PDA

View Full Version : Cutoff concern... knock them out or keep them in?

RockLobster
04-09-2003, 03:03 PM
I just read a post that made me question some of my thoughts. Here's the situation:

Passive LL game, 4 limpers to you in the cutoff. A raise here could be for 3 reasons (OK, there could be more reasons, but let's stick with these 3 for the purpose of my question):
1. You want more money in the pot.
2. You want to drive out some of your opponents (likely only the button and possibly the blinds).
3. Both 1 & 2, above.

I think that AA & KK fit into strategy number 3. I also think that QQ, JJ, and TT fit into strategy number 2. What sort of hands would fit into strategy number 1?

I can see many hands worth limping with in this situation, but I guess that's not part of this question. I'm trying to better understand WHY one raises in certain situations.

Thanks for any help.

taiga
04-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Maybe high suited connectors? QJs KQs AKs?

So you could possibly buy the button, hopefully make a high pair or 2, and maybe hit a straight or flush in the process while the pot builds?

Someone correct me if I'm totally off. Thanks.

Bubmack
04-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Sometimes drawing hands. I know its not always recommended, but I have seen it as a variation play to raise Axs against a large field to possibly get 4th street free and build the pot to keep people in when your hand hits.

I wouldn't do it personally - but I have seen it on the table and in print.

It would also be a good idea to raise when it is likely that you have some of the limpers dominated. Or just anytime you are the favorite.

Bubs

Bob T.
04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
I think that a lot of hands play better if you have the button. When I am playing online, I probably raise very frequently from the cutoff if I am going to play, just to make it more likely that I will have the button. When I am playing live, the one thing I always look for, is whether or not I can tell that the player after me is going to play. If he is not going to play, I will limp alot more frequently, because I don't need to buy the button. If He looks like he might play, then I might raise with the same hand that I limped on last lap. Some players don't make any distinction between a hand that they can play for a bet, and a hand that is playable for two bets. If my opponent is like that, then I am more likely to limp, and wait for the flop.

Hands that I might raise on, include pocket pairs, big and medium suited connectors, and big unsuited cards. The raise frequently gets your opponents reacting to you, so they are easier to read, and control.

bernie
04-09-2003, 07:31 PM
this also depends on the likelihood of the players behind you calling. if they do cold call too much, high suited connectors are one example. or you could just limp with em.

1 reason, of many, is to raise to tie players to the pot should you hit your hand. although, it helps to keep track of players who will chase anyways. no need to raise them. except youll be raising many hands in this spot.

buying the button, for me, can be more important at times than folding the blinds. i usually figure the BB is coming anyway for 1 raise.

another reason is to not telegraph when you have a great starting hand by using 'position' raises. many will raise with only the same hands regardless of position. how easy are they to play against?

youd be suprised at the looks some give you, thinking your nuts raising a perfectly legit preflop raise hand from the CO. this helps a little get action on youre better hands later on at times.

b

TobDog
04-10-2003, 01:00 AM
With 4 limpers, you can anticipate tham at least calling, you can raise with small and medium pairs, suited connentors, AK down to T9 at least, maybe even some suites big one gappers, KJs QTs, maybe J9s, nothing too crazy, if you hit your hand, there is already some volume to entice your opponents who may be drawing dead or close to it to chase. Flop a set, and you already have a pot. If you miss, and you were able to fold the button, you can take your free card and see the turn, again with a pretty large pot for some good draws. Unfortunately, the down side(my opinion of course, so don't take this one to the bank) is when you raise and build a pot, you have a harder time prying the group away from it, bluffing through 4-5 opponents in a limit game with a big pot is hard if not almost impossible, so when you do miss, you do need to plan your strategy correctly, and you will miss more often than you connect on the flop.

TobDog