AKo-A9o, KQo-KJo }

I think we're losing ~T282 (4700*.06) if he has this range. If we think we're better and can make up more than this then I guess we should fold, but with the stacks at 22BB and going up to 15BB shortly one would think more luck is involved, so should we really pass up on this edge here?

Once again someone correct any errors please.

Edit: Against a more liberal range (any pair, KJo+, KTs+, A5s+, A7o+) we have almost over a 10% equity edge more than we need, losing around 2 1/2 BB by folding (T493). Excuse rounding offs and inaccuracy.

08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
thesharpie, I think this fails to take the real dynamics of heads up into account. My thinking is that we have a large amount of chips if we fold, which is plenty to work with heads up. It's just not worth putting first place at risk on what is almost certainly a coin flip, and could be a 4 to 1 dog. I guess if you are not at all confident in your heads up lay it could be worth flipping a coin, but I am self-delusional enough that I'd rather fold here and keep getting into the pot first and feeling out my opponent for a place to make a move (or find AA /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

johnnybeef
08-27-2005, 09:43 AM
If he's really that tight, hes playing terribly, and you need to fold. You should be able to abuse him.

applejuicekid
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I think this is a call given the hand range you gave. I would call here anyway, Also, he said his opponent was solid and I don't think his pushing range there is that tight with the blinds only at 100/200.

lastchance
08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I think the people who say fold are wrong.

You need to take any edge you can get HU, and if your opponent is sane at all, they're definitely going to shove a lot wider than the Sharpie says.

It's all about what you put him on, and when he's got a range like that, I think you have to call this hand, which should be a favorite, and is also getting odds.

Sykes
08-27-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the people who say fold are wrong.

You need to take any edge you can get HU, and if your opponent is sane at all, they're definitely going to shove a lot wider than the Sharpie says.

It's all about what you put him on, and when he's got a range like that, I think you have to call this hand, which should be a favorite, and is also getting odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but any reasonable thinking opponet is not pushing with a large wide of hands with 20BB. I would put his range at 88+/AJs+.

There should be no reason the opponet will be pushing with KT+/22+/A8s+.

lastchance
08-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Meet Karlson-Sklansky (http://www.decf.berkeley.edu/~chubukov/rankings.html)

The numbers on the right are for how profitable pushes are. If you have SB's less than the really long number at the right, pushing is better than folding even if you turned your cards face up against a computer.

Tater10
08-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I guess i agree with sharpie.

The OP states this as a pure math problem.

66 vs AA-22, AK-AJ, KQ-KJ, QJ.
I get this as 47.4% vs 52.6%. I will assume payouts of $45/$27/$18.

EV folding would be $35.20
EV calling is .474 * 45 + .526 * 27 = $35.53 (i'll assume you lose if you lose this hand...)

Assuming your asumptions are correct (that sounds stupid), you would make 33 cents by calling. Very close. When I find myself playing tough, agressive opponents in these situations, I call. I'd rather spend my time on a new tournament playing donks than try to eek out another 50 cents worth of EV. If it was passive player instead, I fold.

The key is the assumptions which I wouldnt agree with. Would he push AA/KK here? Is he really pushing KJo? I'd belive the OP's range for the villain if the blings were 250/500+. But at 100/200, I cant think of many hands that i'd push - they are either too good or too bad.

08-27-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The numbers on the right are for how profitable pushes are. If you have SB's less than the really long number at the right, pushing is better than folding even if you turned your cards face up against a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't for the life of me figure out how to read that chart. Any help?

Burno
08-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Nice post tater. But you omitted a AT-A2 from the villain's range, and this was in the range given by the OP. If you include those hands, 66's equity noticeably increases since it dominates ace babies.

I instacall here against an aggressive opponent with the given hand range. My opponent must be ridiculously tight for me to consider folding. 55 I'd have to think but I'd call b/c, well you know. 22-44 I fold unless he's done this 10X in a row.

lastchance
08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Read and learn (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=382772&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1).

Yeah, I explained it terribly, but this should help you.

Useful stuff. Not as useful as ICM, but definitely worthwhile.

Tater10
08-27-2005, 12:11 PM
doh! forgot the AT-A2, not to mention forgetting you would have 500+ chips if you lost.

that would change the #'s to 54% vs 46% in the OP's favor. I'd call then, unless the villian was extremely weak.

My main point was that at 100/200, with 4500 stacks, I dont think the average 'agressive' player is pushing QJo junk to a raise.

08-27-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Read and learn (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=382772&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1).

Yeah, I explained it terribly, but this should help you.

Useful stuff. Not as useful as ICM, but definitely worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link seems to be broken, can you double-check it?

Bill Poker
08-27-2005, 10:59 PM
what if the blind is 200/400, 250/500 or above?