PDA

View Full Version : bubble hand, UB $22

nath
08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
This is from a few days ago. Can't get the proper output from the hand converter.
The big question is, what does the small blind's bet mean?

Cutoff: 2840
Button: 2510
SB: 6130
BB (Hero): 3520

Blinds: 100/200

Hero: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

cutoff folds, button raises to t400, SB calls, hero calls.

Flop: (t1200) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

SB bets 1200, Hero...

Raemius
08-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I think he's taking a shot at the pot, thinking there being two queens already out, another queen having been dealt is not likely. I'd probably call this, You are probably way ahead. If he had the Q, he would want atleast some callers and not bet so high. What was your read on the guy?

I'd like to hear what some of the old hands have to say.

08-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm not a good player, I'm actualy kinda new, but.. I'd raise, I think that the SB is looking to keep you undercontrol and buy the pot. I'd toss it back at him and see him fold.

I'm interested to see what others would do..

pearljam
08-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Easy push. He is the big stack and is probably bullying or, "protecting" his 2. Also Q with a lower kicker then your J is more likely then QK or AQ.

PS: If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

downtown
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
The SB's bet means he has a lot of chips and wants to buy the pot. Smooth call and let him fire another shot on the turn if he wants, at which point he'll hopefully put you all in or you can go all in over the top. If he checks the turn to you, don't be afraid to continue to trap and check back. You have position, use it. You're way ahead here 99% of the time (not 99% to win, mind you, just % of the time you're ahead).

downtown
08-26-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Easy push. He is the big stack and is probably bullying or, "protecting" his 2. Also Q with a lower kicker then your J is more likely then QK or AQ.

PS: If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh both parts of your advice are terrible IMO. Do you want the aggressive player to fold when you come over the top? I don't. Why not let him fire again? Why not let the LP player come over the top and bluff? It's unlikely, but we can hope, can't we? I am putting my chips in as a caller to an all-in with no hesitation here.

Folding QJ to a minraise, getting 5:1 and closing the action PF on the bubble with 17.5BB is also horrible. Puke!

nath
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was your read on the guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd been decently aggressive with his stack, but I didn't see anything too out of line. I was the most aggressive player at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that wasn't an option getting 5:1 odds, and when I saw the flop i was like "BAM!" but the pot-sized bet wigged me out a little.

I'll give the results after I hear some more responses.

DyessMan89
08-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Only thing I can see him betting here (that has you beat) is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. He might have that, but he probobly doesnt. Im calling the flop, and letting him fire away on later streets.

08-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Had you pushed all in over the top on anyone recently? If so this could be a good time to do so again and get a spite call? If he seems smart he may realize the smooth call from an aggresive player as being a trap. Hard to say which way will get more money into the pot.

lastchance
08-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Calls and gets his chips in on the turn.

DireWolf
08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
i call here
call or push the turn

Uppercut
08-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Not only did you get an almost perfect flop, but you then got almost perfect action by having the big stack bet big into you. If big stack has 22, AQ, or KQ, so be it. (I highly, highly doubt it). Call the flop bet and push the turn if he fires another round.

nath
08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
Actual hand:
I pushed, villain called, showed 22.
So is the consensus just "no way to avoid this"? I thought so, but my immediate reaction to his bet was "pocket deuces"-- possibly because pot-sized bets hadn't happened very often in the later levels. I certainly wasn't looking for a reason to fold when I played and I could be looking for an after-the-fact justification, but when he actually showed it I felt a little sick that his (improbable) hand matched my first instinct.
I was also curious if it being the bubble would affect that decision at all. I don't start playing weak-tight on the bubble, but the combination of factors makes me wonder.
So it's just one of those things? "That's poker"?
I didn't really consider the smooth call because the pot was already so big that a call pot-commits me, plus it's worth taking down there, plus I think a call is even more suspicious than an all-in.
I'll try to be back later to discuss it more.