PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson on how not to play a set

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Sometimes you can learn a lot from your opponents mistakes, I think that this is one of those situations. I have X'd out my hole cards to encourage discussion as to what my holding was, as imo, this is the most pivotal part of my opponents mistake.

Seat 1: pkrfang ( $975 )
Seat 2: Spoff_ ( $1110 )
Seat 3: VaTech14 ( $975 )
Seat 4: sheriffvegas ( $1040 )
Seat 5: SWISS35 ( $1020 )
Seat 6: tanhvu ( $925 )
Seat 7: BigKev00 ( $1000 )
Seat 8: igofly ( $1000 )
Seat 9: PYSCHOSPADE ( $990 )
Seat 10: uavXvau ( $965 )
Trny:15189407 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to igofly [ XXX ]
tanhvu calls [15].
BigKev00 folds.
igofly raises [65].
PYSCHOSPADE folds.
uavXvau folds.
pkrfang folds.
Spoff_ folds.
VaTech14 folds.
sheriffvegas folds.
SWISS35 calls [50].
tanhvu calls [50].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, 7d, 2s ]
SWISS35 checks.
tanhvu checks.
igofly bets [125].
SWISS35 folds.
>You have options at Table 10894 Table!.
tanhvu calls [125].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kc ]
tanhvu checks.
igofly bets [325].
tanhvu calls [325].
** Dealing River ** [ Qs ]
tanhvu checks.
igofly checks.
tanhvu shows [ 7h, 7c ] a full house, Sevens full of queens.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX

Pasterbator
08-26-2005, 09:37 PM
The way you played it, it looks like you had AA. Had he checkraised all in on the flop/turn, i think you have to call it. Now that the Q pairs on the river, you have to be afraid he is holding Qx and check behind.

It looks like your opponent never put you on a hand, but decided he was going to check every street and let you pay him off that way.

I have to be right. Right?

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
no, i didnt have aa. no, he never put me on a hand. no you are not 100% right, buyt you are close.

Beefcake

psyduck
08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
AK is the only hand that would make sense

TT, JJ, KK, QQ, AQ all make no sense given the betting line

CatfishKing
08-26-2005, 09:55 PM
AK?

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was indeed AK, I think AQ would make a lot of sense too. The point in me posting this thread is to teach some people about basic hand reading. Preflop, I am a pretty tight player so I will not be raising a bunch of hands. On the flop, I could have hit a hand, or it could have been a continuation bet. On the turn I bet again. When someone acts aggressively on the first three streets early in a sng, they usually have a hand, especially when there is a king and a queen on the board. I hate how he played the turn as he could have had all of my chips had he pushed. On the river, it is not too bad considering that AQ is a logical holding, and I would have pushed that. Regardless, slowplaying a set turned boat on all three streets against a good player who is betting behind you is just bad.

Beefcake

skipperbob
08-26-2005, 09:59 PM
The moeran had 2-2

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The moeran had 2-2

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon....I learned how to play these from your son, not you.

skipperbob
08-26-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was indeed AK, I think AQ would make a lot of sense too. The point in me posting this thread is to teach some people about basic hand reading. Preflop, I am a pretty tight player so I will not be raising a bunch of hands. On the flop, I could have hit a hand, or it could have been a continuation bet. On the turn I bet again. When someone acts aggressively on the first three streets early in a sng, they usually have a hand, especially when there is a king and a queen on the board. I hate how he played the turn as he could have had all of my chips had he pushed. On the river, it is not too bad considering that AQ is a logical holding, and I would have pushed that. Regardless, slowplaying a set turned boat on all three streets against a good player who is betting behind you is just bad.

Beefcake

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point was villian up against a "good" player?

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beefcake

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point was villian up against a "good" player?

[/ QUOTE ]

touche

psyduck
08-26-2005, 10:37 PM
AQ makes no sense also since you checked the river. Also, I'm unsure of whether you raise AQ pf of not.

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AQ makes no sense also since you checked the river. Also, I'm unsure of whether you raise AQ pf of not.

[/ QUOTE ]

he didnt have that information at that point.

Beefcake