PDA

View Full Version : calling an all-in pre-flop with KK

08-26-2005, 10:50 AM
(I posted this to the micro-limit forum by mistake - my bad)

Last night I was faced with a situation that would be a standard play in an on-line tournament. I was dealt KK in middle position player .25/.50 on Absolute Poker.

I got 2 limpers, raised it to $2, two folds and the button went all-in for $80 (I had about $95).

So far the button seemed like an OK player, seeing a flop out of the blinds every two orbits or so. But, interestingly, we ran into each other twice in the last two orbits with me raising him out of a hand on the turn in the first meeting and him raising me off the flop in the second hand. I expect he viewed me as a tight/aggressive player and I viewed him similarly.

Given that I felt my image was TA, I was sure that he had a hand. But the question than bothered me was: given the action so far, why go all-in? This was a tight table and a $6 raise would surely isolate it, giving him a good money making hand. Going all-in was not the correct play here for AA, I thought.

I decided to call and he did indeed have AA. I was lucky to catch my set but the hand made me wonder if the all-in move with AA was a profitable move against a tight PFR.

Under the circumstances, would you have called this?
Would you consider making this move if you have a good
read on your opp.?

Shilly
08-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Huge Overbet = Bluff = Call.

08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Moving in with Aces like that often gets your opponent thinking "He would not play aces like that, would he"? It is hard to get away from KK in that spot. More than likely you are ahead. Personally, I would need to have a solid read on the villain to get away from it.

TheWorstPlayer
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm never getting away from this. I don't care that I have lost to this move 100 times before. I have also taken 100 stacks when they pull this move with garbage.

subzero
08-26-2005, 11:43 AM
If you're read is strong enough that you know he'd do this with QQ, KK, AA, AKs, and AKo, then you're a marginal favorite (see below). Call, unless your bankroll can't handle the variance. If you take QQ or AK out of his hand range, this is -EV and you should fold.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 57.1906 % 54.62% 02.57% { KdKs }
Hand 2: 42.8094 % 40.24% 02.57% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

Salerosa
08-26-2005, 11:49 AM
I only read the title but yes do it.

4_2_it
08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Sounds like this guy might be playing that new strategy of going all-in pre-flop with AA or KK. Calling less than 10bb raises with any pocket pair, Axs or AK and then going all in if your set/flush hits.

AllIn3High
08-26-2005, 12:04 PM
HOW CAN 2+2'ERS NOT RECOGNIZE THE MOVE OF HONOR WHEN THEY SEE IT?

This is btw a great spot to use your disconnect protection.

TheWorstPlayer
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome post.

08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so kindly inform a newbie about this move..

I like the disconnect play.

krazyace5
08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Seems everytime this happens when I have KK my opponent has AA, there has to be some value in folding these once in awhile.

UOPokerPlayer
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I believe that folding KK pf is a bad move. Calling and seeing a flop, folding to a rag flop, that's ok. But folding KK pf is a bad move.

08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Calling this push with KK is a peace of mind move for me. I am certain the first time I fold donk is going to show 72o or some such nonsense, and I will have nightmares for a month.

I also think it is profitable at ssnl. I think I see the combination of 99-QQ and AK significantly more than I see AA here. I actually had a guy pull this move with KQs a few weeks ago, where the action had been I raised preflop to $2 (KK), caller, caller, reraise $12(showed down AK), he pushed. Dumb sob just wanted to play his "good hand," I guess.