PDA

View Full Version : over playing AK

mudbuddha
08-26-2005, 04:01 AM
lately, i have been palying AK, i guess too aggressively, i make it a priority to isolate 1 player so that my AKo or AKs have a better chance, however, i think i am over playing this and making raises that are too large.. i guess.
(assume that i position.. i try not to be too invested when i have bad position)

is my thinking wrong on playing AK??

whittiphil
08-26-2005, 04:10 AM
I'll try and help you out here.

You probably do overplay AK, I do too. One thing I've just started realising is that I cont bet AK, then sometimes *call* minraises!! That is so dumb because I am probably drawing dead... If he calls the flop (instead of raising).. DO NOT fire the second barrel without the stellar read, it doesn't work often enough - he is as married to the money in the pot as you are and will call down with 2nd pair.

Also, don't fall in love just because it's suited.

[ QUOTE ]
lately, i have been palying AK, i guess too aggressively, i make it a priority to isolate 1 player so that my AKo or AKs have a better chance, however, i think i am over playing this and making raises that are too large.. i guess.
(assume that i position.. i try not to be too invested when i have bad position)

[/ QUOTE ]

mudbuddha
08-26-2005, 04:18 AM
yeah i rarely.. rarely continue bet on the turn still unless the guy folds to it in his stats

i think i call min riases tho.. bc im "commited" haha damn those artifiical pot odds.

fuzzbox
08-26-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll try and help you out here.

You probably do overplay AK, I do too. One thing I've just started realising is that I cont bet AK, then sometimes *call* minraises!! That is so dumb because I am probably drawing dead... If he calls the flop (instead of raising).. DO NOT fire the second barrel without the stellar read, it doesn't work often enough - he is as married to the money in the pot as you are and will call down with 2nd pair.

Also, don't fall in love just because it's suited.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain will continue to call down with 2nd pair because he is married to the pot, then we should continue to bet our top pair.

fuzzbox
08-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Dont always raise AK to isolate one player, because you tend to isolate a guy with a pair, and he is favourite, and he wins more than you on an A-flop or a K-flop, because he can fold all but a set there.

If guys fold AQ and worse to a raise, then consider just limping in with AK, then maybe reraising an LP raiser or trapping an AQ/AJ type hand on an A-flop.

Not all the time mind you but sometimes.

Allinlife
08-26-2005, 04:47 AM
post hands.

whittiphil
08-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Yes... but I'm talking about Continuation bets... where you have two overcards and that is it.

maybedinero
08-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Tell me about it. Had a nightmare with AK a couple of days ago--twice caught a pair on the flop and pushed, twice an opponent had flopped a set.