PDA

View Full Version : sucker straight draw on paired board

bigredlemon
08-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Anyone play this differently? Do you fold the flop? Turn?

jrz1972
08-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Tough hand. If I fold anywhere, it would be the flop. On the turn, you're getting a pretty big overlay to call the bet and an even bigger overlay to call the raise.

I would like to get another bet in on the river, so it is tempting to check-raise, but I would really not want to get 3-bet. Betting out and calling a raise is an option but then I just lose some potential overcalls if villain raises.

eniven
08-26-2005, 11:17 AM
I like the way you played it, except that I would have check raised the river. Getting 3 bet would suck, but villain it seems to me that villain may have flopped trips and was waiting for the turn to raise...

You may be beat, but alot of the time I think you'll be ahead.

Roadstar
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Anyone play this differently? Do you fold the flop? Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you played it fine, only street needs reviewing is the river. Lets think of the combos you lose to at the river:

JT, AK, TT, K9, J8, QJ, JJ, QQ, 88 (you already have an 8 though)

With no preflop raise, JJ, QQ, TT and AK unlikely

So you're behind JT, K9, J8 (thats a stretch from MP2), 88, QJ

and you're ahead of Jx (like AJ, KJ, J9), 97s. You're hoping he slow played one of these on the flop and popped the turn raise.

Chopping with Q9s.

Torn between check/call and bet/call

depending on your read on UTG+1 (can he fold rivers? you're hoping he provides an overcall here), check call is fine since MP2 is extremely likely to bet any of the possible hands listed above.

Thoughts?

deception5
08-26-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're behind JT, K9, J8 (thats a stretch from MP2), 88, QJ

and you're ahead of Jx (like AJ, KJ, J9), 97s. You're hoping he slow played one of these on the flop and popped the turn raise.

Chopping with Q9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually chopping with J9 and 97s also.

Seems reasonable, so here's the breakdown:

Behind: 29 combinations with K9o and J8o being less likely (13 combinations of those) so maybe 23 combinations on average.
JT - 6 combinations
K9 - 3 suited combinations, 9 offsuit combinations
J8 - 4 offsuit combinations
88 - 1 combination
QJ - 6 combinations

Ahead: 16 combinations
AJ - 8 combinations
KJ - 8 combinations

12 combinations - with 8 being less likely(J9/97s) maybe 8 on average.
Q9s - 3 combinations
J9 - 6 combinations (1 suited)
97s - 3 combinations

So I think I would just check/call the river rather than c/r. The problem it seems like is that most of the hands that are ahead (any full house) will 3-bet and you can't fold to a 3-bet as it might be a hand you split with. And UTG+1 will likely fold for 2 more bets.

J. Stew
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Two outs are dirty, we're not closing the action, we could be drawing dead, it's a close call in terms of pot odds . . . fold the flop because it's a pretty coordinated board and we're facing a bet with players still to act.

Eeegah
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Icky, but I think I fold this flop. It's not just the sucker end of a straight, it's a high straight, so the odds are much greater that you can make your straight and still lose. The 2-flush on board doesn't make me happy about my club outs either.