PDA

View Full Version : 64 Philadelphia Phillies

adios
08-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Andy Fox wrote about the Yankees "sneaking" into the playoffs. A caveat, I've never had the pleasure of meeting Andy. Hope to someday and I enjoy reading his posts a great deal. With that said for those who think any team's a lock at this point I'd like to post a little blurb on the 64 Phillies. Back in 64 there were no divisional series as the respecvtive pennant winners from each league met in the World Series. The Phillies were up by 6.5 games with 12 games to play and didn't win the pennant. Oh yeah the Cardinals went on to win the World Series that year beating the Yankees. Here's a link chronicaling the Phillies collapse:

64 Phillies Collapse (http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?story=20050808233849943)

Lotsa baseball left, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yankees actually won their division and went on to win the World Series. Could even see something crazy like the Red Sox and the Angel missing the playoffs. It's a very close race down the stretch.

On Sunday September 20, 1964, the Phillies beat the Dodgers 3-2 behind their ace Jim Bunning, who improved his record to 18-5. The Phils had lost an agonizing extra-inning affair the night before when Willie Davis stole home in the 16th inning. But now, with 12 games remaining, the 90-60 Phillies had a 6.5 game lead on Cincinnati and St.Louis, with the Giants 7 games back.

On Monday the 21st, the Phils 1-0 to the Reds when Chico Ruiz stole home in the sixth inning. Art Mahaffey (12-9) was the hard-luck loser. They lost to the Reds again the next day, as Chris Short got roughed up and fell to 17-8 on the year. The Reds completed the sweep the next day. Dennis Bennett (12-13) took a 3-2 lead into the seventh but gave up a couple of hits to open the inning. Several hitters later, Vada Pinson hit a three-run homer off reliever Ed Roebuck, and the Reds were suddenly just 3.5 games back, with nine still to play. The Cardinals and Giants were both five games back.

On Thursday, Milwaukee came to town and beat Jim Bunning (18-6). On Friday, Mauch brough Chris Short back on just two days rest. Short pitched well, but the Phillies were trailing 3-1 until John Callison, who seemed at this point to be a shoo-in for the NL MVP award, tied it up with a two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth. The Braves scored two in the top of the tenth, but Richie Allen, having one of the greatest rookie seasons in history, tied things with a two-out two-run inside the park homer. But the Braves plated two in the 12th to hand the Phils their fifth straight loss. Cincinnati was just 1.5 games back.

The Braves made it 6 Philly losses in a row on Saturday the 26th. Art Mahaffey left after 7 with a 4-2 lead, but relief ace Jack Baldschun and the aging LH Bobby Shantz coughed it up, the big blow coming on a two run triple by Braves rookie Rico Carty.

And now the Reds were .5 game back, the Cardinals were 1.5 games back, and Mauch put the pedal to the floor. On Sunday, Jim Bunning started on two days rest for the first time all year. He was shelled for 7 runs in 3 IP, falling to 18-7; the Phils lost 14-8, despite Callison's three home runs. In New York, the Reds swept a double-header from the Mets and the Phils had suddenly fallen out of first place.

On Monday, the Phils went to St.Louis, and Mauch brought Chris Short back on two days rest for the second time in a row. Short wasn't bad, but Bob Gibson held the Phils to 5 hits. Johnny Callison drove in the Phils only run, but he went 0-4 and was beginning to come down with the flu. The Phillies were now in third place, 1.5 games out of the lead, trailing both Cincinnati and St.Louis.

On Tuesday, the Cards beat Dennis Bennett 4-2 to move into a tie for first with Cincinnati. Having lost nine in a row, the Phils were 1.5 back. John Callison was out of the lineup for the first time all year. But still, shaking with the flu on a cold fall day, Callison would single as a pinch-hitter later in the game. In clear violation of the rules, he was allowed to wear a pitcher's warm-up jacket as he ran the bases, although he was shaking so violently that St.Louis first baseman Bill White would have to fasten it for him. Imagine that...

On Wednesday, the Phils completed the collapse. Bunning started on two days rest again and got hammered as the Cardinals jumped to an 8-0 lead, and coasted to an 8-5 victory. Tim McCarver started the carnage with a two-run homer in the second. The best the Phillies could do now was tie, and they needed the Cardinals to lose all three of their remaining games.

But they stayed alive a little longer. There were no games on Thursday. On Friday, the Cardinals lost 1-0 as the Mets Al Jackson outduelled Bob Gibson. Meanwhile, the Phillies won for the first time in 11 days. Because of the off-day, Chris Short had three days rest. Trailing 3-0, the Phillies rallied for 4 runs in the eighth inning, keyed by Allen's two-run triple, and lived to fight another day.

They survived Saturday as well - the Phils were idle, but the Mets pummelled the Cardinals 15-5. St. Louis and Cincinnati were now in a dead heat atop the league, and the Phillies were one game back. There was one day remaining, and Mauch gave the ball to Jim Bunning on three days rest. Bunning came through with a six-hit shutout, but the Cardinals finally disposed of the Mets and the pennant was theirs. Callison finished second in the MVP voting, which went to Ken Boyer of the Cardinals.

The most surprised man in America was surely St.Louis owner Gussie Busch, who had fallen under the spell of the by-now-ancient Branch Rickey. Busch had fired his GM, Bing Devine, a few months earlier, not long after Devine had traded for Lou Brock. Busch was on the verge of firing manager Johnny Keane, when he suddenly found himself going to the World Series. Keane would manage the Cards to victory over the Yankees and then walk away from the job, going to New York just in time to preside over the Yankees collapse.

Gene Mauch was 38 years old in 1964, and would manage for another 23 years. The Phillies collapse would always be with him. Mauch never again had as good a team, despite his AL West winners in Anaheim.

andyfox
08-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Your posts are among my favorites, especially on the politics forum, though we often are on opposite sides of the discussion.

I remember the 1964 season quite well, or at least as well as can be expected. The American League race was equally exciting, the Yankees beating the White Sox by one game and the Orioles by 2. It was Yogi Berra's first year as Yankees manager, Ralph Houk, who had managed the team for three years after Casey Stengel was fired, moving up to the general manager's job after winning three pennants and two World Championships in his three years as manager.

Houk decided that Berra was the problem when the Yankees appeared to be dead, and had decided to let Berra go before the end of the season. The Yankees surprised him by winning the pennant. Keane already had an agreement to manage the Yankees the next year, so Keane was managing in the World Series against the team he knew he woud manage the next year.

Eleven years old, I had predicted the Phillies would win the pennant that year, much to the ridicule of my dad and uncles. Rookie Richie Allen was some kind of player. In the AL, rookie Tony Oliva led the league in hitting. Oliva won three batting titles in all, but injuries slowed down what surely would otherwise have been a Hall of Fame career. Dick Allen had quite a career too, although he was regarded as "difficult." Two greater rookies in one year would be hard to find.

Keane's Yankees collapsed in 1965, finishing 6th and when they started 4-16 in 1966, he was fired. Houk came back and the Yankees were a poor team for quite some time, not getting back to the World Series until 1976.

Having seen the Yankees lose to the Diamondback in the 9th inning with Rivera on the mound with a run one lead, and lose to the Red Sox last year in seemingly impossible fashion, I surely know there's no such thing as a lock. To quote my favorite philosopher, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Phat Mack
08-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I remember the Phillies collapse, but always think of it as a prelude to the Cubs collapse of 1969.

The Cubbies' 1969 collapse seems more significant soley because of the dramatics involved: the Cubs were the Cubs; the Cubs had Leo the Lip managing them; and the Cubbies' collapse opened the door for my beloved Miracle Mets.

Sluss
08-27-2005, 07:58 AM
John Kruk was talking about the Vet closing in 2003. During the ceremony at the last game Gene Mauch was standing in front of Kruk in the tunnel as they were waiting to be announced. Right before they introduced Mauch he turns to Kruk and says, "Wait until you here this Johnny." Mauch gets announced and as he comes out of the tunnel you here a boo so loud you would think it was for Scott Rolen and JD Drew. Forty-one years after they still remember in Philly.

andyfox
08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Yes, but it wasn't a stretch run collapse. And the Mets won 100 games that year, they were a very good team.

andyfox
08-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Maybe in was Mauch's 1961 team they were remembering, a team that went 47-107. Sixty games under .500 in a 154 game schedule.

Of course the 1962 Mets were eighty games under .500.

Phat Mack
08-28-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but it wasn't a stretch run collapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember it differently, with the Cubs starting September with an eight game losing streak. The Mets did deserve credit for ending the season on a rush, however.

andyfox
08-28-2005, 11:09 AM
You might be right, I thought it was right after the all-star break. There have been other similar seasons: the Red Sox/Yankees 1978; the season the Mariners came from way back to beat the Angels, don't remember the year. The Mets/Cubs stands out because of the reasons you mention: Leo Durocher managing the Cubs and the Mets having finished 9th(?) the year before and last just about every season, suddenly winning 100 games, losing the first game to the seemingly invincible Orioles in the World Series, and then winning four straight, with so many incredible fielding plays.

Phat Mack
08-29-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
with so many incredible fielding plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

= Tommy Agee

andyfox
08-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Ron Swoboda.