PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Post-Apocalyptic Scenario

swede123
08-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I was having this disussion with a friend and he said he'd prefer post-nuclear holocaust, while I think I'd enjoy a post-plague type of scenario. What do you guys think?

Shajen
08-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Are we assuming a couple things here?

Like radiation from the nuke is gone?

Or the plague has been eradicated?

How about the zombies, are they all gone too?

samjjones
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we assuming a couple things here?

Like radiation from the nuke is gone?

Or the plague has been eradicated?

How about the zombies, are they all gone too?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this poll definitely needs clarification. Also, how many other survivors are there? What type of survivors, etc.

poker-penguin
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Water world would be OK, Day after Tomorrow would rock, I love the cold.

swede123
08-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I was thinking that for whatever reason you survived the initial event (immune to the plague, managed to stay away from the zombies so far, was shielded from the radiation) but there is still danger around.

Swede

Shajen
08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Then I agree with you, the plague is the best option.

Burn the bodies and be done with it.

08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
ZOMBIES!!!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gop/BUavatar.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Does OOT survive in any of these scenarios? How about Chipotle? I'm thinking plague, because that way all the technology and infrastructure is still there, just a lot fewer people.

Freakin
08-26-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ZOMBIES!!!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gop/BUavatar.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Antonio avatar is a total 1.4

Freakin

Shajen
08-26-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does OOT survive in any of these scenarios? How about Chipotle? I'm thinking plague, because that way all the technology and infrastructure is still there, just a lot fewer people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I survived it, there would be OOT.

RunDownHouse
08-26-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking plague, because that way all the technology and infrastructure is still there, just a lot fewer people.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really the biggie.

Freakin
08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Nuclear War. I want to play a real-life game of Fallout.

Freakin

SL__72
08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
I think the Plague/The Stand seems like an obvious first choice, except for the whole evil using it to try and take over earth scenario. The reason I like it is because in most of the other cases you are going to have to struggle to stay alive afterwards. It seems like in the scenario of The Stand you are pretty safe being that you are immune to it.

lucas9000
08-26-2005, 12:22 PM
it's been a long time since i read the stand, but didn't the main character jerk off on home plate at yankee stadium?

RunDownHouse
08-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Not the main character, but a character one of the main characters (Larry, I think - the singer) met in NYC.

swede123
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Even though I agree with the reasons several others have mentioned for going with the plague scenario I sometimes wish I would be transformed to a lawless, primitive society where you have to defend what is yours with force, like Waterworld or Mad Max. I tell you what, whenever technology allows either a virtual reality experience or realistic enough robots where you can live out these kinds of scenarios (like in Westworld) I'll be the first to buy a ticket.

Swede

TheMainEvent
08-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Excellent idea for a thread! I prefer the plague, myself.

TheMainEvent
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking plague, because that way all the technology and infrastructure is still there, just a lot fewer people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a utopian vision to me.

RunDownHouse
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes wish I would be transformed to a lawless, primitive society where you have to defend what is yours with force, like Waterworld or Mad Max.

[/ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt that, in a survival-of-the-fittest type environment, I would be surviving for very long.

lucas9000
08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a utopian vision to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. how long do you think that technology and infrastructure will last or be useful without people to maintain and run it? if it's like the stand, there likely won't be enough people or organization/skill among the survivors to haul coal and other fuels to power plants, keep the power plants in proper working order, maintain power lines, ship and transport gasoline, etc etc etc.

cadillac1234
08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes wish I would be transformed to a lawless, primitive society where you have to defend what is yours with force, like Waterworld or Mad Max.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would get really old really quickly....

I can't even catch the bastard who keeps stealing flower pots off our front porch.

lucas9000
08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even catch the bastard who keeps stealing flower pots off our front porch.

[/ QUOTE ]

but in that scenario, once you do catch him you could kill him, and eat his heart.

swede123
08-26-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just imagine if you were allowed to booby trap the flower pots so they would blow up in the face of the guy stealing them. Or if you were allowed to hide out in a flower bed with a shotgun, ready to blast the guy when you caught him, and sell his car or whatever valuables he had. See, lawlessness would rock.

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just imagine if you were allowed to booby trap the flower pots so they would blow up in the face of the guy stealing them. Or if you were allowed to hide out in a flower bed with a shotgun, ready to blast the guy when you caught him, and sell his car or whatever valuables he had. See, lawlessness would rock.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, you could just move to Somalia.

Alobar
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
any answer that isnt zombies, is totally incorrect

superleeds
08-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Zombies off course. Can someone tell me why in all the latest films the f*!#ers have aquired the ability to run fast?

Edited because I didn't like my original censored version of [censored]

CORed
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I voted for the post-nuclear-war scenario. But I was thinking ofA Canticle for Leowitz, a novel buy Walter M. Miller, rather than Mad Max. Post-nuclear-war stories were pretty common in Science fiction from the cold war era, but this novel is probably the best.

Derek in NYC
08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Note that women were a scarce commodity in Waterworld/Mad Max and in the Zombie scenario (28 Days Later), whereas the genders were more or less balanced in The Stand.

CCass
08-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I voted Natural Disaster, becuase I think I could survive that stuff better than the plague/radiation.

rusellmj
08-26-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zombies off course. Can someone tell me why in all the latest films the f*!#ers have aquired the ability to run fast?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scarier I suppose. As long as indoor plumbing is still available, I'm down with anything.

Luzion
08-27-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Edited because I didn't like my original censored version of [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, why dont they ever wear body armor so a stupid zombie cant randomly bite some flesh off their arm?

The plague seems to be the worst in terms of how many people died. In the Stand it seemed like only one person would survive for every ten thousand that died. But at least there wouldnt be nasty radiation to deal with or roaming aliens/cyborgs.

08-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Zombies. Read Monster Island/Monster Nation/Monster Planet (online serial novels).

snappo
08-27-2005, 02:20 AM
www.exitmundi.nl (http://www.exitmundi.nl)

x2ski
08-27-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even though I agree with the reasons several others have mentioned for going with the plague scenario I sometimes wish I would be transformed to a lawless, primitive society where you have to defend what is yours with force, like Waterworld or Mad Max. I tell you what, whenever technology allows either a virtual reality experience or realistic enough robots where you can live out these kinds of scenarios (like in Westworld) I'll be the first to buy a ticket.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Westworld is an awesome flick. Is that on DVD yet?

Yul Brynner's silver robot eyes would look awesome on DVD.

If any of you have not seen Westworld, this is a must.

Ps. The second one (I don't remember nor care what the name of it was), sucked my balzak.

Benholio
08-27-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Zombies. Read Monster Island/Monster Nation/Monster Planet (online serial novels).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, while we're bending the thread this way, anyone else want to recommend any post-apocalyptic books?

shaniac
08-27-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Westworld is an awesome flick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally. I just went to the IMDB page and was reminded that it was written and directed by Michael Crichton, which is kind of interesting.

The Simpsons' episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy World ("where nothing could possibl-I go wrong") is basically a Westworld sendup.