PDA

View Full Version : Slowplaying Aces

08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Most people just don't get it. Slowplaying Aces, in general, in a 8 handed stud game, is just a foolish move, especially when the Ace is the door card. You give the weaker pairs and draws an inexpensive toll lane to get into the hand and when you do awaken your hand, it's obvious what you have and are doing and so decision making is easy. While it may be ok to slowplay on ocassion as a way to mix things up, basically full steam ahead. So foolish, So foolish this play. Find a different trick. Perhaps you can make a beautiful waitress materialize instead. But should you continue to want to slowplay, then you will need to learn how to make yourself disappear from the hand if things start looking bad for you.

However, the burried aces can occasionaly provide for some excitement for you tricksers. But even there, a large C for CAUTION warning is issued.

have a nice play.

Bartholow
08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's obvious what you have and are doing

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this imply that by occasionally slowplaying aces I can also represent slowplayed aces later? I very rarely slowplay aces, but if I thought it would be so "obvious" I might do it more, not less /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

BeerMoney
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Can I have your children?

08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
There are some players that i have played against, some successful, that will slowplay any high pair, and thus always try to be in trick mode, such as later raising in the hand, trying to represent that they indeed have the slowplayed hand when they don't. And yes, it can be a little trickier with more uncertainty when playing against such players, but the cheap toll lane that they give you into the hand well makes up for it. While in holdem, one bigger pair has a great advantage over a smaller pair, the same not being true in stud makes it dangerous and unprofitable to give the table cheap ways into the hand.

But if you enjoy the tickery and enjoy that more and in itself than maximizing profit, than slowplaying aces and high pairs is the way to go. But if you are looking to make the most oyu can......... If you like to slowplay, then it becomes important to be able to drop the hand if as a result of your slowplaying and letting someone else into the hand that they caught a hand. Unfortunatly, most people tend to be married to the high pairs and celebrate golden anniversaries with their aces.

Full speed ahead. Pay no attention to those icebergs.

08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
My one fan.

Bartholow
08-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah, my method of disguising big pairs is to raise more hands, not call big pairs. But I still think your claim of making it obvious when you slowplay is a bit off. The bit about a big pair not having a big advantage over a small pair is dead on, however, and so in general I agree.

BTirish
08-26-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my method of disguising big pairs is to raise more hands, not call big pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Even in otherwise tight games (as occasionally occur in Stars 1/2), I will usually get action on my big pairs because I consistently raise with many live 3 flushes and pairs with an overcard. This is also why, even in these somewhat tighter games, I get away with fast-playing most of my rolled hands as well.

I think it's been months since I've slowplayed aces, split or wired. I only slowplay rolled trips when the situation is right--my default play is to play them just as fast as any other hand.

PoorLawyer
08-27-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't slowplay aces.

Jacob_Gilliam
08-27-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't know where OP plays, but where I play and at my levels (Pacific Poker, between .50/1 and 2/4) virtually everyone, good and bad players alike, raises with aces. Maybe less than 10 percent don't.