PDA

View Full Version : Can I fold?

joao_,martins
08-26-2005, 01:03 PM
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif- K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif MP in a .5/1 no-limit game.
I have $105.
I open-raise to 4.
LP calls with around
FLOP: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif- 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif- 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet 6 dollars.
LP raises to 12.
I re-raise to 30.
He goes all-in for 58 total.
28 for me to call in a 88 pot.
I understand that my pot-odds are way to good to pass up on it... but I cant possibly think I am good when he puts a 3 raise in, can I?
Do I have to call due to the size of the pot or can I still fold?

ryanghall
08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Do you have any reads on this opponent? If not, I guess you have to call due to pot odds at this point though you're very likely behind.

A much better way to play the hand is to call the flop and lead the turn for 1/2 pot or so and fold to further aggression.

If he's tight, folding to the flop raise probably isn't awful.

08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm guessing from your post you saw a set or something that beat you. The bottom line is, yes, you have to call unless you know him to be very tight and incapable of doing this with AQ or AJ. How to avoid this? Bet full pot on flop (~10), if minraised, maybe I call and lead turn or maybe I fold. Depends on whether I think he would do this with AQ/AJ.

Cardinal991
08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any reads on this opponent? If not, I guess you have to call due to pot odds at this point though you're very likely behind.

A much better way to play the hand is to call the flop and lead the turn for 1/2 pot or so and fold to further aggression.

If he's tight, folding to the flop raise probably isn't awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the call-lead turn line, but as played you've got to call. Your K may be live if V flopped 2-pr... of course if he coldcalled PF with Axs then he's probably not the kind of guy that shies away from pushing AQ/AJ.

yvesaint
08-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Re-raising his raise on the flop is bad.

08-26-2005, 05:43 PM
You can always fold, regardless of pot odds. You are getting three to one on your money here, so you only "have to" call when you think you are less than a three to one underdog. Calling 1 to make 3 is silly if you think you are 5:1 to win. Calling with 1 to win 90 is silly if you are certain you are beat. The point here is that making a call based on pot odds is always a comparison of your pot odds versus your best guess as to your odds of winning.

As played, yeah, you can fold.