PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural Events

Unoriginalname
08-26-2005, 01:09 PM

08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
There was a time when building fire was considered supernatural.

well
08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
The list of rules we have just might not be all.

fnord_too
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
By my definitions, the top choice is the only one that makes sense. It is impossible to violate a law of the universe, since if you do it is not a law of the universe. (OTOH it is very easy to not know these laws or misinterpret them or believe 'laws' that are not true.)

hurlyburly
08-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Well I had to pick 2 just because while my head tells me they aren't real, a lot of those ghost videos kind of freak me out. So even though logic tells me otherwise, I guess I believe it at some level.

08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I had to pick 2 just because while my head tells me they aren't real, a lot of those ghost videos kind of freak me out. So even though logic tells me otherwise, I guess I believe it at some level.

[/ QUOTE ]Even if ghosts are real, wouldn't they follow the laws of the universe? We might not be able to come close to understanding the laws of the universe, especially as they apply to ghosts, but that doesn't mean they don't exist (the ghosts or the laws). If there are events which don't conform to the laws of the universe, doesn't that just show that our understanding of the laws is flawed?

Georgia Avenue
08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
What is an "event?"

(Sorry for the nitishness, but it seems relevant.)

KidPokerX
08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I would argue that both answers have a direct coorelation between being a religious person and not being one.

jokerthief
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I think if someone believes in God, then the first choice is the only acceptable answer.

hurlyburly
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are events which don't conform to the laws of the universe, doesn't that just show that our understanding of the laws is flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say incomplete rather than flawed. I don't know what laws regulate ghosts, in any event. I can't say honestly if I prefer the mystery or the answer. My suspicion is that they are merely glimpses into alternate universes rather than a peak at the afterlife, but that sort of takes the fun out of it.

EDIT: After rereading the OP I guess ghosts weren't what he had in mind.

xniNja
08-26-2005, 05:40 PM
I think the wording of the two options is flawed... I don't want to automatically assume that the "laws of the universe" are something or other... but I answered two. I am slightly re-interpreting the question as such: Do the laws of physics as we know them, account for nature and the existence of the Universe as we know it?

The answer is no. The problem can be traced to the root, matter coming from nothing. Our current laws of Physics cannot explain this, and the Big Bang theory is paradoxical to certain laws of Physics, if we assume these laws were always in place.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize at first this post was about ghosts. The above stands for a deeper philosophical question about the nature of the universe.

08-26-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there are events which don't conform to the laws of the universe, doesn't that just show that our understanding of the laws is flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say incomplete rather than flawed.

[/ QUOTE ] OK: incomplete. But, that doesn't mean that there aren't laws that explain the things which we do not understand. Just that we don't yet know those laws.