PDA

View Full Version : My 1st 1000 Hands

08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
So I have played my first 1000 hands online and the results are mixed.

I started with a bankroll of $150.

I am currently -$16.50 on SNG tournaments (3 entries, 0 ITM), -$5.50 on MTT (1 entry, 0 ITM) and -$14.00 on ring games.

In the games I have tracked (stats not with me right now), I am about 28% VP$IP. I think my PFR is about 10-14%. I know I need to tighten up on my hand selection, and I have started doing that.

On the ring games, I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but I know I am beating the crap out of the .25/.50 tables and doing well at .5/1 - but I got killed in one session of 1/2 (I know I shouldn't be at 1/2 - but I needed to accumulate points for my deposit bonus - pokerroom.com)

So now I am back at .25/.50 and doing quite well.

It has been a bumpy ride though. I hit a downswing that was largely brought on by bad play - and then one that was brought on by bad cards. Finally, today, I started to feel better about my play. I was down a little bit, but that was after getting sucked out twice on flush draws at the river - and in both cases, the guy was clearly chasing and I had a solid, made hand (straight in one hand, set in the other).

So by and large, I am quite happy at this point. I expected to lose at the start and so I am glad that I have managed to keep it under control and to now stick at a level that I feel I can beat. I expect to stay at the .25/.50 for some time. I am going to allow myself a couple more tournament entries and hopefully finish ITM in one of them.

I'll update you after 2000 hands.

aargh57
08-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Hank,

It sounds like you're doing some of the things that will help you out and if you're here that probably means you have an advantage over most of the players.

A few suggestions, if you don't mind:

1. With only 1000 hands it seems to me that you should be trying to clear an easier bonus at your level. I'd suggest going to bonuswhores.com and doing their bonuswhore 101 guide. It gives you very good instructions on where to go for the bankroll you're at.

2. Tighten up your starting standards. I know you recognize this but you see this "I know I'm too loose but I'm tightening up now" excuse a lot on the boards. Just do it. You have SSH, right? Learn the charts and stick to them. I don't mean you will know them 100% accurately but if you follow them at all you should be well below 28%VPIP. This is something that you can improve upon immediately. If you know the charts but are playing too many hands because you're not disciplined, then write yourself a note on a sticky and paste it to the computer or something.

3. Stick to either ring or sit-n-go's. If you're just playing one or two tourneys to break up the monotony fine, but it sounds like you're splitting up your time between the two. I would suggest concentrating on one or the other so you don't have to worry about changing strategies.

4. Listen to whatever Sheridan Cat and the others here are going to tell you. If anything they say counters what I've said then forget me. I don't think they will though. I think that you're on the right track coming here. Keep it up and good luck in your next 1000 hands.

Also, when you get sucked out by flush draws on the river, usually the guy "sucking out" had proper odds to chase.

08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice!

And I know he had the proper draw odds to chase - but he should still only hit 1 out of 3-4 times - so two times in a row hurts at the time - but I recognize that it will balance out in the long run.

08-26-2005, 03:51 PM
I just wanted to second aargh57's comment in regards to clearing easier bonuses. I just started playing online for money at the beginning of August. I started with $50 and went, as recommended by bonuswhores.com, to Bet365. It was fairly easy to clear...and I only play an hour to an hour and a half a night. The play there seemed to not be too tough, and I actually won about $20 in addition to my bonus.

I've since cleared the CrazyPoker bonus and am now working on the Paradise Poker one. The bonuses seem like a good way to help hedge the learning curve while one is getting started.