PDA

View Full Version : A helpful mechanism?

Poldi
08-26-2005, 07:23 AM
When you are on a bad run, you usually analyze your play more, post more hands, maybe reread a book, drop a table. Basically you try harder to find leaks in your game and this stuff also helps rebuild some confidence.

When you are on a good run, you usually try to play more hands. Maybe add a table or even move up a limit. This makes sense as you may be playing better due to your confidence.

So my question is:
Should a player do exactly the same no matter if he is running good or bad or does it make sense to act different like that?

Poldi
08-27-2005, 06:39 AM
I think everybody knows what I am talking about as it seems natural to act that way. Yet noone has an answer to it?

Benholio
08-27-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you are on a bad run, you usually analyze your play more, post more hands, maybe reread a book, drop a table. Basically you try harder to find leaks in your game and this stuff also helps rebuild some confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is good to do this when you are losing, but also when you are winning. If losing always triggered this for you (and not winning), it would still be better than never going through these steps at all.

[ QUOTE ]

When you are on a good run, you usually try to play more hands. Maybe add a table or even move up a limit. This makes sense as you may be playing better due to your confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be different than others, but I definitely don't add tables or play higher when I'm running well. If anything, it might make sense to play longer when you are running well, since you tend to be in better psychological shape and/or the game conditions are good. I don't see a problem with this.

[ QUOTE ]

So my question is:
Should a player do exactly the same no matter if he is running good or bad or does it make sense to act different like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ideally, we would be able to conduct ourselves the same while winning or losing. Realistically, until you can get to this level psychologically, I think it is fine to do -some- things differently when losing/winning. These things being taking breaks/adjusting sessions lengths, change of scenery, extra time studying hands, etc.