PDA

View Full Version : Ok, my turn to ask for medical"ish" advice...

AdamL
08-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I have a strange condition where my body becomes sore (almost entirely on the right side) very easily. The best way I can describe it is that my body likes to "overreact" to anything bad that happens to it.

If I smoke something, my right lung and chest gets really stiff and sore for over a week following. So bad I can't even sleep properly. That's just from one toke, not even holding it in or anything. So, obviously, I don't get to smoke anything very often.

Likewise, if I have a coffee my stomache and bladder go into absolute fits.

If I wake up a little earlier than normal (even just a little) my bowels feel like I just ate the entire McDonalds menu, and a few coffees.

All the bones on the right side of my body snap all the time and get sore. I go to bed with very sore muscles and joints every night.

Doctors have ruled out just about everything they can think of with ultrasounds, x-rays, etc. It's not arthritis. It's not visible inflammation.

The mystery problem...

Anyone else have anything similar, and any advice on what it might be? Particularly the chest/smoking thing bothers me... and it's not asthma -- tested for that.

miajag81
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm no doctor, but not smoking seems like a fantastic idea.

Los Feliz Slim
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
No experience with the soreness, etc, but the coffee and sleep/stomach issues are very familiar to me. I am lactose intolerant and have IBS and my stomach/digestive system was absolutely crazy before I finally addressed my issues. Coffee was the worst offender, but dairy and alcohol are very harsh on the tract as well. Drink lots of water (not ice-cold, room temperature is much better), quit coffee (even decaf, because it's not the caffeine), and limit dairy and alcohol. Helped me a lot.

AdamL
08-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Yep. Unfortunately that only prevents the symptoms... I'd really like to know why I have this reaction and these problems at the root of it all.

I have to avoid smokey buildings too. Same reaction.

swede123
08-26-2005, 09:04 PM
If the doctors (plural) don't know wtf is up with you I seriously doubt we have much of a chance of figuring out your ailment.

Swede

AdamL
08-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah it's a long shot isn't it? /images/graemlins/wink.gif I was just hoping somebody might have had similar experiences, such as Slim did above.

UseThePeenEnd
08-26-2005, 10:06 PM
The first thing I thought was reactive arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis, but it sounds like they worked you up for these.

08-26-2005, 10:08 PM
body-snap syndrome or lopsidedness

you will live to be very old but you are a little quirky. Probably should cut it out with the smoking thingy. I would hug you if you were here

Duffman
08-26-2005, 10:11 PM
When I had my old job at Gold's Gym I had to be there Saturday and Sunday at 6:45 AM to open up. Every Saturday and Sunday that I was there I had really bad stomach problems. I would crap like 4-5 times during my 8 hour shift. Sometimes barely anything would come out, and the next time a bucketload. Sometimes I thought I had to crap but I would just sit there and nothing would come out. This happened every weekend so far. I never got more than 5 hours of sleep before work and so I figure that's where to problems stemmed from.

08-26-2005, 10:21 PM
thank you for sharing that with us

Stuey
08-26-2005, 10:28 PM
I never had any serious problems before but I know that the following will make anything better might not fix it but will never make it worse.

Exercise

People don't know what this means and it is so simple. It means work hard at something for at least 1 hr everyday you breath air. Hard means hard and it means you have to work harder as you get stronger so get used to it and learn to like it.

Diet

The human body is made to be able to keep us alive with anything we can find to eat just incase we don't have a choice at the time. So I think you can eat whatever you want as long as it has no additives and is unprocessed for obvious reasons I don't need to explain. It is very important not to eat too much however. It is much better to not eat enough. Good luck on this one it is near impossible. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

This is the most important stuff and doctors get tired of telling people it as no one listens to them so they give up. I am not telling you to do this but it helps me remember it for myself if I say/type it out as I stray far from the ideal regularly like everyone else.

I think you might have a pinched nerve in your back/neck. Then when you are stressed in anyway you tense up and more pressure is put on the nerve causing the weakness. Or it is just your mental reaction to stress causing the weak feeling. Both are cured if you lose weight, if you need to. And increase cardio fitness which will also lower blood pressure ect.

Don't go to a back cracker as that is the easy way out and if it does work it won't work forever and you could make things worse. Exercise more and eat less. I hate the way I sound when I give advice. Like I know everything, which I don't. I have to remember to do these things also so assume I am talking to myself here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CD56
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
sounds like it might be some type of hypersensitivity condition, have they checked antibody titers?

the right sided business made me think about lymphatics, is it your legs too, or just your upper body?

this is a very odd condition indeed, i'd try to get a referral to a rheumatologist, they'd probably be your best bet for some answers

pokertonbear1
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Your stomach problems might have more to do with it than you think. If you have ulcerative colitis which is an intestinal illness, your immune system may be really depleted and you may also be anemic which could cause the soreness. Arthritis is also associated with the disease even though it doesn't present with the same symptoms as normal arthritis. Maybe go to the gastroenterologist and discuss it with him/her. You'd be surprised how much your stomach and stomach problems can effect the rest of the body.

Blarg
08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Lime disease? Doesn't that result in all kinds of soreness?

Actually my first thought was fibromyalgia. I have a friend who has that and she gets very sore muscles and muscle weakness, as well as sleeping problems coupled with extreme tiredness.

PLOlover
08-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Classic Leukemia symptoms.