PDA

View Full Version : One Good Hand, One Bad Hand

UOPokerPlayer
08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
I was in my third orbit and had this opponent pinned as a LAG, who will continuation bet.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($100)
UTG ($18.95)
MP ($103.60)
CO ($134.35)
Button ($50.80)
SB ($370.88)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($4.50) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($10.50) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, CO calls $14.

River: ($50.50) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>

This is my second orbit and I had MP pinned as a maniac, making big overbets. I still think this a clear fold. I bet $15 because it commits UTG at a cheap price and gets the same info.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($200.37)
Button ($145.80)
SB ($223.25)
Hero ($100)
UTG ($29.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG calls $7, MP calls $7, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($26) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG calls $21.50 (All-In), MP calls $192.37 (All-In), Hero ?

Cardinal991
08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Methinks you overplay the ATs. I don't know what to make of CO's preflop minraise, but it's been done with JJ-AA on more than one occasion. That he led out and then called a big c/r on the turn is a bright red flag, too.

As for the AA hand, you played it fine as far as it goes. I'd fold to MPs all-in. He may have a draw or nada but I think you get shown 88 or 99 a lot here.

orange
08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He may have a draw or nada but I think you get shown 88 or 99 a lot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think one plays a set like this? You don't think the average donk just smooth calls?

Cardinal991
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He may have a draw or nada but I think you get shown 88 or 99 a lot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think one plays a set like this? You don't think the average donk just smooth calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the donk always or even usually pushes his set on the flop. But what other hand could he play this way?

He limps in MP, calls a 7x raise and call behind him, and then goes over the top of Hero's strong lead bet (and AI call?).

He was getting close to 3:1 PF, and I think his range does include JsTs (straight and flush) and AsXs, but if that's the best-case scenario, I can't see calling off my stack.

UOPokerPlayer
08-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Hmmm, I didn't consider much to as the size of the pf mini-raise. I had seen the player make moves at the pots and saw his flop bet as something of that sort. As far as the check-raise goes, I'm pretty sure I have the best hand here, and he re-raises with better hands and that lets me fold a second-best hand. Also, my previous weakness and 'waking up' gives players doubt in my experience. That being said, after he calls the turn, how do you like the river play? What kind of lines would anyone take altogether on this hand?

Yes, folding to MP's all in does seem like a good idea, but it's hard not be results oriented (villian had 89o). I agree with one poster who said that a set is rarely played this way, but there is a flush draw out there, and that adds less likelihood that players will slow down. Donk-thinking here I think goes like "Oh my god, there's $50 in the pot, I better win it now" and they push a very strong hand, even if it means losing value. But... to a donk, 1010-KK are entered into the exact same thought process and they want to protect their overpair. I still think folding here is correct about 90% of the time and I need a hell of a read to re-consider. Someone tell me I'm weak-tight.