PDA

View Full Version : Tivo vs Comcast Tivo

AZK
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Is there any reason to get Comcast Tivo at $10/month rather than buying a Tivo on your own and getting the lifetime membership? I talked to the guys at tweeder who sold my dad a whole entertainment system and they suggested comcast tivo over regular tivo because it would be esier to hook everything up and it would be one less remote. Anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks.

utmt40
08-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Comcast can suck my dick!

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
There are pros and cons to each. The comcast box is not TiVo. It's Comcast DVR, which is a knock-off. Most people like the TiVo interface much better. You can get a separate TiVo box, but then you'll have to use a blaster to get the remote control signal to your cable box and that causes a delay when you're changing channels - VERY annoying. Also note that the "lifetime" subscription is not your lifetime, but rather however long you have that exact TiVo box. If you upgrade to a new one, it doesn't transfer.

Freakin
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
You can record in HD on the comcast DVR. There are NO other benefits to it.

In mid to late 2006 you should start seeing the comcast/tivo boxes available. Best of both worlds, i hope.

You'll be much happier with tivo for now.

Freakin

FatOtt
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I've had both Tivo and Comcast DVR for the past year. My Comcast DVR was recently upgraded. Here's my take:

The tivo interface is much better. On top of that, I believe the underlying software is better. As an example, if you have a season pass for a particular show that usually runs on Wednesdays, tivo will actually catch that show if it's shown on a Thursday because of some scheduling change. I don't believe that the Comcast DVR does that. So the tivo "experience" is great. Using the remote blasters from the tivo to a cable box is mildly irritating, but not that big a deal.

However, the DVR is also a good deal. First, it allows you to record in high-definition, which is awesome. Even if you're not recording a show, but just watching a show, you're able to watch it on high-definition, where tivo can't pass through the high-definition signal. My new Comcast DVR (it just got upgraded a month ago or so) has better software (but still worse than tivo), but it now has dual tuners, so you can record two shows at the same time. It also has an enormous storage capacity. Right now, we have about 4-5 movies (all high definition) and I think it's still less than 50% full.

When we first got the DVR, it was clear that tivo was far superior, despite the lack of high-definition. Now that the DVR has dual tuners and a ton of space and much-improved software, if I was choosing between buying a tivo and renting a DVR, I think I might rent the DVR.

sleight
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
I went with the third choice, the Pioneer DVR (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4139_237566718,00.html) . There are no montly fees because the guide is provided by TV guide, and doesn't have to hook to a land line to get the listings. I rather like it, it does the job, so to hell with Tivo and Comcast. Qwest too, I hate those steves.

Slow Play Ray
08-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Comcast's DVR interface sucks.

Also, the remote for mt DirecTV Tivo box works too slowly. It's very frustrating. Besides that, Tivo is the greatest thing EVER.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
You can get HD TiVos and TiVos also have dual inputs for watching/recording two channels.

Personally, I'm holding out for another year or two before I build a whole new entertainment system from scratch with an HD TiVo with DVD (blue ray?) burner and whatever badass sound system I find (and we'll see if I can get a new tv in there too).

cadillac1234
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can record in HD on the comcast DVR. There are NO other benefits to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Comcast drive is also really small compared to the TIVO stuff available but it's the only one that will record in HD under $1000....

astroglide
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
standalone hd tivos are directv only

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
standalone hd tivos are directv only

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? No HD TiVo? Well I guess I was mistaken, then. I've got DirecTv, so I didn't look too hard into that one, but I thought it was there.

Shajen
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Anyone have any idea when the HD tivo for DirecTV with DVD burning capability is slated to come out?

Is it already out there?

kenberman
08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
everybody has pretty much made all the points already; there are pro's and cons with each choice.

basically, Tivo is slicker/nicer software, but Comcast is easier, and has the HD feature.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any idea when the HD tivo for DirecTV with DVD burning capability is slated to come out?

Is it already out there?

[/ QUOTE ]
It won't be out for a little while. The problem is that they've still got to work out whether the new high-def DVD format will be blu-ray or DVD-HD or whatever it's called.

08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
It's almost always better to buy, right ? Why would you rent a TIVO ? Basically, if comcast is behind it, it's a bad idea. Look what they did to one of my favorite channels, TechTV. They screwed it up. They bought it out and made it G4 and now it's crap.

astroglide
no. there is an hd tivo. it only works with directv.

JayLear
Admittedly my Tivo was only the 40 hour version, but there seems to be much higher storage capacity in the Comcast version. And for as bad as Comcast's customer service is, Tivo's is a million times worse. Anybody ever try to get ahold of one of those jokers on the phone? Brutal.

RunDownHouse
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM
FWIW, I've heard only complaints from friends that have Comcast. Usually complaints about the interface/functionality.

08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Some of those TIVO's can be opened up and upgraded. You can put bigger Harddrives in them for bigger storage space. I've heard some people putting terabyte Harddrive's in them. You should look into which models you can do that with.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no. there is an hd tivo. it only works with directv.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I meant. I knew there was one for DirecTv (I almost got one). I thought there was the equivalent regular TiVo and I guess there's not. Sorry for my poorly-worded response earlier.

astroglide
08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
terabyte hard drives, eh?

dcasper70
08-26-2005, 03:41 PM
the TiVo software is also unbelievably tweekable. If you're computer saavy and don't mind losing rights to TiVo support, you can do some really slick shiit.

linky (http://www.tivocommunity.com/)

Dantes
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
tivo = warp forward 30 seconds button. comcast doesn't have that. draw your own conclusions.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tivo = warp forward 30 seconds button. comcast doesn't have that. draw your own conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, this is the one button that I wish my (DirecTv) TiVo had. It's got the back ~15s button and the forward all the way button, but no forward 30s button (like my Windows MCE remote has). It is the one thing I hate the most about my TiVo.

cadillac1234
08-26-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can program the Comcast remote to do this...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php/t-67541.html

RunDownHouse
08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
You can also program the TiVO buttons to do any length of time you want, not just 30 seconds/5 seconds, whatever.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can also program the TiVO buttons to do any length of time you want, not just 30 seconds/5 seconds, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but I don't want to take away the "go to the end" capability for the +30s capability. I'm one button short.

astroglide
08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
if you ff and hit the arrow, it will skip forward in 15 minute increments. reverse for rw. so even a 3 hour movie will only take a handful of button presses to zoom to the end.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you ff and hit the arrow, it will skip forward in 15 minute increments. reverse for rw. so even a 3 hour movie will only take a handful of button presses to zoom to the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah yeah, I know that. I want to have a +30s button for commercials without fastforwarding and hitting a well-timed "play", even though I've gotten pretty good at this.

astroglide
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
and you said you were worried about losing the "end" feature. i described to you how you're not really losing the functionality if you make the arrow button into a 30s skip. it still retains the ability to skip 15 minute increments.

StickyWicket
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Comcast's blows.

We're getting DirectTV just to go back to Tivo...

Oh...that, and Comcast blows.

Sticky /images/graemlins/heart.gif

AZK
08-29-2005, 12:31 PM
OK, Thanks for all the helpful advice. I decided I'm just going to buy a Tivo since I already loath comcast. I noticed that there are all these differnet boxes, 40 hours, 80, 300 etc... What do you guys have?

I think an 80 should be more than enough but I don't really know, I don't watch much tv, I follow a few sitcoms here and there and I'll probably watch some NHL if gets off the ground otherwise I'll probably use it to record movies here and there... is 80 enough? I also see that some of them have DVD recorders, as in, I could just rip movies to dvd? How is this legal? Does anyone use this function? How useful is it? I also talked to my friend who suggested buying lifetime and then when they come out with a new model or I want a change I can just sell it on ebay. I was looking on ebay and people are currently selling their lifetime membership Tivos, should I just buy off ebay? Good idea/bad idea? Everyone says the lifetime warranty transfers since it's for the box, so is there anything else I need to worry about?

codewarrior
08-29-2005, 12:36 PM
What are the complaints (specifics, please)? I don't know because I've only had the comcast DVR with the "record 2 at once" feature, and it seems pretty simple. Pretty easy to tell it to record the entire season of a show automaticaly. And if I see a show I want to record in the guide, I hit record, and it's programmed. What awesome functionality am I missing?

astroglide
08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
the tivo user interface is infinitely better than everything else i've seen/used. one of the more notable missing features is the wishlist function, where you can store searches. keyword, title, actor, director, category, etc. you can also have it auto-record based on those wishlists if you'd like instead of browsing. on my tivo, for example, i have a wishlist for anything that has 'poker' in the title.

codewarrior
08-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks! Seems like the comcast boxes better get a 'ware upgrade then. Keyword searching would be, well... key!

astroglide
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
i actually have 2 dvrs. one is a moxi hd dual-tuner dvr from charter, the other is a series2 tivo. i split the cable and feed to both of them. i only use the moxi for digital/hd stuff, everything else is watched on the tivo because it's so much better (not to mention it has more space).

Anadrol 50
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
It is not even a comparison....

TIVO DOES NOT RECORD HI DEF

Not to mention the Comcast has 2 tuners as opposed to Tivo's 1. Try recording 2 things at once on Tivo...

Yeah, the interface on Tivo is slightly more friendly, but that is similar to saying that Phil Hellmuth's book has a better cover than HFAP, it may but who gives a [censored]...

AZK
08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
How much Tv do you actually watch in hidef? I don't watch all that much....

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is not even a comparison....

TIVO DOES NOT RECORD HI DEF

Not to mention the Comcast has 2 tuners as opposed to Tivo's 1. Try recording 2 things at once on Tivo...

Yeah, the interface on Tivo is slightly more friendly, but that is similar to saying that Phil Hellmuth's book has a better cover than HFAP, it may but who gives a [censored]...

[/ QUOTE ]
You fools should get DirecTv. My TiVo has two inputs and there are HD TiVos for DirecTv.

Plus, DirecTv delivers over 225 channels in 100% digital quality.

Shajen
08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
all you need is a clear view of the southern sky.

Anadrol 50
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
lol, if you want HD with DirecTV you need 2 dishes, no thanks.....

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, if you want HD with DirecTV you need 2 dishes, no thanks.....

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the second stupidest thing I've heard on here today.

Anadrol 50
08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the second stupidest thing I've heard on here today.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you are obviously someone that is still viewing interlaced video, do some homework...

08-29-2005, 04:14 PM
A few years ago we got a Panasonic ReplayTV. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I like the display better than the TiVo display. At the time, Panasonic included lifetime schedule access with the purchase (which was about $50 more than TiVo), so we've never paid a monthly fee and it must be 3 years now. I'm pretty sure the "deal" has changed over the years, but IMO it's worth a quick comparison if you're going the TiVo route instead of the cable DVR.

samjjones
08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all you need is a clear view of the southern sky.

[/ QUOTE ]
My DirecTV bill seems to double every 6 months or so...

Shajen
08-29-2005, 04:50 PM
seriously?

Mine hasn't budged in 3 years.