PDA

View Full Version : How to extract more money

AtticusFinch
08-26-2005, 12:43 AM
$50 blinds, I raise to 150 from sb with AQo, bb calls, flop is QQ6. I check the flop, turn is a blank (no flush draw). Check the turn, river is an ace. Check the river, and opp checks that down, too, turning over A9o. Opp and I both had about 800.

Should I have bet somewhere?

Isura
08-26-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. Probably betting 1/2 the pot or something on the flop is your best chance to get any action.

bigt439
08-26-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. Probably betting 1/2 the pot or something on the flop is your best chance to get any action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the turn... or the river... I start at the turn usually depending on reads.

The Yugoslavian
08-26-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the turn... or the river... I start at the turn usually depending on reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not the turn.

You want to get that flop action....your opponents are more likely to stuff more chips in there than on the turn or river (and it's not close)...this changes if you are trying to induce a bluff (opponent dependent).

Yugoslav

AtticusFinch
08-26-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No, not the turn.

You want to get that flop action....your opponents are more likely to stuff more chips in there than on the turn or river (and it's not close)...this changes if you are trying to induce a bluff (opponent dependent).

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo! Long time no talk, bro. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the opponent, he was super aggro -- taking down lots of pots on the flop. So yes, I was trying to induce a bluff. I was playing pretty tightly, so I figured if I came out betting he'd put me on a big hand.

Of course, a slow play is pretty obvious here. Truth be told, I think the only way I was making any more money was a modest bet on the river, which he might call having hit his ace. But that would require seeing through the cards.

08-26-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No, not the turn.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the opponent, he was super aggro -- taking down lots of pots on the flop. So yes, I was trying to induce a bluff. I was playing pretty tightly, so I figured if I came out betting he'd put me on a big hand.

Of course, a slow play is pretty obvious here. Truth be told, I think the only way I was making any more money was a modest bet on the river, which he might call having hit his ace. But that would require seeing through the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you played it fine. Had you slowplayed a hand against him before? Maybe he'd been scared away from bluffing you on a paired board.

The Yugoslavian
08-26-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No, not the turn.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I heard you got sucked into the world of warcraft? Or are those rumors false? That and stuff like graduating or something? Silly school....just do what everyone else does and quit to bajillion-table the 215s, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Yeah....I think your line is fine then given how you viewed the villian.

Yugoslav

AtticusFinch
08-26-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I heard you got sucked into the world of warcraft? Or are those rumors false?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies! Vicious slander! I would never get sucked into WoW. I got sucked into Guild Wars, dammit!

I quit a while back though. Ye olde barre exam got in the way.

[ QUOTE ]

That and stuff like graduating or something? Silly school....just do what everyone else does and quit to bajillion-table the 215s, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I figured working as a lawyer might improve my poker game.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah....I think your line is fine then given how you viewed the villian.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn! Now I KNOW I messed it up!

fisherman112
08-26-2005, 03:24 AM
i bet the flop. check the turn. call if he bets. lead the river.

jgunnip
08-27-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$50 blinds, I raise to 150 from sb with AQo, bb calls, flop is QQ6. I check the flop, turn is a blank (no flush draw). Check the turn, river is an ace. Check the river, and opp checks that down, too, turning over A9o. Opp and I both had about 800.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned that your read on villian is that he was aggro in which case i think checking the flop with the intention of calling a bet would be the best play. On the turn I like checking with the intention of check-raising, but on the end I think you have to throw a bet out here. Something in the range of t100-150. If he's got crap he's probably not calling any bet here and since he's aggro he probably would have taken a shot earlier if he did. However, you would not lose anything by throwing out a small bet on the river and giving him a chance to put some chips in the middle.

Chaostracize
08-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Against said opponent I check the flop then bet 1/3 pot on the turn. If you aren't getting action from that line you weren't going to get any, anyway (most likely).