PDA

View Full Version : Facing min-bets on the flop after my open raise

gisb0rne
08-26-2005, 01:06 PM
This is probably the play I hate facing most. I open raise with something like AK, get called by the BB, and on the flop the BB makes a minimum bet (severely underbetting the pot). Whether I hit or miss I never feel comfortable. I've seen these jokers min-bet with a lower pair, with a set, with nothing...anything's possible. What I've decided to do (whether I missed or hit) is raise to slightly more than half the pot, which is close to what I would have bet anyway. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. It just seems like the min-bet is such a cheap way to try and steal or at the least get a cheap look at the turn (if I don't raise).

Note this situation can also happen if I raise behind a limper and he calls.

What's the best way to deal with this? I haven't seen any threads regarding this topic.

zac777
08-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I think in general you're ok treating it like a check.

It means different things from different people. Usually I just ignore it and raise to whatever I was going to in the first place.

jon462
08-27-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably the play I hate facing most. I open raise with something like AK, get called by the BB, and on the flop the BB makes a minimum bet (severely underbetting the pot). Whether I hit or miss I never feel comfortable. I've seen these jokers min-bet with a lower pair, with a set, with nothing...anything's possible. What I've decided to do (whether I missed or hit) is raise to slightly more than half the pot, which is close to what I would have bet anyway. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. It just seems like the min-bet is such a cheap way to try and steal or at the least get a cheap look at the turn (if I don't raise).

Note this situation can also happen if I raise behind a limper and he calls.

What's the best way to deal with this? I haven't seen any threads regarding this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

10% of the time this is a sneaky\tricky player trapping with set or slowplayed overpair
90% of the time it is a complete donk with a weak hand hoping the blocking bet will work. If the flop is such that you would continuation bet anyway, I think you hafta raise here.