PDA

View Full Version : hands called vs uncalled

08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Just wanted some opinions, be gentle.

SNG $10 tables say about 3 to 4 players left.
My stats on hands called and hands not called where i win the pot. I usually have about a 1 to 3 or 4 ratio. Basicly for every hand called, I'm taking in 3 to 4 pots not called. Your opinions, is that too high, should I slow down the bets. I play at Poker stars.

zac777
08-27-2005, 03:19 AM
I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to that stat before, but I imagine that mine would be at least that high with 3 or 4 players. Probably more like double, but my typical opponents are less likely to call a raise. If the blinds are big in relation to your stack, you should love taking uncontested pots.

Whether it's your number is "good" and whether you should slow down is hard to say without more information. Post some hands that you're pushing, along with what sort of hands you think your opponents would call with and you will get better answers.

AtticusFinch
08-27-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to that stat before

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither have I, but it's interesting. Our endgame discussions revolve around whether to push a particular hand with a particular chip distribution, opponent read, etc. But we never seem to mention whether we've pushed the last 20 hands in a row or not, and this has always perplexed me.

I often wonder about whether I'm pushing "too much," not in terms of hand range, but in terms of my opponents loosening up with calls. So after I've made a bunch of pushes, I tend to tighten up a little and hope for a big hand to push with. I'm sure the notion is obvious to everyone. I'm not sure, however, whether it's the correct move. It just seems to be.

The thing is, I adjust here based on "feel." Calls/push may be a first stab at something trackable to see if one is getting it right. I have no idea what a "good" ratio would be, but it might be something to investigate.

Thoughts?

tjh
08-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Great thread...

I am new at pokertracker but I might try and mine some data. Will have to put it into MySQL or Postgres so i can run some queries on it.

We should look more into tracking the untracked and getting some real data on this.

At some point they call. What should we track or look for?

Something like # of pushes/orbit vs # of calls. As pushes rise we expect calls to rise. Or will they, maybe the fish really just play there hands and we can push all we want. I doubt it.

Maybe # of pushes in last 20 hands is more relevant ?

Harrington has a great line about stealing blinds. Something like.. "You are stealing there chips, they know you are stealing there chips, give them a face-saving way to give you the chips and you can continue to steal."

Once you give them no reasonable way to fold without showing the world that they are a loser then they have to call.

I guess that is part of why a stop and go works. A reraise is a direct challenge a raise after a flop gives them and excuse to fold.

08-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I guess I should of gotten more data. I haven't been using any tracking program yet. The stats I'm quoting would be from SNG 9 player tables and how the stats reflect when we get down to 3 or 4 players. The stats would change alot when its down to 2 or 3 players so thats why I quote down to 3 or 4. anyways I had simply noticed I seem to have that 1 to 3or4 ratio. I'll try to find some stats on it. I down tend to push the bet after the flop where I get alot of pots to prevent someone from outdrawing me. ex I have a pair and the flop comes 9,8 (suited) and a 3. I would push abit to prevent someone from outdrawing me.