PDA

View Full Version : pot equity. How to use in limit O8

Jim Morgan
08-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the pot equity stats such as twodimes are really cool and have a lot of potential, but I also know that they do not really tell the whole story, especially on the flop where one must handle turn betting.

Does anyone know how to use this data to incorporate the turn betting? Does the latest version of Turbo Omaha have anything that can do similar analysis. I would also really like to be able to find a way to do simulations that produce an AVERAGE pot equity. For example, If I flop middle set, my pot equity has a lot to do with what I am up against. If someone has top set, I need to be folding, but otherwise I am at least looking at a reasonable hand. Since I usually cannot know if someone has this holding, it would be nice to have a general sense of just how good this hand is.

I could say more, but I think the general idea of what I am interested is clear enough. Anybody have any ideas for ways to really analyze Omaha-8 boards.

Jim

TGoldman
08-26-2005, 05:59 PM
As Ray Zee would say, the answer to your question is "That is, you must play poker well." From a strictly analytic standpoint, you could use a baseline estimate by assuming that you're up against the current nuts and calculate your equity based on the outs you need to improve. However, you aren't necessarily always facing the current nuts, and so you'll need to put your opponents on a range of hands and learn from experience where you would stand pot equity-wise in each scenerio. Then take the weighted average and try to make the best decision with the information you have. I like Ray Zee's answer better though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif