PDA

View Full Version : Pro Poker player/ apartments

ConsciousOne
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
This is a hypothetical question i have, not pertaining to myself. Suppose someone is a pro poker player who makes about 1k a month, and they want to get an apartment where the rent is 300 a month. How does this player get the lease when there only source of income is poker?

Wake up CALL
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Pay six months rent in advance.

Johnny Richter
08-26-2005, 05:08 PM
300 a month... man i got to get out of orange county

BettyBoopAA
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
lol, maybe he meant $300 a week

Johnny Richter
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, maybe he meant $300 a week

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats still less than mine...

ConsciousOne
08-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Well my apartment is a 2 bedroom for 470 a month, so split it is 235 a month, then after all the other bills about 300 a month.

Wake up CALL
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well my apartment is a 2 bedroom for 470 a month, so split it is 235 a month, then after all the other bills about 300 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is a hypothetical question i have, not pertaining to myself. Suppose someone is a pro poker player who makes about 1k a month, and they want to get an apartment where the rent is 300 a month. How does this player get the lease when there only source of income is poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it? Hypothetical or pertaining to yourself?

ConsciousOne
08-26-2005, 06:13 PM
It is hypothetical. I pay rent with a normal job. It is at least hypothetical in a sense that i dont plan on getting an apartment where i pay for it with only poker money. I was just curious.

08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same thing. I'm in orange paying 700 for a small room +40 internet + 100 elect +50-75 for water/gas/phone. I need to move back to Oklahoma...

Johnny Richter
08-26-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same thing. I'm in orange paying 700 for a small room +40 internet + 100 elect +50-75 for water/gas/phone. I need to move back to Oklahoma...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in fullerton paying $1375 for 2 bed/2 bath, 114 for cable/internet, and 110 for electric. No gas bill, no phone bill (work pays for cell) and the apt covers water and trash. Its newly renovated but still 1375.............

Wake up CALL
08-26-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in fullerton paying $1375 for 2 bed/2 bath, 114 for cable/internet, and 110 for electric. No gas bill, no phone bill (work pays for cell) and the apt covers water and trash. Its newly renovated but still 1375.............

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! I purchased a 3500 sq.ft. 300k home in Plano 2 years ago with 10% down and my payment plus utilities is just a smidgeon higher.

Johnny Richter
08-26-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

WOW! I purchased a 3500 sq.ft. 300k home in Plano 2 years ago with 10% down and my payment plus utilities is just a smidgeon higher.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think i hate you... nope wait a minute.
Yes, yes i hate you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

wegs the wegs
08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
someone is a pro poker player who makes about 1k a month

[/ QUOTE ]

Before this thread turns fully into comparing the bills of all the 2+2 posters...

Can anyone really be called a pro if they only make 1k a month? 12k a year is achievable through a part time jobs. Anyone else have a problem with this number?

ConsciousOne
08-26-2005, 08:52 PM
It is my understanding that the term "poker pro" describes someone whose only source of income is poker. I am in college right now, and if i made 1k a month in poker i could easily live off of it.

Slappz
08-26-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is my understanding that the term "poker pro" describes someone whose only source of income is poker. I am in college right now, and if i made 1k a month in poker i could easily live off of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure that makes you a student, not a poker pro. 1k is good for spending money, but if your paying tuition + housing + fees 1k wont be giving you anything to live off of.

Malachii
08-26-2005, 11:21 PM
700 a month sounds really good. Where exactly in Orange? Do you have the apartment all to yourself?

Malachii
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Why the heck is this in poker theory?

That said, it's an interesting post /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jorge10
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure that makes you a student, not a poker pro. 1k is good for spending money, but if your paying tuition + housing + fees 1k wont be giving you anything to live off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed I make 4k a month off poker and I am a student living with my parents cause I cant afford a place to live, pathetic...

Xhad
08-26-2005, 11:23 PM
I got my current apartment ($350/mo BEFORE utilities) when I was unemployed, hadn't even gotten into poker yet. In that case you pretty much need to have either a credit history, someone with a credit history willing to cosign, or as someone else said the willingness to plonk down several month's rent up front. It may also take some shopping around/haggling, I hit up several landlords before finding one that would rent to me.

Malachii
08-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Where the [censored] are all these 350 a month apartments?

Xhad
08-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Spokane, WA in my case.

mockingbird
08-27-2005, 12:17 AM
I lived in OC - I know exactly what you mean. Rents were sky high 6 years ago, can't imagine what they are now.

mockingbird
08-27-2005, 12:19 AM
61/2 years ago I was paying $800 for a 1Br/1Ba in Laguna Hills.

Yours sounds cheap.

mockingbird
08-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Yes 1k a month is not a pro anything - its poverty.

ConsciousOne
08-27-2005, 01:26 AM
slappz wrote
"Im pretty sure that makes you a student, not a poker pro. 1k is good for spending money, but if your paying tuition + housing + fees 1k wont be giving you anything to live off of. "

No i dont make 1k a month off poker, I pay the bills with a normal job.

And my apartment is in lafayette, La. It is pretty nice for the 235 a month as well.

NMcNasty
08-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Landlords don't really do background checks or anything especially if its just a crappy single apartment for $300 a month. Usually there's a security deposit though, which can be as much as 2 months rent. As long as you pay that you should be good with most any landlord.

NMcNasty
08-27-2005, 02:36 AM
As long as minimum wage is 5.15 and people are living off of $700 a month or less I think anyone making more than that from poker can call themselves a pro.

arod4276
08-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Very very true statement. Why do more people not share this view?

Jorge10
08-27-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as minimum wage is 5.15 and people are living off of $700 a month or less I think anyone making more than that from poker can call themselves a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont agree with this, while some people are making 700 a month and living off it, it depends on where you live, in my area of california 700 doesnt even pay for a house, but then again the minimum wage is 6.75 here and most places pay like 7 bucks so its a big difference, but thats not the point. I dont think you can call yourself a pro until you are paying all your bills from poker and are self reliant in other words, you dont require any other income to live outside of poker and are living adequately in your area.

KneeCo
08-27-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can call yourself a pro until you are paying all your bills from poker and are self reliant in other words, you dont require any other income to live outside of poker and are living adequately in your area.

[/ QUOTE ]

This simply makes no sense. How is 'living adequately' have anything to do with your profession?! By this logic, a janitor is not actually a janitor if he's making 12k a year and is in debt? All those people trying to make ends meet by working 60 hours a week at Wal-Mart, in your opinion, are unemployed??

If you had a conversation with one of these people would it sound like this:
THEM: I'm a greeter a Wal-Mart.
YOU: No you're not because you have to borrow money from your sister to make the rent sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you can call yourself a pro until you are paying all your bills from poker and are self reliant

[/ QUOTE ]
should probably read:
I don't think you should consider being a pro until you are positive you can pay all your bills from poker and be self reliant, and even then there are other serious issues to be taken into account.

benkahuna
08-27-2005, 01:27 PM
You are "self-employed."

Or just flat out lie. It's not the most ethical thing, but neither is the treatment of poker as a source of income and ev

08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, not to butt into a real estate thread, but $1k a month is attainable playing part time at party. You're only making a little more than $33 a day.

Jorge10
08-27-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This simply makes no sense. How is 'living adequately' have anything to do with your profession?! By this logic, a janitor is not actually a janitor if he's making 12k a year and is in debt? All those people trying to make ends meet by working 60 hours a week at Wal-Mart, in your opinion, are unemployed??

[/ QUOTE ]

You havent lived in poverty much no? Both my parents work at walmart and have always worked minimum wage jobs, no one in our lifetime has ever helped us with any bills because the rest of my family is like them so there is no money to spare, if you think people at walmart borrow money to pay for bills you are insane they cant pay it back I know we couldnt. Most people adjust to what they make, we lived in apparments forever until the recent pay interest only thing on housing and even then we got a town house because thats all we could afford. People that work at walmart generally live in apparments and live adequately, I know because my parents work there and talk to their coworkers. Also living adequately is paying your bills on time, and well eating and not much else really, thats why its adequately and not living in luxury.

KneeCo
08-27-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to think of a way you could possibly have missed the point of my reply more.

I can't.

KidPokerX
08-27-2005, 08:40 PM
You're right - he missed your point completely.

IMO anyone can call themselves a poker pro if they cover all of their expenses mainly from poker. If you have 3k/mth expenses and make $500/mth playing poker and $2500/mth working you're not a poker pro. If you have $400/mth expenses and make $415/mth playing poker you are a poker pro. There is nothing more to it.

JonPKibble
08-27-2005, 08:50 PM
pro·fes·sion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl)

n.
A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
A skilled practitioner; an expert.

Nope, don't see any income requirement in the dictionary definition of "professional".

08-27-2005, 11:29 PM
If you are a pro poker player making 1K a month consider working at Mcdonald's instead. Or consider moving to a place like Honduras where 1K actually might mean something.

Perhaps the 1K is just hypothetical, and you actually make more. But if you can't make more than that, give it up and make yourself a better life almost doing anything else.

Xhad
08-27-2005, 11:39 PM
6.00 (more than federal minimum wage) * 40 (more hours than most fast food restaurants will give you) * 4 = $960, before taxes. And you're forced to adhere to a schedule, endure abusive work conditions and often find yourself losing hours for no reason. $1k/month is a poor income, but it's still better than most unskilled jobs.

Jorge10
08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are a pro poker player making 1K a month consider working at Mcdonald's instead. Or consider moving to a place like Honduras where 1K actually might mean something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man if he made 1k and lived in Cuba hed be living a millionare lifestyle, thats the way to go, he must make 1k a month and move to Cuba if he wants to live for cheap.

08-28-2005, 01:43 AM
No pro at that level. More of a joke. And more of fooling oneself into believing you are a pro.

08-28-2005, 01:44 AM
It's a joke to call yourself a pro at that amount. A sad joke.

08-28-2005, 01:46 AM
I hope that as a college student you have better aspirations that trying to make 1K a month. Study hard. Become an engeneer or something. Spend more time in the library and less on the internet playing poker. Forget poker. Study instead.