PDA

View Full Version : My friends bad beat story.

Bob T.
04-10-2003, 04:13 AM
My friend has AA in the Big blind, one limper, my friend raises.

Limper calls.

Flop AK3, suits don't matter. My friend bets, Limper calls.

turn, 7, same action.

River 9, same action. My friend turns over his hand, and his opponent turns over, KK.

RockLobster
04-10-2003, 09:39 AM

bernie
04-10-2003, 10:34 AM
where's the bad beat?

b

Inthacup
04-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Well, I wouldn't call it a bad beat, but I see what you're saying. If I was KK here, I see myself losing at least 5 more BB. That's a considerable loss for AA. I can't believe KK didn't raise once with the second nuts.

Homer
04-10-2003, 11:06 AM
The "bad beat" is the limper playing the second nuts like a total wuss. Friend should have won at least 4-5 more BB's in this hand. It's not really a "bad beat" per se, but it probably hurts just as much.

-- Homer

RockLobster
04-10-2003, 11:15 AM
I saw the "unrelenting passivity" (does this even make sense? who cares, it sounds cool), but couldn't figure out the bad beat (I'm a little thick sometimes).

I wasn't aware that this flavor of bad beat was available, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Bob T.
04-10-2003, 12:06 PM
unrelenting passivity

I like it.

Yeah, my friend figured he missed out on a minimum of 2 and 1/2 Big bets on the hand, and most likely at least 4 1/2 big bets. I just thought it was funny when he told me the story, both because of the 'unrelenting passivity', and because he told it to me with all the passion of a usual bad beat story. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

RockLobster
04-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Follow-up question:

gonores
04-10-2003, 12:46 PM
If your friend is a prototypical tight raiser from the big blind, perhaps the play from the other player isn't terrible. If your friend is to type to only raise with KK or AA or maybe AK from the big blind, perhaps the other player smelled that something was up. There is certainly evidence to support this since he did not reraise pre-flop. That being said, I'm throwing raises in there with KK, even if the BB hadn't voluntarily put money in the pot for 6 straight hours and danced around the table after his second hole card came.

Bob T.
04-10-2003, 01:56 PM
My friend is a recreational player, he is clearly loose, and moderately aggressive. If I was the opponent, he would have captured at least 6 big bets from me on the turn and river.

Additionally, I wouldn't open limp with KK. And might 4 bet preflop, Ok, if we go five bets preflop, I think that I might only lose 4 big bets after the flop.