PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lender, whats my play

Pinlifter
08-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I get my property tax assesment and its a huge increase in the value of my home, so I decide to refinance and pull some cash out. Anyways after shopping around on the internet I decide on a lender. The lender is in New Jersey and I am in WA state. The lender has a refundable rate lock fee which I pay with a credit card. When the loan closes the fee is supposed to be credited back to the card or applied toward settlement charges. The terms of the rate lock agreement state that if the loan does not close within the lock period through no substantial fault of the borrower, I can terminate my commitment and recieve a refund.

Anyways long story short, Loan officer and loan processor both go on vaction, processing managers can't find the appraisal, and the loan does not close before the rate lock expiration. Loan officer returns from vacation day after the lock expires, tells me the appraisal came in a little low, we discuss new options and come to an agreement.

Loan officers emails me new disclosures which are different from my original ones. Not only are the terms different(which was expected) but the language is now more favorable to the lender. I call the loan officer and tell him I'm not going to sign theses new disclosures(one is a new lock in agreement with the old expired expiration date) the other is an agreement saying the rate lock fee is now non-refundable but will be applied to my settlement charges. Another is a completely new document that asks me to sign way my rights to contest the credit card charges. I'm firm with the loan officer that I'm not going to sign these and He accuses me of playing games. He tells me that if I withdraw my application I will have forfieted my rate lock fee.

I still want a refi but my position is that if I sign these new disclosures the lender can turn around and immeadiately raise the rate and I will have no recourse. The rate I locked in is the maximum I am willing to pay and if it goes up I do not want the refi.

I'm now dealing with the Director of operations and have asked him for a refund of the lock-fee. Right now they are balking/stalling. Should I go ahead and contest the charge with my credit card company? I have threatned to file a complaint with NJ Dept of Banking - was that a mistake?

Pinlifter

Boris
08-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm a highly trained real estate lawyer. so are many of the other posters on this board. Go take a dump on your loan officer's desk.

Next time, go directly to bank president for loan. Wise old man in Montana said this is the way to go.

edfurlong
08-26-2005, 07:26 PM
[censored] jersey.

Pinlifter
08-26-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a highly trained real estate lawyer. so are many of the other posters on this board. Go take a dump on your loan officer's desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well his desk is 3000 miles away. Maybe I could mail him a dump. Whats a good way to package that sort of thing?

Pinlifter.

cadillac1234
08-26-2005, 07:55 PM
1.Dispute the charges on the credit card.
2.File a complaint with the WA Dept of RE (the NJ guys need to be licensed in the state were the principle is located)
3.Get a new lender these guys are scam artists

Stacheman
08-26-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3.Get a new lender these guys are scam artists

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there are plenty of reputable mortgage brokers in the area where you live, get a referral and deal with someone local. Find one that has access to many different lenders/programs (most brokers, not direct lenders, do). Also, I've never heard of a "rate lock fee", that is a total junk charge in place so you feel like you've already made a commitment. Good luck

morgan180
08-28-2005, 07:53 PM
1. NEVER PAY FOR ANYTHING FOR A LENDER OTHER THAN YOUR APPRAISAL.

2. DISPUTE THE CHARGES WITH THE CC COMPANY

3. CALL YOUR APPRAISER AND GET THE APPRAISAL SWITCHED TO YOUR NAME ASAP.

4. GIVE THE NJ LENDER THE FINGER

5. FIND A NEW BANK.