PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you get the wind knocked out of you?

Godfather80
08-26-2005, 09:31 PM
This is one of the most frightening experiences you can have when you don't know what is going on. Or, maybe I'm just a puss. Does anybody know what happens anatomically?

yellowjack
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
The first time is only scary if you don't know what's going on and are panicking about not being able to breathe.

Godfather80
08-26-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The first time is only scary if you don't know what's going on and are panicking about not being able to breathe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But, what is actually happening inside your body? Anybody?

rusellmj
08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
It's usually accompanied by lots of pain. You can exhale but not inhale. Eventually you're able to force the air in.

Godfather80
08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Sorry to bother people, I found the answer (taken from "ask Yahoo"):

According to one doctor as well as the ever-useful Straight Dope column, it's all about your diaphragm. This dome-shaped muscle sits below your lungs, and it helps your windbags inhale and exhale. When you get hit in the abdomen, this can cause a pressure difference that makes your diaphragm spasm for a few seconds. You can't catch your breath until the spasm stops.

poker-penguin
08-26-2005, 11:20 PM
When I get the wind knocked out of me, I tend to fall over (or remain on the ground) roll on my side and start coughing.

It happens every few weeks - perils of playing contact sport.

DMBFan23
08-26-2005, 11:51 PM
that sucks ass.

this happens to me playing ultimate every now and then. laying down and bringing your knees up helps, but I dont know if thats psychosomatic or not