PDA

View Full Version : Final Table Blind vs Blind Hand

Double Eagle
08-26-2005, 03:07 AM
From tonites's $109NL. Pays $1700 for 5th up to $8k for first. Villain is very LAGgy and not very good. What do you think of the way I played the hand, and should I call this river bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t125993)
Hero (t127350)
UTG (t107301)
MP (t24740)
Button (t63116)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t16000</font>, SB calls t12000.

Flop: (t30800) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t20000</font>, SB calls t20000.

Turn: (t70800) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t70800) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t32000</font>, Hero ???

shaniac
08-26-2005, 03:14 AM
I think you have to decide what you want to do with your hand on the turn. I'd bet the turn; things usually become clearer when it's you who fires in the 32K, rather than your opponent.

My guess is you called and he showed AJ or AQ.

08-26-2005, 04:06 AM
I think you were beat on the river. At some point probally the turn you really needed to find out where you stood in the hand. You turned the tables on yourself and let him control the action. I think at this point you should fold on the river. He put out what looks to be a value bet at the end also. Like he was asking for a call. My guess is he had a strong ace.

Seadood228
08-26-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm really not too worried about the ace on the river as I'd suspect he'd raise first in with any ace.

I'm also okay on the turn if you are up against a tricky player. He probably knows that he'll fold 90% of your possible holdings with a c/r allin on the turn given that board. I wouldn't be too worried about giving a free card here because, if you are ahead, I give your opponent 5 outs at best. Overcards don't scare me too much because a) he probably wouldn't have called the flop with them anyway and b) I suspect he would have raised pf with 2 cards about ten.

What I don't like is the fact that he led into you on the river knowing there's a good chance the ace hit you. If your opponent were a decent player I think you can safely fold in this spot. Since he's not very good, I'd probably call this.

Double Eagle
08-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I let most of my time bank tick off before calling him - if I didn't have the "LAGgy/not very good" read on him I might have gone ahead and folded. Unfortunately he showed A5 for the runner runner boat. Ouch.

durron597
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Bet the turn, since you didn't, fold the river.

Anything he could have called the flop with just got there on the river, unless you think he would complete call with a hand like 67.

schwza
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
i only bet the turn if

- villain is not so laggy that he will c/r with AT high or
- is so laggy that he'll do that a ton and i can make a profitable call

because once the villain calls the flop and a 5 hits, what do we beat? a4, 66, not a whole lot. maybe KQ if he sucks.

SossMan
08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
As I told you on the phone, I think that you have a fold there on the river. You raised him preflop. You cont bet the flop. You checked behind on the turn. Sure looks like you can have an ace there. Yet he's betting into you. Does he do this with 67? That's really the only drawing hand on the flop. Either he flopped huge or got there either on the turn or river (or both, as it turns out).

If you fold, you still have like 90k. Keep your chip position.

Double Eagle
08-26-2005, 02:22 PM
In retrospect a pretty easy river fold. We need mulligans in poker.

Potowame
08-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Thats a great break down of the hand sossman..

Evaluateing the hand that way I can't see a call, I think calling here is kinda tilty.

SossMan
08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats a great break down of the hand sossman..

Evaluateing the hand that way I can't see a call, I think calling here is kinda tilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. Just wanted to add that if we were OOP on this hand, it would play so different. We would have been forced to check to him twice, and would have likely had to pay off the river bet since we showed that amount of weakness.

Position rules...let's use it to our advantage.

08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Sometimes you just know you're beat and you have to lay it down. Poker is about everything but the cards.

betgo
08-27-2005, 01:45 AM
I would bet a little more on the flop, but I would check the turn.

Given villain is very laggy, this is heads up, and villain originally just completed, I would call the river. What does villain have? A 9, a 5, an ace? It seems unlikely that villain has 99-KK or an ace, since he completed and flat called. Wouldn't he be afraid of the ace unless he had an ace or a 5?