PDA

View Full Version : 2 limpers, AQs in SB (level 2)

45suited
08-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Just checking to see how everyone else plays this... I need some chips (105 in pot at this point - 15% of my stack), don't want to just complete, hate raising for 20-25% of my stack and playing the hand OOP, so I just push here. Obviously my stack size is a huge factor here.

What's your line here?

#Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 8: lstyd ( $1000 )
Seat 5: ajarvey ( $225 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $715 )
Seat 1: Ozznusyen ( $2460 )
Seat 4: BARRYO777 ( $530 )
Seat 9: bigchief59 ( $870 )
Seat 2: cykocyko ( $680 )
Seat 10: WeebsUK ( $775 )
Seat 7: chilly2004 ( $745 )

Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Ad Qd ]
lstyd calls [30].
bigchief59 folds.
WeebsUK folds.
Ozznusyen folds.
cykocyko calls [30].
BARRYO777 folds.
ajarvey folds.
HERO is all-In [700]
chilly2004 folds.
lstyd folds.
cykocyko folds.
HERO does not show cards.
HERO wins 805 chips

08-26-2005, 04:23 AM
That's a tricky spot. I never would have played it that way, but looking at the way you played it, maybe I should. I probably would have raised it and played even though I'd be OOP. Then again, I'm probably a sucker.

curtains
08-26-2005, 04:26 AM
It's definitely reasonable. I think I usually flat call here in the lower buyins, but with just a touch fewer chips I'd move allin.

Isura
08-26-2005, 05:59 AM
I don't mind a limp either. I would raise if they were tight postflop, since stealing on the flop will gain you more chips.

Newt_Buggs
08-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I might call, raise to 120, or push

Blindcurve
08-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Isn't this a situation where you are only getting called by a hand that beats you? If you're not dominating the hand that calls you, does it matter that you're flipping a coin for your stack?

I'm not sure what the answer is: I'm asking. My personal line is a raise to 180 and play OOP. But I'm not sure your play isn't better. Seems like most of the time you're butter, but when you get called, you're racing, again assuming something like AJ or AT or KQ doesn't donk on in there.

FOITNOF,

-D.

johnnybeef
08-26-2005, 06:55 AM
I dont get it...you arent desperately in need of chips, and you have a bunch of morons at your table. Take a flop, get your money in as a bigger favorite.

Beefcake

45suited
08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont get it...you arent desperately in need of chips, and you have a bunch of morons at your table. Take a flop, get your money in as a bigger favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple reasons for this:

1) When you are down to t700, picking up t105 uncontested is actually very significant.

2) Pushing negates my positional disadvantage.

3) The stacks are just not deep enough to play the hand in a conventional manner. Especially against bad players, I'd rather push now, possibly get some low to medium pocket pairs to fold, hopefully get some weaker aces to call. Obviously, sometimes the opposite happens. But the vast majority of the time, I've added 15% to my stack with not much risk (because of large amounts of FE).

BTW, I would also do this (with my stack) with TT.

To those who say that "you will only be called by a hand that beats you", this is one of the most overused and almost always wrong phrases out there. And the point really is, it is so unlikely (given the play of this hand) that there IS a hand out there that beats me that the play is worth it just to add the dead chips to my stack. But really, I see that phrased used alot on this forum, but it is almost always very untrue.

I'm not saying that I vehemently disagree with the other options listed by the other posters, but I am saying that I think that people tend to undervalue adding the t105 to a stack of t700. Winning "just the 105" is not a bad result here at all, IMO. As a bonus, if someone calls, I'm usually either racing or even ahead sometimes.