PDA

View Full Version : Travel Channels HE info

Bama Boy
04-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Has anyone checked out the Travel channels version of HE? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Oh well, at least they are showing poker on TV, even if they seem clueless about what it is they are showing.

Travel Channel HE Game (http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/worldpoker/games/texasholdem.html)

eMarkM
04-09-2003, 12:22 PM
You're talking about the new WPT I take it. Pathetic? Be more specific than your sweeping generalization. What exactly is your problem with it. Well, it's not perfect, but it's miles ahead of past coverage. I've only seen one show (the one where Chris K beats Hon Lee) and was very impressed with it. Some think the whole "Millionaire" set is cheesy, but on the whole the production values are quite good.

It needs to find its audience, but it will come with time. They kind of straddle the fence between dumbing it down for newbies and getting into advanced strategy. But I think it's a pretty fair balance, they can't only appeal to the hardcore players.

The fact that they show every player's cards, even the ones who fold, is huge. Make so much difference when you really see how everyone plays instead of events where you only see the cards in showdowns that only rarely happen.

The best part, to me, is the two hour format. You don't see every hand (and who would really want to sit through all that anyway), but enough to get a good feel for the action taking place. When it's only an hour it's just too heavily edited to get any sense of what's going on. I thought last week's show was pretty suspenseful compared with the "watching paint dry" coverage you usually get of these events.

marbles
04-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Actually, I think he's talking about the video version of the game itself, which is available at the link on his post. And yes, it (the video game, not WPT coverage) is a pretty feeble representation.

eMarkM
04-09-2003, 02:29 PM
n/m

Bama Boy
04-09-2003, 03:09 PM
I agree with the show, I think its great. A friend of mine who plays in a "passive/kinda friendly/every other week" game said he and his wife watched, and SHE even liked it. And she's not the poker liking type. From talking to people, I know its giving alot of people some appreciation for all that poker is, above being a game of luck.

Looking forward to tonight's show!