PDA

View Full Version : Has college really changed that much?

Irieguy
08-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Fiery's most recent installment of "I'm going to quit (fill in the blank) and play poker," got me thinking about this topic again. I've never understood it.

I went to college. Here's what I did:

-Wake up and take some drugs to kill the hangover
-Think "oh [censored], I missed religion." (I went to a private religious school, Pepperdine, so I had to take 4 semesters of religion. It sucked.)
-Smoke a bowl.
-Go to the beach and have lunch.
-Go to class for a bit
-Go to the quad and try to pick up chicks
-Go home and smoke a bowl
-Go to the gym and play volleyball
-Go home and drink 982372923402 beers
-Go to some sporting event or a party or a bar
-pass out

During this rigorous time in my life, several thoughts went through my mind:

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

But not once. Not ever. Not for one second during my four years did it ever occur to me that I should quit.

All of my friends who went to UCLA, UCSD, USC, Stanford, and Berkley all had pretty much the same experience except that it took 5 and 1/2 years instead of 4.

WTF!? Has college really changed that much in the past 15 years?

Some of you kids are nuts.

Irieguy

PS- You can carry 20 units and play 800 SNGs a month while drinking every single night and sleeping till noon. Easily.

AtticusFinch
08-26-2005, 03:33 AM
20 units of what? Not engineering, I'll tell you that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif And your tolerance was WAY better than mine. I only drank like 37 beers a night. Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones. Damn, why didn't I drop out? If only I'd started playing poker sooner...

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 03:35 AM
OSU>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pepperdine. I went for ~5 years, got about a year and a half away from an engineering degree (5 year program plus the many classes i had to retake = 7 years for me), realized that i didnt want to be an engineer, quit, started waiting tables, saw that over 1/2 of my coworkers had degrees, and realized that primary degree doesnt mean squat anymore. I'm 25, I want to get into real estate, I may or may not finish up when I move to the west coast.

ps. If given the choice between being a world class poker player, and being able to relive my 5 years in school, I'd choose the latter in a second.

chisness
going for 1300 a month but never will touch a drink (cant even stand pop)

Matador225
Depends where you go to school. I suppose you can get by doing the bare minimum anywhere though.

Slim Pickens
08-26-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget the pseudo-feminists. Pseudo-feminists hate men and sometimes attack with their picket signs. Real feminists love men. See, I learned something in college.

People need to accept that with a very few exceptions, most of us lead easy, cushy lives, college or not.

roma12
08-26-2005, 04:00 AM
College has not changed. I am going into my senior year and im thinking about failing on purpose to stay longer.

I think the case for Fiery, and really no offense to him, is that he is probably the one you didnt see at parties, drinking, fking girls, etc. Without that money chit college kinda blows

Newt_Buggs
08-26-2005, 04:05 AM
UCSD is now famous for being a socially dead campus overflowing with engineering and computer science majors who dedicate their life to making your life hell in any class with a curve. Majoring in Economics lets me avoid a lot of this though /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Slim Pickens
08-26-2005, 04:07 AM
No money just makes it that much more fun. There's fun to be had on a college campus other than lame-ass social events. Most people suck anyway, but the sheer volume on a campus makes it damn hard not to find a few people worth your time. In conclusion, get a life, don't buy one, jerk.

SlimP

lacky
08-26-2005, 04:18 AM
that would have been a nice experience, mine was working 25 to 40 hours a week at a "good" job making about 3 times minimum wage, with a wife I didnt much care for and a kid I would gladly die for. I finished because I was stuborn. I always saw myself as a collage grad, so i finished.

I didnt even read the "make me stay in collage" thread. WTF do I care. I aint his dad. My opinion has always been, do whatever the hell ya want. The collages have been there for 100+ years. They aint going anywhere. As long as your not a complete idiot with the money you make, if your more interested in playing poker, play. When your sick of it (A point most people less simple minded than myself reach pretty quick) go back to school. Nobody really cares. Well, I'm sure parents do, but I don't.

Steve

(ps been drinking some, sorry if im making an ass of myself, but thats life)

Myst
08-26-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that would have been a nice experience, mine was working 25 to 40 hours a week at a "good" job making about 3 times minimum wage, with a wife I didnt much care for and a kid I would gladly die for. I finished because I was stuborn. I always saw myself as a collage grad, so i finished.

I didnt even read the "make me stay in collage" thread. WTF do I care. I aint his dad. My opinion has always been, do whatever the hell ya want. The collages have been there for 100+ years. They aint going anywhere. As long as your not a complete idiot with the money you make, if your more interested in playing poker, play. When your sick of it (A point most people less simple minded than myself reach pretty quick) go back to school. Nobody really cares. Well, I'm sure parents do, but I don't.

Steve

(ps been drinking some, sorry if im making an ass of myself, but thats life)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats a REAL MAN'S way to live.

roma12
08-26-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No money just makes it that much more fun. There's fun to be had on a college campus other than lame-ass social events. Most people suck anyway, but the sheer volume on a campus makes it damn hard not to find a few people worth your time. In conclusion, get a life, don't buy one, jerk.

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester. Whats yours consist of?

Just because you probably never experienced such bliss, theres no need to get bitter.

FieryJustice
08-26-2005, 04:29 AM
I suppose I wil tell you all my story about college. When I started, I knocked out the basic classes in about a year. I would still hang out with my high school friends at night and go to their parties. The problem with the parties is that I really dont like to drink. It might just be from 2 bad experiences...the first where i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch and the second when i passed out in the woods at some random ass college in Atlanta. So, I dont drink and I dont do drugs. Maybe I should...my life just might be a lot nicer.

So, since I dont drink and do drugs, there really isnt a whole lot for me to do at the parties, as that is all the kids do. I have tried going there and not drinking, but i feel like a total idiot, so I just dont go.

Last semester, I almost dropped out but I was pretty cool with the only 3 hot girls that just happened to be in all my classes, so I stayed in and got them to do all my work for me. It was nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif This semester, everoyne in all my classes is either really ugly or really weird...and to top if off, there was only one hot girl in one of my four classes. I guess hot women motivate me.

That all being said, I have no desire to learn some random ass [censored] about subjects I dont care about at all. I am pretty sure if I was studying something I actually was passionate about, I wouldnt have a problem. They should have classes on poker in college. Perhaps I will try again next semester with some econ classes. I dont know. I might just sit around and make a shitload of money playing poker. If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.

Scuba Chuck
08-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Besides, can't you still buy the TA's notes? You don't even have to go to friggin class! And their notes were far better than mine....

AtticusFinch
08-26-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think all you get out of an education is a job, you're mistaken.
I still think you're just in the wrong major. Take some statistics, or physics. More math will help your Poker game, so you'll be getting something out of it even if you become the next Phil Ivey.

But I'm through arguing this point. Go ahead and drop out, and let someone who appreciates it take over. But you'll regret it. I promise.

roma12
08-26-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I have major problems with. Once I reach the 15 beer marker, then down she goes with no return. Yet I never learn to drink less, i dunno, i am dumb.

Anyway, try drinking again. I know alot of kids like you that don't drink as well, they are cool, but i just dont understand them. Have a beer...wherever. Playing poker, watching tv, anything. I am not saying alchohol is the solution in life, but at our age, it plays a big part in the social agenda.

As to your original post, i feel like you want to drop out of school more than you want to play poker professionally- Meaning you want to play poker just because you hate your college.

cunningham22
08-26-2005, 05:32 AM
Here's a thought...

I just went through the whole application process 2 years ago, and it seems that there has been an increase in the number of kids going to college in the last 10 years. It may be an illusion, or just incorrect, but if so, the trend could be a result of kids going who just don't belong. College is a great time, but not everyone can handle it, and there is also the pipe dream of pro poker, made more illustrious by the poker "boom." I know so many fish who have had great weeks on PP and it can be deceiving - especially to themselves.

Whatever, I love college, can't wait to go back. It's such a dream - real life in a bubble. Can't see an easier way to live. Provided you are lucky enough to do it, I might add.

Brian

fluorescenthippo
08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the parties is that I really dont like to drink. It might just be from 2 bad experiences...the first where i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch and the second when i passed out in the woods at some random ass college in Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

DarthIgnurnt
08-26-2005, 07:44 AM
I was wondering the same as I plodded through that thread the other day ... but my initial reaction is still my reaction.

College for ... http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/iriemarley.gif = sleep, weed, girls, and beer.

College for ... http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/Jcardshark/fieryjustice.jpg = lots of time in a dorm room on a computer

For completeness, college for ... http://www.geocities.com/chucknorris47/pants.jpg = beer, girls, and waking up in dumpsters (in precisely that order)

College has two primary benefits:

1) The educational one, which can mean many things to you depending on where you are in life. For me, a degree from an Ivy League school put the right words on a resume so I could get a well-paying job I hate. I learned little/nothing ... but that's just me.

2) The social one, which is different for everyone (see discussion above).

So if neither of these are part of your college experience, then quit.

Wevie
08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[/quote

OMG, thats almost identical to my college experience except I let the b!tch and the job bring me down enough to quit. I've regretted it ever since even though I have managed to find a good paying career that I love.

fnord_too
08-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Hell, I love college so much I am going back for a PhD sometime in the next few years. Basically, the only time off I took was when I was on accademic suspension thanks to a freshman year of not going to classes that were too boring. (Actually had two stints out due to that, I think I had a 1.0 my freshman year or something like that and when I went back the first time failed to pull my grades up enough. Sometime in there I grew up just enough to not [censored] up something as easy and fun as school.)

fnord_too
08-26-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
20 units of what? Not engineering, I'll tell you that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif And your tolerance was WAY better than mine. I only drank like 37 beers a night. Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones. Damn, why didn't I drop out? If only I'd started playing poker sooner...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your tolerance is pretty damn good if you thought the girls at Berkeley were ugly after 37 beers....

skipperbob
08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fiery's most recent installment of "I'm going to quit (fill in the blank) and play poker," got me thinking about this topic again. I've never understood it.

-Think "oh [censored], I missed religion." (I went to a private religious school, Pepperdine, so I had to take 4 semesters of religion. It sucked.)
-Smoke a bowl.
-Go to class for a bit
-pass out

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

But not once. Not ever. Not for one second during my four years did it ever occur to me that I should quit.

All of my friends who went to UCLA, UCSD, USC, Stanford, and Berkley all had pretty much the same experience except that it took 5 and 1/2 years instead of 4.

Irieguy

PS- You can carry 20 units and play 800 SNGs a month while drinking every single night and sleeping till noon. Easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee: If I'da known it was that tough I wouldn't have been such a whiner about how much it was costing me /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Moonsugar
08-26-2005, 09:38 AM
You got so many problems you DEFINATELY do not need to add alchohol and drugs on top of them.

My college experience was similar to Irie's but I took the partying way way overboard and eventually dropped out.

Now at 36 and having lucked into a successful career that I am retiring from one of my biggest regrets is not getting my degree. Like someone said in your thread, the mere act of sticking with something that is tough, you sometimes don't like and finishing it will really do wonders for your character and will pay huge dividends later on.

Hope you find your way.

fnord_too
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Oh just you hush, the parents' perspective is unimportant for another, um, 15 years (unless the bambinas are prodigies and go to college early).

Slim Pickens
08-26-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester. Whats yours consist of?

Just because you probably never experienced such bliss, theres no need to get bitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point. I'm saying there's more to life than just bitches and beer. If you don't realize that, you'll be one of those 35-year-old half bald guys who still shows up at frat parties, only to pass out drunk in the corner at 8pm after getting shut down by all the fat chicks at the party.

My life consists of getting my PhD from Berkeley while living in Las Vegas, playing poker with my girlfriend, 3/6 at the Wynn, grinding the 33's into submission, and drinking beer in my pool. I'm happy enough.

SlimP

jedi
08-26-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UCSD is now famous for being a socially dead campus overflowing with engineering and computer science majors who dedicate their life to making your life hell in any class with a curve. Majoring in Economics lets me avoid a lot of this though /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was me. I minored in economics so that was a welcome break when I needed it. Wait around til the first week of Spring. I swear they bring hot high school seniors in short sundresses to campus because I saw those girls that week and never again.

08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester.

[/ QUOTE ]So, how does posting on 2+2 rank amongst those other activities you list? If the others are so good and so easy, what are you doing wasting your time on this thread?

Apathy
08-26-2005, 01:23 PM
This is also my college experience but now I am getting the best of both worlds:

I am not going back to school, but I am still living in the same house I did last year, all with good frends of mine who are still in school.

This way I have lots of time for guilt free poker (since I'm not missing any classes etc.) I can travel if I want, and I can still party hard and not miss too many college "extra curriculers(sp?)"

pooh74
08-26-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is also my college experience but now I am getting the best of both worlds:

I am not going back to school, but I am still living in the same house I did last year, all with good frends of mine who are still in school.

This way I have lots of time for guilt free poker (since I'm not missing any classes etc.) I can travel if I want, and I can still party hard and not miss too many college "extra curriculers(sp?)"

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that how they teach you to spell up there in Canadia?

Seth Money
08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
I've been out of school now for 6 months and I will be the first to say that I miss the hell out of it. Yeah classes suck in general but I enjoyed them, because as much as they were bad they really gave me a lot of knowledge about things that I didn't know about, they taught me discipline, and I was rewarded for all the time I spent working my ass off meeting deadlines and projects. I wouldn't exchange that time for anything in the world.

That being said, I think Fiery is making a mistake by not going back but that is his decision and we all learn from them......

On the flip side, if someone told me that they could make 2 million a year guranteed, a nice jump shot, and get out of the projects do you honestly think I would tell them to go to school now? Hell no. You only have so many opportunities in life but the last I checked most of you aren't ballers and don't have a guranteed 2 million per year.

For all those college guys looking at this, work your ass off and you will be rewarded. Hell I was a partier on the weekend but I still had time to get my 18 credits in a semester, play a collegiate sport in both seasons, have a girlfriend, and play poker 32+ hours a week. And this all comes down to one thing.... building character. I feel like i have grown so much over the past 5 years (bachelors + grad school), I am not sure if you can get that just playing cards and nothing else. Just my two cents.

Most missed college stuff--- The beautiful babies
Most not missed---- 2am calls to Chubbys Pizza

Myst
08-26-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, a degree from an Ivy League school put the right words on a resume so I could get a well-paying job I hate. I learned little/nothing ... but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont be such a damn tool. You make your educational experience. You make your job. You make your life.

citanul
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think all you get out of an education is a job, you're mistaken.
I still think you're just in the wrong major. Take some statistics, or physics. More math will help your Poker game, so you'll be getting something out of it even if you become the next Phil Ivey.

But I'm through arguing this point. Go ahead and drop out, and let someone who appreciates it take over. But you'll regret it. I promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) Yes, for instance, going to college for a lot of people is all about growing up, and learning not to be some sort of lame-assed, only caring about money, short attention span having, dolt.

b) it just can't be that the only thing you find interesting in the world is poker. can't be. if it is, you're in for a really sad life, and i am sad for you. "my classes don't interest me" is in general not a reason to drop out of school, but rather to change classes. there are some people who just aren't in to the whole education thing, nor the growing up thing, and for them, college isn't that great.

and c) if you're going to certain classes because you need to see hot girls there, see (a) and grow the [censored] up.

citanul

Rduke55
08-26-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Smoke a bowl.
-Go to class for a bit
-pass out

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post 100%. I went to undergrad, didn't want it to end. Then took two years off and got a job, then I went to grad school, didn't want that to end. Now I'm pissed that there's no more school.
I really can't understand why anyone would ever leave college.
And I love the "sitting in these lame classes listening to crap that doesn't matter and no one needs to know" view a lot of people have. C'mon people, you sound like the motorheads at my H.S. complaining about algebra and dropping out so they can "make some real money"

Scuba Chuck
08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
C'mon people, you sound like the motorheads at my H.S. complaining about algebra and dropping out so they can "make some real money"

[/ QUOTE ]

If that doesn't get you, you're a rock.

The Yugoslavian
08-26-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a) Yes, for instance, going to college for a lot of people is all about growing up, and learning not to be some sort of lame-assed, only caring about money, short attention span having, dolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, stop being bitter b/c you're 85 and have to grind poker to buy your diapers...

[ QUOTE ]

b) it just can't be that the only thing you find interesting in the world is poker. can't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obviously never met Gigabet, /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

and c) if you're going to certain classes because you need to see hot girls there, see (a) and grow the [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't hurt though, does it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although I didn't have many classes with cute chicks b/c my college was rigged....the first cute chick in one of my classes I saw I went out with for 4 1/2 years, /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Anyway...college was pretty much the nuts. Greke will back me up here, he liked it so damn much he keeps going back and gettin' jobs there (loser! - ok...I admit it, I'm jealous /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Yugoslav

Scuba Chuck
08-26-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Greke will back me up here

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you just throw softballs out there....

08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I said basically the same thing in the original post of fiery's, that college can be as easy as you want it to be, but some people do not think like that. In fact, I would say college is even easier now if you go to a good school because the grades are so ridiculously inflated so as not to hurt little pussies feelings. Teachers at great universities think that giving a student a B is the same as giving them an F at good schools, because the majority of the kids are huge nerds (no offense). Which gives you all the more reason to coast. I am a fulltime student, have a nite and day job, go out about 5 times a week, and still have a ton of free time. It can work out easily. At least if you want it too. If not, then do what you want.

Oluwafemi
08-26-2005, 02:24 PM
had internet poker existed when i was going to Florida A & M University (FAMU), i would've never went. all i did was waste time and not graduate. having alot more time to progress to the $215s, i guarantee you i would be a multi-millionaire by now.

benfranklin
08-26-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Life sucks" has always been a minor theme of the college experience. Based on my own out-of-touch observations of the current younger generation, it has escalated to a major theme.

When I was that age, we managed to survive without going through a Quarter-Life Crisis, or having support groups help us through it (here). (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/)

We just drank a lot and listened to rock and roll. The pop music I hear today all seems to be whiny. It is apparently very trendy to be miserable and depressed.

By coincidence, in today's local paper the pop music critic reviewed the music acts at the State Fair. Some quotes:

[ QUOTE ]
...biggest hits fall into two catgories: gloomy ballads and miserable rockers. And most of them appear to concern addiction, kicking an addiction, feeling depressed and feeling really depressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...as their parents strolled the Midway eating fried food on a stick...thousands of young people spent the first night of the Fair celebrating misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

If feeling miserable makes them happy, fine. To those of you considering dropping out, I noticed the following article when looking up that website: THE 5 HIDDEN BENEFITS OF MOVING HOME (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/life/life_resources.shtml)

Rduke55
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Funny article. I especially liked this part:
"I knew one girl who squanders about four hours every day either on the phone or meeting with friends."

Boy, I sure hate wasting time with those losers that are my friends when I could be doing more important things like working on my career. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

raptor517
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had internet poker existed when i was going to Florida A & M University (FAMU), i would've never went. all i did was waste time and not graduate. having alot more time to progress to the $215s, i guarantee you i would be a multi-millionaire by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty strong guarantee.. 215s arent THAT good. holla

Bluff Daddy
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
you can play poker on your laptop in class now /images/graemlins/cool.gif

raptor517
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can play poker on your laptop in class now /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yea about that.. i was about .00000001 seconds away from buying the smallest laptop i could find that would do a high resolution and blowing another 2k on it so i could play in class. luckily, i remembered why i was coming back, and what that would do to my goals i bought the laptop. glad the one i have is a gigantic portable pc. holla

Bluff Daddy
08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
ha, I would just fall asleep in class otherwise

locutus2002
08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Don't even put Pepperdine in the same class as the other schools you have listed.

If you went to Pepperdine, then your parents are rich and you're not too bright and lazy.

Gramps
08-26-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Berkeley in the early 90s during the height of PC, etc. where chicks went out of their way to not look any better (yes I'm bitter - why I didn't go to UCSB, I do not know).

Oh well, at least they're a lot better looking there now:

(a) They look better;
(b) I keep getting older, they keep staying the same age...

KingMedicine
08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget the pseudo-feminists. Pseudo-feminists hate men and sometimes attack with their picket signs. Real feminists love men. See, I learned something in college.

People need to accept that with a very few exceptions, most of us lead easy, cushy lives, college or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. berkeley's not that bad. you just need to use your imagination now and then.

Kanchi
08-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Which portable one did you get? I've only found ones to big I wouldn't want to carry to school.

University is real fun, I can't wait until school starts because it's boring as [censored] here.

I wouldn't quit school but I really would like to take a semester or so off and spend it travelling.

Apathy
08-26-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(b) I keep getting older, they keep staying the same age...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna play some foosball man?

raptor517
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't even put Pepperdine in the same class as the other schools you have listed.

If you went to Pepperdine, then your parents are rich and you're not too bright and lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i could go to pepperdine for free. my parents arent rich. im pretty bright. but i am lazy. yer 1/3. holla

iMsoLucky0
08-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I got married this last summer and have been with the same girl for several years so thus I wasn't able to go out partying like most college kids :-/ Does this make it okay for me to hate school and quit?

SuitedSixes
08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got married this last summer and have been with the same girl for several years so thus I wasn't able to go out partying like most college kids :-/ Does this make it okay for me to hate school and quit?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in a few years it will make you want to invent a time machine, travel back to several years ago and kick your own ass.

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in a few years it will make you want to invent a time machine, travel back to several years ago and kick your own ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTY

iMsoLucky0
08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
For getting married at such a young age or for not pursuing a useless degree?

And yes, I know that college is more than just a degree, but honestly I feel I am very well developed in these other areas than most people my age.

raptor517
08-26-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And yes, I know that college is more than just a degree, but honestly I feel I am very well developed in these other areas than most people my age.

[/ QUOTE ]

jordan you know i respect you, and im very happy for you and yer wife.. thought that kills me to say wife, as i look at you as my age. wife. god. me? married? hahahahhaa. yea, i wish the best for ya.. and hope you are happy with yer decision in the future.. in the mean time im gonna be attempting to enjoy this lil college thing. i spoil myself, so that helps. holla

Myst
08-26-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO. PARTYING AND GETTING DRUNK IS LIFE. ITS THE ONLY WAY TO LIIIIIIIVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE.

locutus2002
08-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Pepperdine costs $15,385 per semester in Fall 2005. Housing without meals is another $4,700 per semester, working out to $40,000 per year without food.

Most 18 year olds are unlikely to afford this without substantial financial help/support.

Sponger15SB
08-26-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Smoke a bowl.
-pass out

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone pointed out yet that you don't need to be enrolled in college and taking classes to do any of these things.

Degen
08-26-2005, 07:54 PM
I graduated in 04 and my experience was nearly identical to Irie's.

raptor517
08-26-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Smoke a bowl.
-pass out

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone pointed out yet that you don't need to be enrolled in college and taking classes to do any of these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure thats the point hes trying to make.. might as well have the degree to go along with all the leisure time. holla

Bluff Daddy
08-26-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Smoke a bowl.
-pass out

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if your parents will foot the bill then I think you do

Degen
08-26-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for not doing all of the things that are part of 'college'...i really beleive (as I think many on this forum do evidently) that all of that is a normal part of growth and becoming a fully well adjusted adult

you may or may not be fully pot committed now, but i think serious relationships under 21 are -EV

edit: o and 'useless degree' is the most rediculous term i have ever heard....college is not job training, i may very well never need my degree for anything i ever do in my life...but there is no way i would be who i am today, or who i will be in the future, without learning the things that i did, meeting the people i met and having the experiences that i had for those fabulous six years (hehe)

iMsoLucky0
08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for not doing all of the things that are part of 'college'...i really beleive (as I think many on this forum do evidently) that all of that is a normal part of growth and becoming a fully well adjusted adult

you may or may not be fully pot committed now, but i think serious relationships under 21 are -EV

edit: o and 'useless degree' is the most rediculous term i have ever heard....college is not job training, i may very well never need my degree for anything i ever do in my life...but there is no way i would be who i am today, or who i will be in the future, without learning the things that i did, meeting the people i met and having the experiences that i had for those fabulous six years (hehe)

[/ QUOTE ]

I expereinced all of those things for my first 3 years of school, and I simply have no motivation to finish the last year.

My relationship is not -EV, trust me.

I said that I realize that there is more to the college experience than just a degree, but for me, at this point all college is is just a degree. I lived in the dorms for a year, I lived in a fraternity house for a year, and now I am married. I feel I have completed a sufficient college experience to become a well-adjusted adult.

The degree would be uselss for me, though, because even withotu poker I would not be using it for anything. I have gotten everything I need from college, so now I am done with it.

Slim Pickens
08-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Am I the only one who got the same pleasure out of pwning all the jerks who were playing the game of college as I do out of pwning people at the game of poker?

Isura
08-27-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who got the same pleasure out of pwning all the jerks who were playing the game of college as I do out of pwning people at the game of poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you are talking about.
But I worked pretty hard and got straight A's if that's what you mean. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

lacky
08-27-2005, 01:17 AM
just change it to:

"I have gotten everything I need from college, so for now I am done with it.

nobody knows what the future brings, and your credits will still be there, so keep the option open in your mind for later.

Steve

Sponger15SB
08-27-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if your parents will foot the bill then I think you do

[/ QUOTE ]

Wellllll lucky for me my parents don't. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AH [censored] ME!

Slim Pickens
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I worked pretty hard and got straight A's if that's what you mean. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it make you feel good for more than just the purely personal gain, maybe a bit of "ha ha... I'm smarter than you, jerks?" It's not a mean feeling, just the thrill of a vanquished foe I guess. It was the same feeling I get now out of a good check-raise bluff.

raptor517
08-27-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it make you feel good for more than just the purely personal gain, maybe a bit of "ha ha... I'm smarter than you, jerks?" It's not a mean feeling, just the thrill of a vanquished foe I guess. It was the same feeling I get now out of a good check-raise bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

i get that feeling out of 3 betting people like you who think they bein sneaky bluff raising /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

08-27-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I wil tell you all my story about college. When I started, I knocked out the basic classes in about a year. I would still hang out with my high school friends at night and go to their parties. The problem with the parties is that I really dont like to drink. It might just be from 2 bad experiences...the first where i got really drunk and my dick just would not get hard for this bitch and the second when i passed out in the woods at some random ass college in Atlanta. So, I dont drink and I dont do drugs. Maybe I should...my life just might be a lot nicer.

So, since I dont drink and do drugs, there really isnt a whole lot for me to do at the parties, as that is all the kids do. I have tried going there and not drinking, but i feel like a total idiot, so I just dont go.

Last semester, I almost dropped out but I was pretty cool with the only 3 hot girls that just happened to be in all my classes, so I stayed in and got them to do all my work for me. It was nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif This semester, everoyne in all my classes is either really ugly or really weird...and to top if off, there was only one hot girl in one of my four classes. I guess hot women motivate me.

That all being said, I have no desire to learn some random ass [censored] about subjects I dont care about at all. I am pretty sure if I was studying something I actually was passionate about, I wouldnt have a problem. They should have classes on poker in college. Perhaps I will try again next semester with some econ classes. I dont know. I might just sit around and make a shitload of money playing poker. If you are making pleanty of money without college and dont get anything ouit of it, I see no reason at all to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude didn't even bother to read any of the posts he incited in the previous thread.

Good luck in life dude, you've got a rough road ahead of you.

FieryJustice
08-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Actually, I read every one of them and they are all greatly appreciated.

08-27-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I read every one of them and they are all greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I apologize for my remark.

jgunnip
08-27-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be carrying 15 credits and this is precisely what i'll be doing over the next 8 months. I wouldn't give up college if someone offered me a billion dollars.

Dylan Wade
08-27-2005, 02:58 AM
my college experience was kind of shitty becase i was fat nerdy and shy. learned about pot and drinking though. fortunately after college i lost like 70lbs and the nerdy and shy [censored] gradually went away with it.. but i wish i could relive the college years with more of a shot at the babes. thanks for rubbing it in, hah.. jk. but i think college means different things to different people.

raptor517
08-27-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be carrying 15 credits and this is precisely what i'll be doing over the next 8 months. I wouldn't give up college if someone offered me a billion dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

a billion? i mean cmon.. id take a billion in a heartbeat. id quit for a million and would just read every investment book ever written and learn to turn that million into a bunch of millions. holla

iMsoLucky0
08-27-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but i think college means different things to different people.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums up this thread perfectly.

I really think this is the most important statement made here, and I sincerely hope people will read this and understand/believe it.

Isura
08-27-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can relate to that a bit. I was always pretty jaded towards the partying/drinking/clubing thing in college. I guess it's just my personality. Watching a movie with my gf or having dinner with a few close friends was the type of activity more suited to me.

Slim Pickens
08-27-2005, 03:36 AM
I can't say the party-types really bothered me that much. They were fun to have around when I was in the mood and very easy to avoid when I wasn't. It was more the people who formed cliquish little study groups including only their friends from the same suburban LA high school, then cried after getting that first college exam back with a C- rather than a smiley-face sticker on it.

OK, I'm not as bitter as I sound. I just found it amusing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jgunnip
08-27-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a billion? i mean cmon.. id take a billion in a heartbeat. id quit for a million and would just read every investment book ever written and learn to turn that million into a bunch of millions. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be close. For me, college is all about the means and not the ends. The degree and all that jazz is something that, yeah, I'll end up copmleting, but the people, experiences, the drinking before classes, the football saturdays, etc, are priceless.

raptor517
08-27-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be close. For me, college is all about the means and not the ends. The degree and all that jazz is something that, yeah, I'll end up copmleting, but the people, experiences, the drinking before classes, the football saturdays, etc, are priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think my price tag for all that is quite a bit less than a billion. a billion is a lot.. to each and their own /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Myst
08-27-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think my price tag for all that is quite a bit less than a billion. a billion is a lot.. to each and their own /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

[/ QUOTE ]

A billion dollars?!?!?!? You could buy your own college with that money.

The Don
08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A billion dollars?!?!?!? You could buy your own college with that money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give it up for $5 million in a flash. I would still hang out with my friends and stuff... just wouldn't go to class. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Degen
08-28-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expereinced all of those things for my first 3 years of school, and I simply have no motivation to finish the last year.

My relationship is not -EV, trust me.

I said that I realize that there is more to the college experience than just a degree, but for me, at this point all college is is just a degree. I lived in the dorms for a year, I lived in a fraternity house for a year, and now I am married. I feel I have completed a sufficient college experience to become a well-adjusted adult.

The degree would be uselss for me, though, because even withotu poker I would not be using it for anything. I have gotten everything I need from college, so now I am done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow ok, i apologize for not being fully informed before responding like that...but i still think what i sad hold's true for the average student, and i didn't mean to say YOUR's is -EV, just that in general, people would be better off IMO to wait and be young while young and in school

finishing school gives you mad outs man, you may not need the degree now, but who knows where you'll be in five years, where poker will be etc.

to each his own but i'm damned glad i banked mine

jgunnip
08-29-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
finishing school gives you mad outs man

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

good2cu
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM
There are fun classes to take in college. I'm taking a "Casino Industry" class, which is full of degnerate gamvlers like myself. Professor seems realy cool and is banned from half the casinos on the strip for card counting. This is at MSU. But there are good classes just ahve to find them.

raptor517
08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are fun classes to take in college. I'm taking a "Casino Industry" class, which is full of degnerate gamvlers like myself. Professor seems realy cool and is banned from half the casinos on the strip for card counting. This is at MSU. But there are good classes just ahve to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

find the tcu class breakdown and tell me what classes would be good. i been looking for 3 semesters now. holla

skipperbob
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

find the tcu class breakdown and tell me what classes would be good. i been looking for 3 semesters now. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Please Try:
a.) English I
b.) English I (make-up)
c.) Child Psychology - (Self Medicated)
d.) [censored]-Phyllic Relations I
e.) Euclidian Geometry

*boy; that moderator hates references to "PCF's" no matter how oblique /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*boy; that moderator hates references to "PCF's" no matter how oblique /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm so lost. there's so many acronyms on this forum that my mind is totally blown. i cannot follow them. i concede.

citanul

jeffraider
08-29-2005, 06:59 PM
The real point of Irie's post is that you should certainly be smoking weed.

lastsamurai
09-06-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UCSD is now famous for being a socially dead campus overflowing with engineering and computer science majors who dedicate their life to making your life hell in any class with a curve. Majoring in Economics lets me avoid a lot of this though

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that was me. I minored in economics so that was a welcome break when I needed it. Wait around til the first week of Spring. I swear they bring hot high school seniors in short sundresses to campus because I saw those girls that week and never again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time i checked TJ was just 30 mins away south! Love those hotdogs...

I was still pretty much in college a year after i graduated living in the fraternity house. fun times!

sng-sam
09-06-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude? San Francisco? are you sure they were chicks?

Straight Flushes,

SAM