PDA

View Full Version : $25 NL, big draw with position. I still messed up.

restless
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Villain was IMO a solid player.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($50.15)
BB ($10.40)
UTG ($49.45)
MP ($23.95)
Hero ($17.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.75, MP calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4.25) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $2.

Turn: ($12.25) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12.15</font>, SB calls $7.15.

River: ($36.55) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $36.55

Do you guys agree on my self-analysis here:

preflop: ok
flop: IF i should raise, its too small. BUT, SB probably realises that I don't have the goods now. if I had the straigth i'm likely to let him bet again on the turn right? Doesn't this make it too easy for SB to put me on a draw?

turn: my raise is too small for him to fold now? better just call the bet hoping to hit on the river.

IF I had smooth called the flop I could have reraised big on a safe card right?

So, all in all: 2 bad semi-bluffs that cost me a lot when I could've drawn cheaper.

Your opinion please.

AllIn3High
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

preflop: ok

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, closing the action getting pretty good odds w/ suited broadway in position.

[ QUOTE ]

flop: IF i should raise, its too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far too small you want him to fold right here. Unless he's missed completely he isn't folding to a min-raise (and probably not anyway). Raise the pot (to around $8-9) and call a push.

[ QUOTE ]

BUT, SB probably realises that I don't have the goods now. if I had the straigth i'm likely to let him bet again on the turn right? Doesn't this make it too easy for SB to put me on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

The people who can correctly put you on a semi-bluff are FAR between at SSNL. If he "realizes" that you're on semi-bluff here you need to start raising your legitimate hands. If you held J/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif you should be raising for value and to protect against the draws out there.

[ QUOTE ]

turn: my raise is too small for him to fold now? better just call the bet hoping to hit on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again here your raise accomplishes nothing except bloat the pot when you aren't a favorite anymore against his KK/AA. Just call and hope to hit on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

IF I had smooth called the flop I could have reraised big on a safe card right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Safe card? WTF? You're the one looking to hit something, not him. Smooth-calling the flop getting good odds is also a possibility, but be prepared to fold the turn if you aren't getting proper odds to continue chasing.

If you're going to semi-bluff make a proper raise and only against people you know are capable of folding.

So, all in all: 2 bad semi-bluffs that cost me a lot when I could've drawn cheaper.

Your opinion please.

[/ QUOTE ]

restless
08-26-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Safe card? WTF? You're the one looking to hit something, not him. Smooth-calling the flop getting good odds is also a possibility, but be prepared to fold the turn if you aren't getting proper odds to continue chasing.

If you're going to semi-bluff make a proper raise and only against people you know are capable of folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, my mistake, "safe card" is probably not the word ... What I meant was that if he's on a big pair or AK (as he probably is) a "safe card" would be any non-face card.

I def. think this guy could lay down an overpair on the turn if the board got even uglier than it already was on the flop, IF I hadn't bloated the pot already.

thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.